Author Topic: Audiobooks - How do people enjoy them?  (Read 2001 times)

AngelicGamer

Audiobooks - How do people enjoy them?
« on: October 29, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
So, the only time that I have been able to enjoy an audiobook is on a car trip.  Mostly because I will get sick most of the time if I try to read in a car and because we (my friend and I) have very different tastes in music.  So we decided on audiobooks for our now epic car trip.

However, I'd like to start enjoying them while not in the car.  I can't drive (disability) but I know that other people on EHell do like audiobooks.  How do you enjoy them?  Any tips on how to get past the fact that I want to grab a book and read along?  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

QueenfaninCA

Re: Audiobooks - How do people enjoy them?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »
Long solo car trips and "reading" while I'm knitting or doing household stuff like folding laundry etc.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
I play them in the evening when I am trying to sleep. I can't sleep if it is quiet and an audiobook helps me give my mind something to concentrate on instead of reliving and magnifying everything that went well/wrong that day.

NestHolder

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
I listen to books while I'm knitting or making cards.  If I get really caught up, I will continue to listen while I'm cooking.  It's a nice way to have one's head occupied while the hands are busy!

Oddly, I don't listen to books in the car—all mine are (unfortunately) on cassette, and the car doesn't have a player.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »
I used to share a bedroom with my sister.  I listen to books with headphones when I couldn't sleep and can't turn on the light.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »
In the car- whether commuting to/from work, or in road trips.

I sometimes do listen to them at home while surfing the net- but this is not the usual way.
I have pet mice!

NyaChan

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
I usually only listen to them on long drives where I can start and finish in one go. Otherwise it drives me crazy that I have to stop mid-book otherwise, especially when I know I could have read the book myself in a fraction of the time it takes to have someone else read it to me.

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »
I listen to audiobooks while milking goats. It helps pass the time.

Captains Flat, Australia

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
 Pretty much the same as above. Knitting, getting to sleep,  and long runs. I like audio books more than music for 2+ hour runs.
Not such a newbie anymore

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 08:04:48 PM »
Audible member since 2001

Long commutes - You don't drive but do you take public transportation?
Walks (I do the one ear bud in one out to hear traffic)
Cleaning/housework
Gardening
Relaxing in the bath
Cleaning my classroom
I do the listen while going to sleep thing - but only books that I already have read.

If you do kindle you can have whisper sync that links an audible book with the kindle version. You can listen when you can't safely read then pick up the kindle version and read from where the audible version left off.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Library Dragon

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 09:19:58 PM »
Laundry gets done because I'm listening to a book.  This weekend I'll be cleaning out closets and planning the book that I'll listen to during a task I dislike.  I also listen while cooking. 

At work I used to listen while cataloging or repairing books, also while prepping materials for story time. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

amyg

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
I haven't driven in years, but I listen to audiobooks on my iPod while I'm commuting on the subway or walking. They're good for cleaning the house, too. I think a subscription to Audible is pretty reasonable, but then I review audiobooks, so I get all of mine for free. :-) If you're looking to rip CDs to put on an iPod and you have a Mac, I recommend a $10 piece of software called Audiobook Builder, which compresses the MP3s into audiobook files.

I know the pace of audiobooks is slower than reading, but I think the focused attention you have to pay to an audiobook can make the experience more intense than reading it. Voices can also add a layer of meaning to the audiobook--for example, accents can indicate a character's place in society. Or having Wil Wheaton narrate REDSHIRTS (which is a deconstruction of STAR TREK) adds a whole level of meta to the book.

suzieQ

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 09:42:33 PM »
While driving, cleaning house, quilting, etc. Pretty much any time I'm not concentrating on reading something or playing a game, I'm listening to something.
It took me forever to figure out how to change the CDs I rip to iTunes into Audiobook format! I'm so glad I finally got it - makes it much easier to access the books - I don't have to tell it to start a new disc or anything. It goes from the beginning of the book to the end without input from me.
I check my audiobooks out of the library.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

magician5

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 10:36:09 PM »
I have tried, tried, tried ... but my mind always wanders. I have no idea what I've heard.

It's a different matter with podcasts, to which I can half-listen, at my computer or on my mp3 player. Aside from music, my favo0rites are comedy albums or April Winchell's hilarious old broadcasts from L.A.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

katycoo

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 10:39:20 PM »
I don't listen to audio books, but I enjoy podcasts in the car, on public transport, when out walking/exercising on equipment.