A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

TV Licence

<< < (2/6) > >>

Bright:
I'm in the UK. I've not had a television, or a TV License for years, not since the digital switch over.

"You need a TV License if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - online, on a TV, or on any device (even a laptop)"

It's 145 a year and the money goes to fund the BBC. I believe there's now a selection of freeview channels most people get, which are funded by advertising as well as the BBC channels. Anything fancy though you need to pay extra. And it doesn't matter if you don't watch BBC, you still have to pay the license. 

I don't like the TV License company since they treat people who don't own televisions like criminals. 
 They assume everyone with a postcode has a television and send threatening letters. I'd huge difficulties getting them to accept that I don't own a tv.

kherbert05:
The UK is the only place that I've heard of having a TV licence. My understanding it is funds commercial free tv on BBC.

In the US, the people own the airwaves. They are "loaned" to the broadcast TV people and those stations must meet certain requirements about news, educational tv, and have restrictions on language, scrabble related activities.

PBS is commercial free. It is funded by grants, and donations.

"basic cable" has more freedom about language and scrabble. They pay fees to the broadcast stations to rebroadcast them*. You have to pay a fee, usually based on Tiers.

Premium stations cost and and pretty much have no restrictions.

* These rebroadcast fees are why the broadcast stations are suing Aereo and similar companies. I am a cord cutter. I tried a digital antenna but had problems getting certain stations. Aereo came to Houston. I pay $12.00 a month to rent a remote digital antenna and DVR. I can record 2 shows at a time up to 60 hours storage. I use that Hulu, netflix, and amazon instant to get my TV. I use a roku to get my shows on my TV via the internet. So far the broadcasters have lost their suits.

cicero:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on October 28, 2013, 10:55:23 PM ---The UK is the only place that I've heard of having a TV licence. My understanding it is funds commercial free tv on BBC.
[\quote]
Nope - we have iut in Israel too. It's approximately 100$per year. You have to pay it if you own a TV, doesn't matter if you use it or not, or if you use you TV only to watch DVD s.

It funds our public TV station, channel one, which is supposedly commercial free but no it exactly as they use it for *government* and *NGO * clips. I don't own a tv- since *everyone * has cable/sattelite it's impossible to get anything but snow on a regular TV set ( although by law it,s  suppised to be availablke asnd i think that you can get a box for the three free stations), and I don't' want to get cable/sat. So never bothered.
--- End quote ---

Ereine:
We used to have tv licence in Finland, I that it worked pretty much the same as in the UK. The money went to funding the national broadcasting company and you had to have a licence to watch tv and they had inspectors (usually off-duty policemen) you would visit people who didn't have a licence (so that some people would only open the door for people who knew their secret doorbell code). They couldn't enter the home but if they saw or heard the tv they could fine you. I'm not sure how much it cost because I've never had a tv licence (or a tv, because I didn't want to pay for it). This year it was changed into a tax that everyone has to pay, even if they don't watch tv (I still don't have one but don't mind paying it because I think that public broadcasting is important), I think that it got too difficult to monitor with new technology. 

Edit: I realised how contradictory I sound. I didn't want to pay for the licence because it was pretty expensive and most of the time I couldn't afford it, the tax isn't as much (it's based on your income).

scotcat60:
I don't like the TV License company since they treat people who don't own televisions like criminals. 
 They assume everyone with a postcode has a television and send threatening letters. I'd huge difficulties getting them to accept that I don't own a tv.

A friend of mine had the same trouble. So many people have TVs, mobile phones and computers these days that you get looked at as odd if you don't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version