Author Topic: Ridiculous wedding magazine ideas  (Read 9227 times)

Last_Dance

Ridiculous wedding magazine ideas
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:46:42 AM »
Since DF and I are organizing our wedding, I've been reading a few wedding magazines  and they are a lot worse than I expected.

The most ridiculous idea I've found (so ridiculous, in fact, that it has become my go-to example) is to have the bride arrive on a helicopter.
That sounds extremely expensive and, let's face, it's not really suited to all locations - chances are, if a bride wanted to make her entrance like that, she'd have to arrange her whole wedding around the entrance.

The second worst idea was about city weddings - specifically, if you're getting married in a city you ought to have your reception at the top of a skyscraper.
Problem: we're in Italy. Renting a castle, a villa or a restaurant with a stunning view is a lot easier than finding a skyscraper. My city in particular only has 3 (and I'm sure New Yorkers would laugh if they saw them): 2 are closed to the public and the 3rd is under construction.
Apparently, the writer thought that "city wedding" implied "sleek, ultra-modern atmosphere" - again, we are in Italy. Our cities are old.

Any others?

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

o_gal

Re: Ridiculous wedding magazine ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:21:19 AM »
The most ridiculous idea I've found (so ridiculous, in fact, that it has become my go-to example) is to have the bride arrive on a helicopter.
That sounds extremely expensive and, let's face, it's not really suited to all locations - chances are, if a bride wanted to make her entrance like that, she'd have to arrange her whole wedding around the entrance.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bride+killed+in+helicopter+crash.-a060427705

Last_Dance

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »

Weirdly enough, that's exactly the kind of bride I wasn't talking about: at least helicopters were connected to her family, somehow.

I think it's a stupid to suggest a helicopter/horse-drawn carriage/yacht "because it looks cool and you're going to look like a movie star/princess", when neither the bride nor the groom have any interest in flying/horses/carriages/sailing.
It's your (II person plural) day, make it truly yours.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

LadyL

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:03:41 AM »
I was reading a day of the wedding supplies checklist that included: toothbrush and toothpaste, floss, breath spray, breath mints, and something called "tooth wipes." I don't know if the writer was just dental hygiene obsessed or what.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »

I wonder a bride considering this entrance has ever been on a helicopter or near one taking off or landing: it is noisy and windy. The guests are going to get dust blown over them, their hair mussed and their ears assaulted. I imagine that this is for an outdoor ceremony (so people actually see the bride's helicopter entrance) so the ceremony site will also get blown around.

Not what I would consider romantic.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:00:08 AM »
I remember reading an article where the writer went to a class on planning your wedding.  It was in NYC and included a section presented by Vera Wang.  Someone asked what dress to wear if the ceremony and reception were very different in formality.  The response was two wedding dresses.  The group did not bat their eyes and thought it was a great idea.  Now if someone wants to wear two wedding dresses, fine.  Note, they weren't talking about say changing into an evening gown or a dress dress.  Or about falling in love with two dresses, being unable to decide and being able to easily afford them.  They were talking about two wedding wedding dresses, for one wedding as a normal suggestion to deal with a formality difference. 

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
The bride arriving in a helicopter reminds me of It Happened One Night where the groom arrives in an autogyro. Of course it takes place in 1934 so it's a great novelty but even then the sensible people realize how ridiculous it is.

http://pics.imcdb.org/0is253/sucediounanoche32az1.2100.jpg

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
I remember reading an article where the writer went to a class on planning your wedding.  It was in NYC and included a section presented by Vera Wang.  Someone asked what dress to wear if the ceremony and reception were very different in formality.  The response was two wedding dresses.  The group did not bat their eyes and thought it was a great idea.  Now if someone wants to wear two wedding dresses, fine.  Note, they weren't talking about say changing into an evening gown or a dress dress.  Or about falling in love with two dresses, being unable to decide and being able to easily afford them.  They were talking about two wedding wedding dresses, for one wedding as a normal suggestion to deal with a formality difference. 

That article was what made me lose any respect for Vera Wang.  To this day, I refuse to buy anything with her name attached.

The helicopter idea reminds me of The Cosby Show when Theo and friends got one for prom.  They all came back home mussed up and the girls ended up with crazy hair.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
About the skyscraper rooftop wedding:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31217544@N07/6662011317/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31217544@N07/6661999431/

Has the author of that piece even looked at most skyscraper roofs? Just look at all that mechanical equipment! Now, a skyscraper geek like myself might like having a wedding up there, but to most people all that machinery would be a huge turn-off. What's some bridezilla gonna do? Insist property management wrap it all up in tulle or something? And what happens when those cooling towers start up? I've seen the clouds of water vapor that vent out of those things, not something most bridezillas would appreciate.

gollymolly2

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:51 AM »

Has the author of that piece even looked at most skyscraper roofs? Just look at all that mechanical equipment! Now, a skyscraper geek like myself might like having a wedding up there, but to most people all that machinery would be a huge turn-off. What's some bridezilla gonna do? Insist property management wrap it all up in tulle or something? And what happens when those cooling towers start up? I've seen the clouds of water vapor that vent out of those things, not something most bridezillas would appreciate.

I'm sure the writer was talking about the top floor, not the roof.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »
Although, I admit I am not Vera Wang's target market >:D
Even if I had the money I don't think she wants my size wearing her clothes. 

Just in general, though, I think it is sad when people feel that they need something like a helicopter to make their wedding special.  I mean, Hello?  It is your wedding

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »

That might be an even dumber idea- a lot of skyscrapers have tenants up there. Highly unlikely the offices of some law firm or the like are going to want a bunch of wedding guests traipsing around their floorspace. I do have to admit, the mental image of some twit stomping around the roof, demanding that all the mechanical business be wrapped in tulle is pretty funny!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
My mom got my dad a helicopter flying lesson for his birthday. I went with them to the event. Obviously afterwards the person gave a list of his services in case we ever wanted them. It costs $800 to rent a helicopter for an hour. That doesn't include landing fees or anything else that might be needed depending on where you land/take off from.

gollymolly2

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »

That might be an even dumber idea- a lot of skyscrapers have tenants up there. Highly unlikely the offices of some law firm or the like are going to want a bunch of wedding guests traipsing around their floorspace. I do have to admit, the mental image of some twit stomping around the roof, demanding that all the mechanical business be wrapped in tulle is pretty funny!

I can't tell if you're joking...

Of course the magazine is not recommending that you hold a wedding in an occupied office space. Many tall buildings have event centers/ballrooms on or near their top floor that are great venues for weddings.  The writer was, I'm sure, recommending using one of those spaces, not standing on top of a skyscraper or commandeering a bank's offices (???)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 11:52:02 AM »
We had our senior prom in one of the ballrooms at one of tallest buildings in downtown. The view was cool, but the set up was bad and crowded. In theory I'd love a wedding reception up there (I like the pretty views) but it wasn't great for dancing.

I only have looked at one bridal magazine (Brides magazine), so far I haven't seen anything too crazy, but mostly I just look at the pretty pictures.