Author Topic: what do YOU do with chicken breasts?  (Read 1884 times)

flickan

what do YOU do with chicken breasts?
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
I'm a mediocre cook and I don't have a great repetoire for chicken.  I'm looking for suggestions for what to do with a couple pounds of lovely fresh chicken breasts I've got in the fridge for tonight.  I usually do thighs in the oven or in stir fry because they're hard to overcook but I do have a meat thermometer.  I just don't want to ruin all this great chicken by cooking it dry and I don't have stir fry veggies.

The other thing is that the only baking dishes available to me right now are a shallow rimmed baking sheet and a round ceramic 2 qt casserole with a lid.

Here's what I have on hand to cook with:

lemon juice, a lime, szechuan sauce, parsley, fresh garlic, apples, a few tins of plain tomato sauce, a jar of basil tomato sauce, honey mustard, ranch dressing packets, olive oil, and vinegar.  I've got more available but that's all I can think of that goes with chicken.  More unusual suggestions are welcome!

I have well stocked spice cabinet too.  I do not have flour or eggs or cheese or lard on hand.

What can I do besides douse them in olive oil and garlic and bake them?

And if you had anything at hand what would you do with them?

cwm

Re: what do YOU do with chicken breasts?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
My sister has this amazing recipe for chicken breasts that involves butter, cream of something soup (she uses celery as she's allergic to mushroom, but it would probably work with anything), and seasonings. I'm not sure exactly what she does, but it's amazing.

You could always try this recipe, it's chicken and apples in honey mustard sauce and looks pretty good.

Chicken Recipe.

Actually, doing a google search, there's a lot of recipes out there with chicken and apples, apparently they go well together. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

AvidReader

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »
If you want to cook the chicken then freeze it for additions to other recipes later, like stir-fry, salads etc., you can rub some olive oil on top, then add a sprinkle of salt & pepper.  Put the chicken on your shallow rimmed baking sheet and into a 350 oven for 30-35 minutes.  After it is done and cool, remove the skin & bone, chop into pieces then freeze.   The olive oil and keeping it on the bone while roasting will keep the chicken moist.  I line my baking sheet with foil so clean up is easy.

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »
Do you have a bottle of beer on hand? If so, place the chicken in the baking dish, pour the beer over it, sprinkle with salt & pepper & any other seasonings you want (garlic powder or onion powder or whatever) and bake.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:17:13 PM by lowspark »

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
Are they boneless skineless breasts or are they bone-in?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »
Do you have to bake them? I'm not a big fan of baked chicken breasts.

I prefer methods that involve sauteeing. If the breasts are thick I will butterfly them or slice them trough the middle to create thinner pieces. Freezing them  a little makes this easier if your not used to it. Pound them out to a more uniform thickness.

Season with any seasonings you prefer. Heat a pan with a little olive oil to almost smoking. Put the breasts in and brown on each side. Then you can create a sauce by adding a little of your seschuan sauce, the tomatoe sauce, or some lemon and white wine. Put a lid on, reduce heat and cook the breasts till done, probably not more than 5 min or so if they are thin. Remove the breasts, increase the heat to reduce the sauce if you want and then add a splash of lemon juice to perk up the flavor before serving.

Kaypeep

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »
I resisted this for a long time because I didn't want to be like my mom, taking recipes off of soup cans instead of doing things from scratch, but I tried it and it was actually very simple and tasty.  Mix some Hellmans Mayo and grated parmegianno cheese.  Slather it on the breasts (cut in half to make thick cutlets) and topped with a sprinkle of panko breadcrumbs, and bake for about 25 minutes.  The chicken comes out with a nice parm "crust" and the chicken is super moist.  Very little mayo flavor, if any.

flickan

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »
they are boneless/skinless

I can do any stovetop or in stove cooking method

I have hard cider but no beer, I don't suppose that would have the desired effect...

all these suggestions look wonderful! :)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 02:20:51 PM »
My favourite:

- Sautée thinly sliced leeks, mushrooms, garlic and some cubes of bacon (I use Canadian bacon and trim off most of the fat)
- Brown the chicken breasts in the same pan (oven going!)
- spread the leek, mushroom, garlic and bacon mixture over the chicken and top with sliced cheese
- bake until done

Since you have cider:
- Dice carrots, celery and onion as fine as you can
- sweat in a little olive oil, until softish
- brown chicken breasts in the same pan, add the cider
- plop everything in the oven until done
- add some cream to the pan sauce
- if you like, bake some apples with the carrots, celery and onions as filling, along with a little cider

Chicken Picatta (my version)
- Season breasts, cover with a little flour and cook in olive oil and butter (this will also be the base for the sauce)
- Remove chicken, add some wine, plenty of capers, a little broth, some lemon juice, a few olives (if you like), salt, pepper, hot sauce (once again, my addition) and garlic
- Reduce and serve over chicken

amylouky

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 02:45:27 PM »
If you have a can of corn, a can of Rotel (or diced tomatoes and green chilies), cheddar cheese, and chili powder:

Mix 1 can corn (drained) with 1 can Rotel, and about 2 tbsp of chili powder (more or less to taste). Put a little bit in the bottom of a 9x12 baking dish, and lay the chicken breasts on top. Cover with the rest of the corn/tomatoes mixture and bake at 375 for about 45 mins, until chicken is done. Then smother in grated cheddar cheese and put back in oven for long enough to melt the cheese.
Serve with sour cream if you like, tortilla chips, whatever sounds good. I also add a can of black olives to mine, and occasionally some diced onion but not everyone likes that.

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
Ah! Boneless/Skinless.
Here's a quick easy recipe.
Season and brown the chicken on both sides in a skillet. Add the bottle of beer* and jar of salsa. I've also been known to throw in some frozen veggies (corn, broccoli, whatever... even frozen potatoes). Put a lid on it and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve with rice.

*hard cider would be fine, any alcohol really -- it adds a bit of flavor and also keeps the chicken moist.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
I have some chicken tortilla soup simmering in the crockpot right now.  I am hoping it will actually taste good tonight.

My ingredients

A couple slightly thawed chicken breasts
Small diced onion
One small diced jalapeno, seeded
Two cans black beans
Two cans diced tomatoes (we pulverize these in the blender, because my family gets weird about tomato pieces)
Two chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (I pulverize these with the tomatoes.)
One can corn, or equivalent amount of frozen corn
One envelope taco seasoning, or whatever seasonings you use for tacos
One tsp cumin
Two cans of water (use the black bean or tomato cans)

Stick everything in the crockpot.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours.  When it's ready, pull out the chicken and shred it before returning it to the crockpot.  Serve with your favorite toppings and crushed up tortilla chips.

Joeschmo

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 03:57:53 PM »
I cook chicken in the oven with either a packet of Italian and a packet of Ranch seasoning or one of the seasoning packets and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  All three ways I've thought turned out well and are super simple. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »
make a marinade with the lemon/lime (i use the juice and some zest), garlic, honey, olive oil, salt pepper (and something spicy - chili flakes, hot pepper, whatever the szechuan sauce is?). let them marinade for a few hours in the fridge. remove from the frifge about 30 minutes before you want to cook. then preheat the oven, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil. roast for 20 minutes of so until they are cooked. these freeze well.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
I usually bake mine simple so that I can use it in a whole lot of quick/easy different recipes.

Marinate the breasts in lemon, garlic, salt & pepper. Place the breasts in a single layer in a covered casserole dish with a splash or two of water (or chicken stock when I have it.) The liquid and the cover helps steam the chicken and keeps it moist. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness. Cut into the thickest section (after 20 minutes) to check for doneness.

Once done, I'll cube the breasts and store for future use.

Some of my favorite recipes for cubed pre-cooked chicken breast:

Basil chicken penne (amounts vary due to taste):

Garlic
Chopped red onion
Pre-cooked penne pasta
Pre-cooked cubed chicken breasts
Halved grape tomatoes (or chopped/sliced plum or whatever tomatoes you prefer)
Fresh spinach leaves (spinach wilts down quite a bit, so I use a lot)
Pesto sauce (I usually buy mine pre-made)
Mozzarella cheese

Heat a fry-pan on high and add a bit of olive oil. Toss in the garlic and red onion. Saute for a minute then add the pasta and chicken. Stir until pasta and chicken are heated. Add the tomatoes*, spinach and pesto sauce. Keep stirring until spinach is wilted to your taste. Add the mozzarella, give a quick toss and serve with garlic bread. Cook time: about 7 minutes.

*If you like your tomatoes more well done, add them with the pasta and chicken.

Wild Rice with Chicken:

Your favorite brand of wild rice
Chicken stock
Cubed pre-cooked chicken
Snow peas or pea pods (chopped to 1-inch bits)
Water chestnuts
Fresh chopped green onion

Prepare the wild rice according to directions on the bag/box. I use chicken stock instead of water. The rice takes about an hour to simmer, so about 15 minutes before it's done, add the chicken, snow peas and water chestnuts. Garnish with green onion and serve with crusty buttered bread and a garden salad.

For Chicken Quesadillas I like the chicken cubes to be smaller (like 1/2-inch cubes), so the spices are more prevalent. With the pre-cooked chicken, the spice won't soak all the way through larger cubes (does that make sense?)

For the Quesadillas I use the prepared package of fajita mix (because I don't have a lot of mexican spices handy ::)) and shake the chicken bits up in a baggie with the spices until they are well coated and let the chicken sit in the fridge for an hour or so before use.

Do the same for other specialty flavors (like szechuan stir fry.)

Then there's always the Chicken Caesar Salad or adding the chicken bits to your favorite salads.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:57:38 PM by jpcher »