Author Topic: Is There A Polite Way Of Conveying This Message?  (Read 6195 times)

lowspark

Re: Is There A Polite Way Of Conveying This Message?
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »
One of my coworkers has a daughter, 9 years old, who is allergic to peanuts. So I asked her what they do. She said they just toss the candy she can't eat. Or rather, they gave it to her nephew who happened to be visiting. We had a back and forth conversation about it and here's the gist of what she told me.

The daughter understands her peanut allergy and understands that she has to be careful about what she eats. She (the daughter) reads labels and avoids things that have been manufactured in places which have peanuts (although apparently she can eat some of those things). She doesn't get upset or disappointed about things she can't eat as she's pretty used to it. I was listing out the candy we had handed out last night, kitkat, whoppers, reese's & hershey's milk chocolate. Coworker said, oh, she can eat all of those except the reese's!

So, that's just one perspective but my coworker was really casual about the whole thing. I got the idea that, sure, it's an inconvenience and they hope she will outgrow the allergy as they test her periodically, and she has outgrown some other food allergies, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just not that big a deal. They deal with it and don't make it out to be anything to get in a twist about and the daughter takes it mostly in stride.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
Re: Is There A Polite Way Of Conveying This Message?
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
Why is attempting to draw public attention to a common issue appearing to be so offensive to people?

It's not the message in this case, albeit rather unrealistic considering it's Halloween, but the delivery. Thread locked.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.