Author Topic: BCC's and Reply All - Augh!  (Read 2676 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
BCC's and Reply All - Augh!
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
The Party Planner for my child's classroom took all parent names at the beginning of the school year and just e-mailed us regarding the first party - she's looking for donations for the class Halloween party.

She sent the e-mail out to everyone and did not use BCC, so everyone on the list now can see my contact information. Also,  the parents are starting to use the "reply all" function to send their contributions back to the organizer. So far, I have received 10 emails on the topic and there are 35 kids in the class.

Any way I can politely point out to the organizer that she should be using BCC in the future? I probably can't do much about the "reply all" parents, except delete the e-mails but it is very annoying. Every time I come up with a draft to the organizer, it sounds snarky. I realize I'm not in a good way post-work so now is probably not the time for me to send the e-mail to her, but I don't want her to continue sending my e-mail out to everyone on the list. Help with phrasing?

I apologize - because I'm pretty sure that someone posted something similar to this but I can't seem to find it.

"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: BCC's and Reply All - Augh!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
Everyone has different opinions on this. Some would like to see what others are offering to do so they don't duplicate so like the reply all. Some people like me have no issue with my email being public to the other people on the email list. I always kept 3 emails... Corporate provided, personal, and volunteer one that was used for groups I belonged to or organizations i volunteered with. So if a zillion people had that one, I didn't care.

I think you can send a note to the organizer that you prefer your email kept private and to please BCC you on communications. 

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »
I don't know about the BCC. But as far as the "reply all" I think in many circles, that is done so that there aren't 57 offers of chocolate chip cookies and 17 offers of Sprite. This way, everyone knows that Salsa is covered and the organizer doesn't need to keep telling people "Thank you, but that's already taken care of."

sweetonsno

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:22:33 AM »
Dear Organizer:

I'd prefer not have my personal/work email viewable to all of the other parents in the class. For future emails, would you please put my address in the BCC box so it's not viewable to other recipients?

Thanks,
MammaMotz

As for the Reply All, I'd ignore it. If you reply all with a note asking people to stop using the Reply All function, people will definitely pay attention to your email address. You may also get replies/reply alls agreeing with, thanking, or apologizing to you.

squeakers

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:04:25 AM »
I like what sweetonsno wrote.

My main worry is that my email ends up in someone's address file.. and then they get a virus/hijacked and that "for school only" email address becomes inundated with spam.  That happened last year and I had to make a new email for my boys' school notes/updates/calendar items.

I complained... and that teacher apologized.  Then 3 days later the spam started showing up.  I think _that_ proved my point because all future correspondence to my new email address has been spam free and BCC ever since.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

greencat

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 01:48:11 AM »
I have previously had this issue - I joined a large local event group where everyone certainly does not need each other's contact information, and actual event sign-up is done on a webpage.  I'm afraid the note I sent the email list owner was quite blunt - "Hey - you should send this out BCC instead of showing EVERYONE'S EMAIL TO EVERYONE ELSE on this list."  However, he's a blunt sort of person himself, and didn't take offense at it, and the next email went out with no one's email in the CC field.  I later realized that his job involves dealing with confidential data and maintaining the confidentiality of that data - I imagine he was a bit chagrined at the realization of what he was doing.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
Hi, OP here.

I understand this:

But as far as the "reply all" I think in many circles, that is done so that there aren't 57 offers of chocolate chip cookies and 17 offers of Sprite. This way, everyone knows that Salsa is covered and the organizer doesn't need to keep telling people "Thank you, but that's already taken care of."

which is why although I am deleting 35 e-mails from my inbox with offers of napkins, tablecloths, salsa, and chips, I'm not making a big deal out of it.

On the BCC issue, though - I really don't want this list of people having access to my e-mail address. Any one of them could be running their own MLM business from home, or use it for reasons other than class activities. I'm going to use the verbiage sweetsoandso wrote (thank you!) as that doesn't sound snarky as my original e-mail did.

I don't maintain more than one e-mail address, so this is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the advice - and I'm glad I waited a day before I sent anything. Last night after a very stressful Monday was not the time to do anything.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

MrTango

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »
OP, I agree with you that people sending out mass emails should use the BCC function in order to protect the privacy of the recipients of the email.

If I got spammed by someone because of an email list, I would set up my email program to regard all messages from that person as spam.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »
In this very narrow spectrum of an email, I can see why the reply all is being used.  As another poster suggested, to avoid duplicate contributions.

If you don't want to contribute or don't care if it's duplicated, just ask the organizer to leave your email off the list.  By making it all BCC,  you are making it harder on the organizer (who is probably an volunteer) as he or she might get a lot of duplicates and have to resend out emails to each person and say no that person got it etc.  This reply all in this exact scenario is perfect way to organize a party.

In all other scenarios, i agree with the BCC.  I would wait and see if another email is sent out that doesn't require you to see what others are bringing etc and if BCC was used.  If it wasn't, then send an email asking for BCC to be used.

lorelai

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »
The organizer could set up a google doc so people could write in their contributions. You don't need a google acct in order to edit the doc. This would remove the need for replying all for potlucks and things like this.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 12:21:18 AM »
I just got an email tonight from my son's dance school about the November special in their store.  And my address and the other almost 550 recipients were all in the 'To:' line.  I just sent them an email  (I did NOT do 'reply all'!) asking them to use the BCC line for addresses for future mailings, and if they don't want to, then please take my name off the mailing list.

I got the email on my phone, and do you know how long it took me to scroll through almost 550 addresses before I got to the body of the message?  Sheesh!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
I know my email service will stop me and say, "This message doesn't have a subject; are you sure you still want to send it?"

I wish they'd all have a built-in check that says: "This message has 6 or more addresses in the 'to:' field--are you sure those shouldn't be in the 'bcc:' field to keep those addresses private?"

I know that at work, my email is set up so that I have to do a lot of clicking here and there to get a bcc field, mostly because I don't use it often, and there's something about that setting that I do use a lot.

I think a lot of people just don't know about the bcc field.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 07:58:12 AM »
I know my email service will stop me and say, "This message doesn't have a subject; are you sure you still want to send it?"

I wish they'd all have a built-in check that says: "This message has 6 or more addresses in the 'to:' field--are you sure those shouldn't be in the 'bcc:' field to keep those addresses private?"

I know that at work, my email is set up so that I have to do a lot of clicking here and there to get a bcc field, mostly because I don't use it often, and there's something about that setting that I do use a lot.

I think a lot of people just don't know about the bcc field.

I wish they'd do both, too, but I think that the subject line one is more about avoiding your message appearing as spam. That's what I've always been told.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

msulinski

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »
Well, BCC and Reply All are mutually exclusive, so if you end up being BCC'd in the future, you will not get any of the replies.