Author Topic: privacy in the bathroom -- am I crazy or is everyone else?  (Read 4983 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: privacy in the bathroom -- am I crazy or is everyone else?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
I'm a talker - it can cover up the sound of what you are doing sometimes, which I like.  But I've learned which people are talkers and which ones aren't and only talk to the like minded folks.  I wear something called the Wellness Belt and I leave it on the counter when I use the stall so people know it is me in there.  If they talk to me, I'll talk to them when I know it is them in the other stall.

BarensMom, that is appalling.  Glad she was transferred!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »
My extrovert levels go off the Myers-Briggs scale and I hate this!

When I'm in the stall I don't want to chat.  By the sink is acceptable.

MrTango

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
My extrovert levels go off the Myers-Briggs scale and I hate this!

When I'm in the stall I don't want to chat.  By the sink is acceptable.

Agreed.  The bathroom is not a place for socializing.

Betelnut

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
If I'm already in a stall and someone comes in, I don't want them suddenly striking up a conversation with me (How do you know who is in here anyway).

But say I'm talking with someone as I'm walking into the bathroom and we each go into a stall and she finishes saying what she is saying, I'm ok with that.

If someone is in the bathroom washing their hands and I walk in and say Hi and then go into a stall, I don't want them carrying on a conversation with me unless they are my DD, my sister, a very good friend or it's an emergency they need to tell me about.

This is pretty much where I am on this issue--some conversation, if started before hitting the stall, is okay.  But  I hate the coyness around the bathroom.  We all know why we are there.  I just don't get why people act so weird about it!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

FOSTER

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
When I first started working for Evil Oil Company, I was a very shy kid, who had been taught that it was rude to talk about anything bathroom or female-related.  So I would tell my lead when I went on break or if I was delivering work, but not when I "had difficulties" and NEEDED the restroom.  One day, I was "having difficulties" and the door bangs open and the lead shouts, "Barensmom, are you in here?  You need to tell me when you go ANYWHERE."  Everyone in that section of the floor heard her, as she was loud and holding the restroom door open.  I was so embarrassed that I ended up diapering myself rather thickly until the lead was forced into a transfer.

that's just ridiculous…. why would you even 'wear diapers' much less report it here?

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 01:59:50 PM »
When I first started working for Evil Oil Company, I was a very shy kid, who had been taught that it was rude to talk about anything bathroom or female-related.  So I would tell my lead when I went on break or if I was delivering work, but not when I "had difficulties" and NEEDED the restroom.  One day, I was "having difficulties" and the door bangs open and the lead shouts, "Barensmom, are you in here?  You need to tell me when you go ANYWHERE."  Everyone in that section of the floor heard her, as she was loud and holding the restroom door open.  I was so embarrassed that I ended up diapering myself rather thickly until the lead was forced into a transfer.

that's just ridiculous…. why would you even 'wear diapers' much less report it here?

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I was reading that right. You actually chose to wear diapers to work rather than just tell your boss when you were going to the bathroom?  ??? I get being sensitive about bathroom stuff - I am one who doesn't particularly like it when someone talks to me in the bathroom - but that seems a bit excessive.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 02:00:21 PM »

I have to agree.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
It sounds to me like BarensMom had her period and would need more frequent bathroom breaks.  So to avoid this lead hand making an issue of it, she would use the largest pad she could, perhaps in addition to a tampon, in order to reduce the possibility of this awful woman embarrassing her again.  That could definitely feel a bit like wearing a diaper.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Army Mom

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »
  Except for "I'm out of paper can you please pass me some?" or something along those lines THERE IS A CONE OF SILENCE.

Yep! I even apply this rule at home. It really irritates me when I'm in the bathroom for any reason and someone comes knocking for some dumb reason. I've told my kids (and recently had to tell DH!  ::)) unless there is an emergency, and I mean someone is bleeding, do not bother me in the bathroom! Whatever it is can wait a few minutes until I'm finished. Sheesh!

YES for the cone of silence!  When the kids were small, I had a rule that any questions asked while I was in the bathroom automatically were a NO!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
My cats won't leave me alone in the bathroom - if I close the door, they paw at it and meow.  If it is open, they come in and wind around my feet.  My neighbour had his niece over, with her young son.  She went to the bathroom inside, leaving son outside with her uncle and female friend.  But the bathroom window opened up into the yard and son went over to talk to her through the window.

We got a good chuckle together when she came back out and I said, 'Why do kids and pets think we can't go to the bathroom by ourselves?'  She replied that she hadn't been to the bathroom by herself for almost 6 years!
Ontario

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
My cats won't leave me alone in the bathroom - if I close the door, they paw at it and meow.  If it is open, they come in and wind around my feet.  My neighbour had his niece over, with her young son.  She went to the bathroom inside, leaving son outside with her uncle and female friend.  But the bathroom window opened up into the yard and son went over to talk to her through the window.

We got a good chuckle together when she came back out and I said, 'Why do kids and pets think we can't go to the bathroom by ourselves?'  She replied that she hadn't been to the bathroom by herself for almost 6 years!

My dog was afraid of the bathroom, which spoiled me--some time later I had a visiting dog and wasn't prepared for visiting-dog to come in during my shower like "Whatcha doing in there, hoomin?" and stick her little nose in and knock all my product bottles into the tub.

flickan

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »

The thing is, at home I'm actually fine with talking while I'm taking care of needs.  We also have cats that insist on sticking their paws under any door that bars their way and meowing at whoever is on the other side of it.  So I always use the bathroom with the door open unless we have guests.  That way they can play in the dry bathtub together.  But they are the only ones I feel comfortable talking to when I'm indisposed.  My spouse doesn't mind and my cats sure don't.  I do draw the line at letting the cats sit on my lap, which they still attempt sometimes. :o

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »
^That's how I get mine to go away.  Neither one of them like being picked up so if they are annoying the crap out of me (pun intended), I'll quick pick them up, force snuggle them and then put them down again.  They take off like they were shot out of a cannon.
Ontario

flickan

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
^That's how I get mine to go away.  Neither one of them like being picked up so if they are annoying the crap out of me (pun intended), I'll quick pick them up, force snuggle them and then put them down again.  They take off like they were shot out of a cannon.

This would only work with one of ours.  When we first got ours, we had no idea how affectionate our boy was.  They would sit on the edge of the bathtub if one of us was taking a bath and just stare which really freaked out my spouse.  He was afraid they would try to climb in the bath with him.  I laughed at him when he told me this and said it would never happen.  Well sure enough, I had a hot bath with suds going and I was lying on my back with just my head and shoulders and part of my chest out of the water and the cat called my bluff and climbed on top of me.  He didn't have much room that was dry to manuver on so he crammed all 13 lbs of himself into a ball under my chin.  He has a very normal cat reaction to water but you give him an inch of dry "land" to squeeze onto and he'll attempt to cuddle.

So that would be a no go for our cats  :P

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »
flickan, thanks for the great laugh at that mental image!
Ontario