Author Topic: Jaw-dropping co-worker comments  (Read 2835 times)

veronaz

Jaw-dropping co-worker comments
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
I’m talking about things that people you work with (or have in the past) say that go WAY beyond being eyeroll-worthy.

(I told about a few in the “Define classy” thread, but don’t want to derail it.)

Okay - -
Years ago a young woman was hired as training coordinator.  We sat in close proximity and had to work closely together.  When she started, I really liked her.  She was personable, bright, energetic, and seemed to have a fresh perspective.

But during her first week, she told me and another female co-worker that she’d had problems at other jobs because women felt threatened by her.  She said “it’s not my fault – men just won’t leave me alone even though I’m married.”  ???

I asked her why she was telling us this.  Her (rather terse) response was “Because I’m honest.”

As time went on, she became quite a piece of work ………challenge.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:28:13 PM by veronaz »

onikenbai

Re: Jaw-dropping co-worker comments
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
Our IT guy is well known for dropping bombs and everybody hates him for it.  He came by my cube for absolutely no other reason than to tell me that I was looking particularly fat that day.  I apparently was looking almost thin-normalish for a bit, but lately I had looked like I had gained a whole bunch of weight back and I was back to being decidedly fat.

Another instance of fame was the day he commented that I looked horrible with a tan (I do field work outside in the summer and no amount of sun screen can prevent it) and that I'm a white girl and that white girls should stay white.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:41:05 PM »
Not really a comment... more of an action.

So my coworker... we will call him James. We were both working for a grocery store.

I was doing something in the front of the store, can't remember what, and James shouts at me. I stand up and he throws a box at me. Deliberately throws a box at me. I was hit in the face.

Yeah... I am just curious as to why I was the one fired.

veronaz

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »
I was working in the legal dept. of a large corporation.  On my first day, a pleasant young woman came and introduced herself and we chatted for a few minutes.  She asked if I had children, I said no, and asked "You?".

Her reply: "No.  I'm gay.  And if you ever hear anyone make remarks about my lifestyle, please let me know."

???

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:07:31 PM »
The on-topic area is for on-topic discussion only.