Author Topic: Reservation Made is a Reservation Paid  (Read 4953 times)

sskasick

Reservation Made is a Reservation Paid
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
I am on the board of a new chapter for administrative professionals and we are getting our flyer ready to be sent out to potential members. We've already had one meeting to find out if there is an interest and there was. The issue is that several people made reservations (which included dinner costing $25). When they didn't show up, we still had to pay for their dinners.

We wanted to add a line or two on the flyer that basically said "Reservation Made is a Reservation Paid", but in a nice way. My suggestion was to add a line that said "Reservations confirmed upon receipt of check"...but someone mentioned that we were going to welcome walk-ins.

Any suggestions?

lowspark

Re: Reservation Made is a Reservation Paid
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 11:19:08 AM »
Are you taking a credit card at the time of the reservation? I've seen something like this before:
Credit card will be charged at time reservation is made. Cancelations must be made by xx date for refund.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
Is there any way of requiring them to pay at least some when they make their reservations?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »
No matter what you put on the flyer, the only way it will be inforced is if you require them to pay up front. You can use an online system that requires them to pre-purchase their spot.

"To confirm your seat, please pre-purchase your ticket via xxx website. Pre-purchased tickets are $25. Or you can pay at the door based on availability for $35 per ticket."

Syfygeek

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
I'm a member in a similar type of chapter. I RSVP'd yes for dinner and a meeting, had a crisis at work and couldn't make it. The financial person emailed me to say she was sorry I missed the meeting, and did I want to pay the $ for dinner at the next meeting, or mail it to her.

I was a member, so I don't know how they handled non members who didn't show.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Amara

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 12:30:31 PM »
I ran an annual weekend event for a 12-Step program for several years. Even before the first time I knew that a reservation meant nothing without the payment in full. So that's what I required: payment with reservation. No refunds were available for any reason but you could get someone else to come in your place (and get their money yourself) if you wanted, and did the work. When someone else took it over, he didn't require the payment upfront and as a result people backed out, didn't show up, and didn't respond. The event fell apart.

Lesson: No reservations without money. No refunds.
Result: Smooth event.

(If you have space and are willing to do at-the-door reservations note that, but add additional money onto the fee.)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 12:31:47 PM »
Honestly if i saw "reservation made is a reservation paid" on something I would go huh? Just as for payment when they make the reservation and that walk ins are welcome as space allows.

Curious Cat

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
Are you taking a credit card at the time of the reservation? I've seen something like this before:
Credit card will be charged at time reservation is made. Cancelations must be made by xx date for refund.

I would go with "Credit card charged at time of reservation.  Walk ins welcome."

cwm

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »

I would go with "Credit card charged at time of reservation.  Walk ins welcome."

Or, if you don't want to require CCs, "Payment due upon reservation. Walk-ins welcome as space allows."

mimi_cat

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »
I belong to a large professional organization - we have a monthly lunch meeting, which requires us to provide a confirmed head count in advance to the venue.  And we are then charged for that head count, at a minimum.

We used to allow payment on site, however, that led to a large number of no-shows, and we still had to pay.  In people's defense, it is possible they don't realize this, but the only way to enforce it is to require advance payment. 

We started doing that, and while we still have some no-shows, we do have their money.  We also take walk-ins, space permitting.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »
Or, if you don't want to require CCs, "Payment due upon reservation. Walk-ins welcome as space allows."

This is simple and clear.  Would it be off-putting to say "non-refundable payment...." ???

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »
People are far more likely to keep the commitment if they have to pay in advance.  Make prepayment a condition of RSVP.  The only thing with saying walkins are welcome is you could have a lot of people decide to attend at the last minute and then not have enough seating or food for them. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »

This.  It's clean and clear.  Most professional organizations that I belong to require payment at the time of reservation.  It's not unusual.  The fact that you will take walk-ins if space is available is generous. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

YummyMummy66

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »

I think it is fine if you put on the flyer, "Reservations confirmed upon receipt of check" and put a different line of however you want to handle walk ins. 

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
"Reservation Made is a Reservation Paid" sounds backwards to me somehow, because the payment is required before the reservation can be confirmed. "Reservation paid is a reservation made" makes more sense to me.

I'm with PPs who skip the rhyme and go with "reservations confirmed with receipt of check".