Author Topic: Reservation Made is a Reservation Paid  (Read 4442 times)

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
Re: Reservation Made is a Reservation Paid
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
A group that I belong to says "The only reservation we accept is a Paid Reservation".

Aluminum

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »
Or, if you don't want to require CCs, "Payment due upon reservation. Walk-ins welcome as space allows."

I agree with this, except I might change the second line to "Walk-ins accommodated, space permitting."  It's kinda like, we'll, sure, if there's space we'll fit you, but it's not ideal--just make the reservation instead!  Or when I've planned events, that's been my take--I'd really rather you reserve, so downplay (a bit!) the walk-in option. 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »

Based on experience organizing group events, you might have problems with walk-ins when you start charging in advance. In other words, be prepared to be the bad guy when half the group decides not to reserve because they don't want to risk their deposit, and then shows up at the last minute.   ::)

I think I'd send around an email saying "Due to no-shows at  previous events, payment must be made at the time of reservation" and skip walk-ins until the pay in advance system is well established.

Tia2

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »
I actually read this as not having to pay if you made a reservation, i.e. providing you notified the organisation in advance, they'd cover the costs.

I'm sure no one who actually belonged to the organisation in question and knew how it worked would think that, but all it takes is a few people deciding to be difficult for there to be a lot of bad feeling.

I think it is almost always a bad idea to try to get some sort of rule across in a cutesy way - it will annoy some people and confuse others.

In this case, I think offering a discount for early payment is the way to go.  In other words, don't describe yourselves as taking reservations (which can be interpreted as requiring future payment), rather say $10 discount on $35 ticket (for example) if payment received by X date with some sort of note that there is limited space for walk ins.

Minmom3

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 01:16:32 AM »
Maybe you need to reword it to say "A reservation unpaid is a reservation unmade!', with price differentials for early payment, middle payment, and walk in on the day.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Amara

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 12:21:34 PM »
Or simply "Payment required at time of reservation."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »

I'm with PPs who skip the rhyme and go with "reservations confirmed with receipt of check".

I find myself frequently frustrated by the insistence on poetry in all places.
People want to tell their new son-in-law how glad they are he'll be part of their family, and they want a poem--whatever happened to prose?

And this sort of thing, which is essentially a business arrangement, is really not an appropriate place to try to be poetic.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
Or simply "Payment required at time of reservation."

Simple, easy.

I had a big thing to go to this weekend, and I really did not want to go (had fun once I went) but the motivating factor was that DH and I had paid, and by golly, I wanted the yummy dinner!
:)

If we had not paid, I most likely would have stayed home. 
It was a buffet, hundreds of people, and lots of leftover food at the several buffet tables when the staff began clear-away, so not the same situation, but you always want to err on the side of caution.

45 have paid, 60 were invited, what to do?  Not admit the ones that have not paid, and No Refunds. 

We had table number seating, and had to check-in upon arrival.  Some places (wine tastings) do colored wrist bands.  Or pre-printed nametags. Or party favors. 

"Oh, you came without a prepaid reservation? So glad you are here!  Now, please take a moment here to run your card for payment while I find/make/get/print a tag/number/brochure/wrist band/table assignment, etc..."

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »
Your reservation is confirmed with your payment of $ 25    No Refunds

Walk ins are welcome - space permitting $ 35

After a few meetings you will get a feel for no shows and walk ups and an idea of who is going to try to insist they mailed a check late, etc.

One of our groups paid out $20 for the meal and collected $25 so for every 4th no show we would break even and we were losing money!  Now we make them pay up front and the no shows are down to one or two per meeting (if that).  Now our group is profitable and we are able to throw a much nicer luncheon in December for the same cost.