Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

what do YOU do with chicken breasts?

<< < (7/7)

Chip2:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on November 14, 2013, 11:14:14 AM ---I don't cook a lot of chicken because it always ends up dry - you all have given me some good ideas.  I make a lot of meals ahead and freeze them so I've found the chicken didn't do so well but having more moisture from the get go will help, I think.

--- End quote ---

If you're cooking thick pieces invest in a digital probe thermometer and cook the chicken to an internal temp of 170 degrees F. Let it rest for a few minutes before pulling the probe and your chicken will always be juicy.

Missy2U:
A few months ago, we were lucky enough to purchase a bulk box of Chicken Breasts (individually frozen) for an obscenely cheap price and did a ton of different things with it.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to look up the actual recipes (they're packed away in my cookbook closet - yes I have a cookbook closet  - husband says ::)) but I can give you the basics and if it sounds like you'd like them, I can always type them out with actual measurements.

We did chicken shish kabobs - cut up the breasts into chunks, maybe 1 1/2 x 1 1/2, threaded them on skewers, with onion pieces, grape tomatoes, and green pepper pieces, then put them in a 9 x 13 pyrex dish and coated them with teriyaki sauce (the thin stuff - NOT the glaze) over night.  The next evening, he fired up the grill - as he grilled them, he brushed teriyaki GLAZE over them and we had them with rice.  They only were on the grill for a short time and were EXTREMELY juicy and tender!

Another one he really liked was his sister's Chicken Divan recipe - it's basically rice, a cream sauce (this involves soup, sour cream, wine and other stuff), chicken, brocolli, sharp cheddar cheese and mushrooms with a crunchy topping.  It was somewhat labor intensive though - so I don't do it often.

The other chicken recipe he really truly loves is the one you make with sour cream and cream of mushroom soup.  You get the Buddig sandwich beef, put it in a casserole dish in 8 even piles.  Then put a half of a chicken breast on each pile (we had big chicken breasts - too big so I cut them in half).  Then top each chicken breast with a slice of prosciutto (I didn't have bacon which is what you usually would use so I substituted it) and cover it.  I baked it for like 45 minutes or something then combined (MAYBE - don't hold me to this) 2 C Sour Cream and 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup and poured it over the whole thing, uncovered it, then baked it for 20 more minutes.  That went with rice too.  THAT one he loved - I also do it with chicken thighs - they are the absolutely perfect size.

One one other thing - to echo what Chip2 said, a digital probe thermometer is the BEST - I use mine all the time - and the easiest way to check a chicken breast (or a steak for that matter) for temp is to insert the thermometer horizontally into the side of the chicken breast at the thickest part.  America's Test Kitchen taught me that.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version