Author Topic: Our treats aren't your buffet  (Read 6087 times)

kitchcat

• Flickr
Our treats aren't your buffet
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »
I work in a small department (10 people) at a larger office (100ish people). Our department (OD) is a far corner of the building and surrounded by a large buffer zone between us and other departments. Basically, the only time non-OD staff are in our area is if they make a specific trip here, and that is next to never.

Well OD decided to all bring homemade treats to share for halloween. Everyone brought something, and the amount was enough for OD plus a little extra for people to take home to share with our families.

I guess non-OD people saw us carry in our treats because less than an hour later, Pam from department Z shows up because "I heard you had goodies." She proceeds to fix herself a big plate without asking. She also mentions that someone in department A brought cake and she was going to get some of that too.    :o We would never consider helping ourselves to treats from other departments. A few other non-OD people came by and helped themselves as well after Pam shared news of our snacks, meaning we had no extras to share with our families like we planned.

We were pretty miffed that people came by and took a bunch off food uninvited, without contributing. Would this bother you or should we have anticipated treat-seekers from other departments?
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Our treats aren't your buffet
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »
Is there any reason why you couldn't have said something to her?

LazyDaisy

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:59:14 PM »
I agree with Harriet Jones. Say something, "Hi Pam. We're having a private department party. Only the people from our department who contributed are invited to partake." If you couldn't get to her as soon as she entered the area, then someone should have either hidden the food or restricted access to anyone else who came after. That said, I would be more miffed at someone taking home treats to their family than I would a random coworker coming up for one.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

cwm

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:05:42 PM »
We get that a lot at our office, but due to the open office plan, there is no buffer zone. There are a few people who are always mooching food off of other teams.

Mom and her team have found a simple way of stopping them. Before they can get to the plates, ask them what they brought to share.

Or if someone shows up because they heard you had goodies, stand physically between them and the goodies in question. "Yes, Pam, we brought food for our department. If you'd like to have a food day, please plan it with your own department, this food is only for the people who work here. Now is there anything else I can help you with?"

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
I don't thinking taking a big plate (larger than what others are taking) of anything is quite right. But I don't think I'd mind as much considering that it is Halloween. Somehow, going department to department and munching on goodies seems appropriate for today.

MrTango

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
I also agree with Harriet Jones.

A lot of people seem to be too afraid of making waves or upsetting others by enforcing boundaries.  Politely telling Pam that the food is not available to her is the way to go.

cwm

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
I don't thinking taking a big plate (larger than what others are taking) of anything is quite right. But I don't think I'd mind as much considering that it is Halloween. Somehow, going department to department and munching on goodies seems appropriate for today.

That doesn't make sense to me. This insulated department made enough for their department. They didn't bring it for everyone else to snack on it, regardless of what day it was. If they had set out a bowl of candy and sent out a companywide email that's one thing, but for people to show up in their department because they had seen them bringing in food just rubs me the wrong way.

I'm a strong believer that if you aren't participating in the food day (bringing food for everyone else) or specifically invited to partake of the food, you shouldn't touch it. It doesn't matter what day it is, if you haven't been told that it's for you, then it's not for you.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »

Going from department to department getting food only works if there is a coordinated effort amongst the departments to all provide food on the same day.

In the OP, one department brought food for just the department. People from other departments took some of their food and didn't offer anything in return.

One department planned a holiday celebration. Outsiders decided to join them without invitation.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 03:05:24 PM »

Going from department to department getting food only works if there is a coordinated effort amongst the departments to all provide food on the same day.

In the OP, one department brought food for just the department. People from other departments took some of their food and didn't offer anything in return.

One department planned a holiday celebration. Outsiders decided to join them without invitation.

I should clarify that this wouldn't bother me as a host, not that others shouldn't be bothered. It's the halloween thing. I guess I should say my tolerance would be higher for this behavior because of the date.  I spend a reasonable sum on Halloween Candy every year to give out to kids. So giving treats to co-workers seems similar.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »
I understand what you are saying -- Halloween is a holiday where people go house to house to collect treats without offering anything back in return (except, I guess, the entertainment of a costume), but if there are plates involved that means this was more food-like than a bunch of fun-sized candy bars in a bowl. If it were just a bowl of candy left out in the open, I guess I could see Pam and the others thinking that it's fine to take one.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »
I am more astonished by the silence than the greed. Why on earth did your department members allow this? Why didn't someone -- the team leader if the rest are so shy -- speak up and send
Pam about her business?  Being polite really should not equate with behavior indistinguishable from that of a doormat ( to adapt a quotation from Rebecca West).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:30:12 PM by starry diadem »
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

YummyMummy66

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 06:47:57 AM »
I agree with others, why didn't you just say to Pam, "Oh, Pam, I am sorry, but those treats are only for those that contributed".  Or only for our department. 

Can you put these treats in a n area where only your department can get to them?  Maybe in someone's office? 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
POD.  Someone (anyone) could have said "Sorry, Pam, the food that's here is for an interdepartmental meeting."

Runningstar

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »
I used to work in an office where everyone would stop by my department and just help themselves to whatever we "girls" had brought in.  This even included the lunches on our desks if we forgot to hide them.  We did say something and were told that it was not "nice" to not share.  So we stopped bringing in anything including birthday cakes for each other.  I'm wondering if you could next time keep the food under wraps until you collectively serve yourselves and then put the rest away and out of sight?
Not knowing the culture of your place of employment I'm just not sure what you could have said or done - but something like "Oh Sally, sorry but this is just for this department - thanks for understanding."    :-\

veronaz

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
POD.  Someone (anyone) could have said "Sorry, Pam, the food that's here is for an interdepartmental meeting."

This.