Author Topic: Publicly announcing somebody else's address on Facebook? It's okay, post 3  (Read 2612 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
So, I am still Facebook friends with a number of people from a church I used to go to, before we moved away.  This church has this *amazing* woman who has just turn 100 and still runs her own business, etc.  Anyway, somebody from the church (who I am friends with) just posted, "For those who have been asking, <birthday woman's address>."  I'm assuming people have been asking where to send cards/gifts.  But the reality of it is, she's just posted a 100-year-old woman's address on Facebook.  *Probably* only friends can see it, but it still seems like it could be a security risk.  What if the elderly woman lives alone?  People can probably assume she does from context (I don't know if she does, though).

Should I say something to my friend?  Or is that overstepping?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:42:34 PM by MommyPenguin »

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Publicly announcing somebody else's address on Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »
Unless you are CERTAIN it is only viewable to the woman's friends, I would suggest that you mention that the post may very well be visible to anyone on the earth, including con artists and burglars.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

auntmeegs

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »
You said the birthday woman still runs a business - is it possible that your FB friend gave out the woman's work address, not her home address?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
I just asked, and it turns out that the woman lives in a retirement home with full security.  So it shouldn't be an issue of somebody having her information, as they are unlikely to be able to get in/think it worth the risk, anyway.

Thanks!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
That's good, but I hope someone doesn't send her some scam mail!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
It doesn't matter if she lives by herself in a house with no locks or a high security nursing home...addresses, phone numbers and the like should never be posted on FB.  A cutoff relative may see it, someone looking to scam grandma through a shady business deal may see it, it just is not done.  The person who did it should be counciled that the address should have only been given out privately to people she actually knows and interacts with.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
It doesn't matter if she lives by herself in a house with no locks or a high security nursing home...addresses, phone numbers and the like should never be posted on FB.  A cutoff relative may see it, someone looking to scam grandma through a shady business deal may see it, it just is not done.  The person who did it should be counciled that the address should have only been given out privately to people she actually knows and interacts with.

Assuming of course that the woman hasn't given permission for the OPs friend to publicise her address.

veronaz

Parking my POD here.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

Parking my POD here.

I agree.

lurkerwisp

Re: Publicly announcing somebody else's address on Facebook? It's okay, post 3
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
Me too.

It's a basic rule of the internet.  You don't post someone's address anywhere.