Author Topic: Audiobooks - How do people enjoy them?  (Read 1995 times)

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
Re: Audiobooks - How do people enjoy them?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »
I listen to audiobooks on my commute, when I knit or do house chores. I love it!
No matter where you go, there you are...

AngelicGamer

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 11:25:15 PM »
Yep, I take public transport.  Or I walk, in the way that a PP described with only one headphone on the ear.  Or with them around my neck and at a volume that I can hear but I still can understand what's happening around me.

I can see listening when I'm doing dishes though.  Or when I'm just puttering around.  I have some podcasts that I listen to but they never seem to be enough.  So I'll try listening as others have and see if it works.  Thanks all!

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

AvidReader

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 06:41:12 AM »
I listen to audiobooks all the time.  Housework, gardening, on my runs, on public transit, before I go to sleep, etc.  I've been listening to audiobooks since at least 2005.  I download them for free from the public library's audiobook/ebook download service.  If they don't have a title that is downloadable, I'll borrow it on CD and rip it to my player.  Depending on the length, I'll listen to 2 or more books a week.  Sometimes, I'll pick a book because I like the reader's voice.  This has led me to try different genres and subject matter.  On long drives, I'll get a book that I think DH will enjoy and we'll both listen to it.  If I had to pay for audiobooks, I'd be in the poorhouse by now.

In our large metropolitan area, all the different city and county library systems have reciprocal borrowing privileges, so I have library cards from all of them.  My little trick is to reserve the latest and greatest at all the libraries, then download the book from the system that first informs me that it is available for my use.  Then I cancel my reserves at the other library systems.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 06:44:31 AM »
I can only listen to them when driving on long car trips that take the highways. Otherwise, I'm too intent on concentrating on the surrounding traffic and my mind blocks out the voice that is reading to me. So I end up missing large chunks of the book.

But on a highway, with hundreds of miles to go and boring scenery and just driving in pretty much a straight line, audio books save my sanity.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 07:19:41 AM »
For me it truly depends on the narrator.   Even if it's a book I know I'll love and it's incredibly interesting in print, if the narrator reads it with a dull monotone, I'm done before even the first chapter's over.

I used to really enjoy the audio books of the Stephanie Plum series, as the reader would do voices and read different characters with different inflections so that it made it very enjoyable to listen to.

Then there's the Keith Richards autobiography, which I bought in that form because Keith himself read the foreword and last chapter, and Johnny Depp read much of it, along with someone else.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
I'll agree that a good narrator is important.  I am a *huge* fan of Jim Dale as  reader.

To me, though, the main issue is keeping my hands busy.  So try listening to audiobooks while washing dishes, folding laundry, gardening, working on a craft, putting photos in albums, (the endless lamination/cutting out of stuff for school), anything that requires work with your hands but not a lot of attention (like where you could hold a conversation without difficulty). 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »
I have tried, tried, tried ... but my mind always wanders. I have no idea what I've heard.

It's a different matter with podcasts, to which I can half-listen, at my computer or on my mp3 player. Aside from music, my favo0rites are comedy albums or April Winchell's hilarious old broadcasts from L.A.

Me too! And in the car, they lull me right to sleep which is not what you want when you're driving!  I used to work for a publisher, back in teh day, and would commute into NYC by bus. I had my trusty cassette walkman, and got a lot of free audios but each time I'd put one in, nad settle down to listen, I'd drop right off.

I will sometimes listen to podcasts, but really only when the power goes out, and there is NOTHING to do at night when its dark. I really wish I could listen to audiobooks, since my mom lives a good 8 hours from me, but I just can't.

every now and again I can listen to something short while doing stuff around the house, but only for 15 minutes or so.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »
I have tried, tried, tried ... but my mind always wanders. I have no idea what I've heard.

POD to this!  In one epic fail, I listened to the same audiobook five times in three weeks and still missed a great deal of it.  I finally managed to pay attention to the ending, and nearly had a car wreck because I was crying so hard.  I gave up on them after that. 

It's not just audiobooks.  I zone out the television, the radio, podcasts, etc.  As soon as I start doing something else, anything audible seems to get shoved into the corner of my mind labeled "not important".

lowspark

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 12:00:32 PM »
I love listening to audio books in my car. I only have a ~15-20 minute commute each way to work but I still enjoy listening to books during that time. It takes a while to finish a book, especially longer ones, but that just extends the enjoyment. It gives me something to look forward to and also makes it so that when I do get stuck in traffic for whatever reason, it's not as annoying because it just means more progress with my current book!

I do get distracted sometimes, especially when I suddenly need to be really alert because of whatever is going on in the traffic, but then I just rewind a bit.

At home, I listen to podcasts while I'm cooking or doing mindless stuff around the house.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
I listen to audiobooks a lot (as well as some longer podcasts - The History of Rome is still my favourite): doing chores, walking, chain making, etc.

I usually listen to them twice, as I sometimes get distracted and miss a few points but I don't mind. I listen mainly to fun stuff or non fiction (where I usually do read multiple times anyway).

I just finished Neil Gaiman's latest book. I love his reading style as well as his stories. His voice is so smooth. Now, I am listening to a book on Mithridates IV, who fascinated me when I was reading Roman history. However, the last time my mind wandered, I came back to find him married to his sister!

cwm

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 01:09:55 PM »
I can only do audiobooks during long-haul car trips. At least two to three hours in a go. Any shorter than that and my mind will wander too much, or I'll get frustrated that I'm not getting enough of the story.

I will agree with a PP that audiobooks is a completely different experience than reading a book. I read Pet Semarary and yeah, it was kinda creepy, but not too bad. But then I listened to the audiobook and it was much creepier and more sinister.

There was one book I got as an audiobook first, and when I went back and read it afterwards, it was so much more enjoyable because I knew exactly how the author had intended the phrasing on this to be, and what tone was intended to be conveyed.

I wish I could afford to take more road trips, as I love audiobooks, but I just can't. :(

unnalee

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »
I used to listen to them on my work commute.  It was 15 minutes each way, so that let me hear a good chunk every day.  But when we moved, my commute is now only about 5 minutes and it bugs me to just get back into the plot as I'm pulling into the parking lot.  The only good time recently that I have a block of time set aside that won't allow me to move around is when I'm nursing the baby.  I think with the last munchkin, I could get through an average audiobook in about a week.

daen

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »
I'll agree that a good narrator is important.  I am a *huge* fan of Jim Dale as  reader.

To me, though, the main issue is keeping my hands busy.  So try listening to audiobooks while washing dishes, folding laundry, gardening, working on a craft, putting photos in albums, (the endless lamination/cutting out of stuff for school), anything that requires work with your hands but not a lot of attention (like where you could hold a conversation without difficulty). 

I fully agree with MommyPenguin and all previous posters about the importance of the narrator. I've stopped in the first six sentences because the narrator grates on me. At the other extreme, I would almost consider listening to Return of the Native performed by Alan Rickman - and I loathe Thomas Hardy. I've enjoyed listening to Campbell Scott, and I discovered one author because I found one of his titles performed by Scott. He has a distinctive voice, which I recognized solely from a bit part he had in Dead Again.

I picked up audio books for those knitting projects that were too complicated for me to do whilst watching TV. Otherwise, I don't usually bother, because I read very quickly, and the pace of an audio book is so very very slow by comparison, especially when I need to know what happens next.

emwithme

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 01:57:11 PM »
I use audiobooks to help me to get to sleep.

I just *cannot* switch my brain off.  It doesn't happen.  If there's no noise in the background, my head goes round and round and round and round and ROUND and ROUND etc etc.  Things that have happened that day, things that I either want or DONOTWANT to happen, things that happened *ahem* years ago.  I just can't stop thinking. 

I also suffer from tinnitus.  I've tried a white noise generator, but it just didn't work for me. 

So I pop on an audio book and lay there and listen and fall to sleep.  The second night, I'll go to about 15 minutes before I've fallen asleep on night one, so I have a lead-in to where I am in the storyline. 

I listen to both fiction and non-fiction.  Recently, I've listened to the full Radio 4 series of English history, This Sceptered Isle, some Roald Dahl (children's) books, and am currently listening to a Harlan Coben book. 

My local library rents unabridged audiobooks for only £1 for three weeks, which is generally long enough for me to fully enjoy a story, and means I don't spend a fortune on things I'm only going to listen to once or twice. 

lowspark

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I just finished listening to Bag of Bones by Stephen King who did the reading for his own audio book. There was a very short interview with him after the book ended where he was commenting on his motivation for doing the audio book for this particular novel. He mentioned that he loves audio books and discovered them back in 1979 and at that time, it was harder to get unabridged books on tape.

He also mentioned one of the things that he likes about them, which happens to be exactly what I love, is that you can't skip ahead in an audio book the way you can when actually reading. I'm paraphrasing while at the same time expressing my own feelings, but the gist of it was that if you're reading a really good book, you tend to want to skim over some of it to hurry up and find out what will happen next. Whereas, in an audio book, you have no choice but to listen at the pace the reader is reading. Which, of course, means you're getting every word the author wrote and that's definitely better for the reader.