Author Topic: Ridiculous wedding magazine ideas  (Read 12921 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Ridiculous wedding magazine ideas
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
I remember a suggestion somewhere that you should skip having chairs. So that the guests are forced to mingle. Yipee, who doesn't want to precariously carry a drink and plate around in high heels for a couple hours  ::)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
I remember a suggestion somewhere that you should skip having chairs. So that the guests are forced to mingle. Yipee, who doesn't want to precariously carry a drink and plate around in high heels for a couple hours  ::)

I remember seeing that a lot when I was getting married. Order like 60% as many chairs as you need, and also get a lot of higher tables so guests have to stand and chat. Um, pass.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

katycoo

« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »
Not getting a strapless dress was difficult. Some bridal shops won't even have anything for you. Also, I think wedding dresses are over prices for how much you wear them. People pay over $1000 for it, my better outfit including veil aw below that.

And wouldn't it be harder to dance in flip flops (we call them thongs) than nice shoes? If you want guests to be comfy, let them go barefoot.

Some people are grossed out by that and don't want to see it (because "Ew, feet are touching the floor; I don't know where their feet have been). I personally don't care either way, but some people think feet are gross.

Sigh.  The people who are grossed out by the feet are wearing shoes of their own to protect them from the feet germs.  It's not like they have to lick the floor afterwards.

Also, strapless dresses seem to be on the way out - there are a LOT more dresses with straps and sleeves these days than 2 years ago!

katycoo

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2013, 08:18:49 PM »
The second worst idea was about city weddings - specifically, if you're getting married in a city you ought to have your reception at the top of a skyscraper.
Problem: we're in Italy. Renting a castle, a villa or a restaurant with a stunning view is a lot easier than finding a skyscraper. My city in particular only has 3 (and I'm sure New Yorkers would laugh if they saw them): 2 are closed to the public and the 3rd is under construction.
Apparently, the writer thought that "city wedding" implied "sleek, ultra-modern atmosphere" - again, we are in Italy. Our cities are old.

Were you reading an Italian magazine?  Because if you weren't, I can see how a skyscraper suggestion is more universal than a castle suggestion.  I don't think there's a single castle in my whole country.

Even in Oz, there is the occasional castle...

http://www.answersfrom.com/castles-in-australia/

:)

Clearly I stand corrected.  That said, the nearest one to me is a 6.5 hour drive.  Too far for my wedding, if I had had a castle in mind :)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
Speaking of shoes/going barefoot, I was recently in a wedding that was on a beach. The bride scouted it beforehand and advised us that it was rather rough, and that shoes should probably be worn. With this in mind, I chose comfortable shoes suitable to the location, and made sure my dress was hemmed for these shoes. They had a couple-inch platform, which was great because I'm rather short.

Unfortunately, the MOH had the idea that we should all dance barefoot down the aisle--and didn't tell us until the rehearsal. Some people had never heard the song before--including the groom--and she had it timed fairly accurately, so if you screwed up then it screwed everyone up. Everyone kind of hemmed and hawed about it, but she insisted that it'd be awesome. I had to hold my hem up the whole time, and we all ended up with filthy and cut-up feet. Idea=sounds good on paper, execution=not so much.  ::)

Lovely wedding otherwise though.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2013, 08:35:25 PM »
I know we've all heard the suggestion about "don't FB the wedding pictures right off the bat." One article said that in addition to that rule, you should not FB even a picture of you "all by yourself in your cute new dress." Also that the bride and groom have to approve each and every wedding picture you'll put up later, because it's unfair if someone sees a bad angle photo of the couple's ceremony; the couple only wants flattering angle photos from their ceremony to be seen.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »
Ridiculous no matter what: the magazine which suggested that, for that special informal touch in the photos, the bride should climb a tree. It was illustrated with models in $4000 dresses perched precariously half way up giant gum trees, clearly clinging on for all they were worth.

Bad idea... BAD idea!  DH's SIL did something similar in her wedding photo - the photograph had her hug a tree in her wedding gown.  She ended up getting sap all over it - I'm sure that looked lovely in photos after that!  I can't see this tree-climbing scenario ending much better than that!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »
Actually, the best wedding planning book I found was one intended for African-American couples.  (Okay, second-best - Miss Jeanne's book was the best!)  It was interesting reading about jumping the broom and some African traditions, even though neither DH nor I are African-American, but the rest of the book was just downright good advice - and came with checklists.  I'm a fan of checklists  ;D

GSNW

« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2013, 03:02:42 AM »
On memorials:  I completely agree that they should be unobtrusive, if present.  We had a wishing tree at our wedding (not for money, it's a Dutch version of a guest book).  Next to the tree we had a framed bridal portrait of my grandma, who was big on her traditions.

My best friend and I got married within 3 weeks of each other and were each other's MOH.  Her mom had a super snotty friend at the (I thought nice) bridal shower we threw her... friend snidely informed me that HER DIL-to-be's MOH had taken all the girls in the wedding (including moms) on a Mexican spa vacation.  While that sounds awesome and there is nothing wrong with it, the delivery clearly implied that our shower was totally lame by comparison.

In addition to Spa Lady, my friend's new SIL had very specific ideas about how to memorialize her mother, who died from a long illness about 5 months prior.  SIL wanted a large portrait on an easel placed up front, like, next to the pastor.  And her photo on all the programs.  And an empty table seat reserved for her at the reception. 

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2013, 03:19:44 AM »
I've worked at a lot of receptions/dances/balls/conferences.

Going barefoot is only OK if you can be absolutely sure that there is nothing sharp or otherwise harmful people could step on. That includes making absolutely certain that no-one takes glass into areas where people are likely to be barefoot or wearing hose. I still remember the time someone broke a glass on a dancefloor and I had to warn everyone that it had happened- no matter how thorough you are there is always a risk a small shard might still be there.

It looks lovely on the photoshoot for the magazine, but in reality you have plan that quite carefully.
NE England

CakeEater

« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2013, 07:15:27 AM »

Really depends on the couple in question: the National Trust ad in Melbourne Bride magazine, about 15 years ago. It described all their beautiful properties where one could hold a wedding and ended with "Old Melbourne Gaol: thick forbidding bluestone walls, solitary cells, original whipping triangle." (Quoted directly from ad, as I cut it out and have kept it for its sheer amazement value.)

I visted the Old Melbourne Gaol earlier this year and looked at their wedding venue brouchure. They had the chairs with lovely white bows on the back and big flower arrangements set up all in the bottom floor of the gaol. Surrounded by the solitary confinement cells where all the prisoners were held. And where the celebrant would stand was the very spot Ned Kelly was hanged, with his death mask in a cabinet right there. Romantic!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »
Ridiculous no matter what: the magazine which suggested that, for that special informal touch in the photos, the bride should climb a tree. It was illustrated with models in $4000 dresses perched precariously half way up giant gum trees, clearly clinging on for all they were worth.

Bad idea... BAD idea!  DH's SIL did something similar in her wedding photo - the photograph had her hug a tree in her wedding gown.  She ended up getting sap all over it - I'm sure that looked lovely in photos after that!  I can't see this tree-climbing scenario ending much better than that!

Our photographer wanted me to lean up against one of the old brick buildings nearby that was very picturesque, with ivy growing up it and such.  Part of my wedding dress consisted of a lace overdress, with said lace costing $60 per yard!  The photographer was very unhappy that I wouldn't press myself all over the rough, prickly brick, and I was very unhappy that she wanted me to ruin my dress!  The pictures of me hovering near the brick are not great, as my smile is a little...forced, shall we say.

Last_Dance

« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »
The second worst idea was about city weddings - specifically, if you're getting married in a city you ought to have your reception at the top of a skyscraper.
Problem: we're in Italy. Renting a castle, a villa or a restaurant with a stunning view is a lot easier than finding a skyscraper. My city in particular only has 3 (and I'm sure New Yorkers would laugh if they saw them): 2 are closed to the public and the 3rd is under construction.
Apparently, the writer thought that "city wedding" implied "sleek, ultra-modern atmosphere" - again, we are in Italy. Our cities are old.

Were you reading an Italian magazine?  Because if you weren't, I can see how a skyscraper suggestion is more universal than a castle suggestion.  I don't think there's a single castle in my whole country.

Yes, I was, that's why I complained - I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.
This advice really doesn't make sense for an Italian bride - even the helicopter. Especially if they suggest she arrives to the ceremony (i.e. either church or the city hall) in one: that's a disaster waiting to happen. 

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2013, 01:15:24 PM »
I have to add - now that I have read through the whole thread - just because it's not something that you yourself, or anyone in your circle, would choose to do, doesn't actually make any of their choices, be they $100 favours, getting married in/on/through a skyscraper; ridiculous.  Different sure, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I agree. There's nothing ridiculous about the suggestions just because they are out of the ordinary, or out of the average person's price range, or just not to your taste.  I don't think bridal magazines, or any magazine really, are meant to be guides. They are meant to offer inspiration. I love to read fashion magazines even though I'll never be able to afford $1200 shoes, or a $600 blouse. I shop at much less expensive stores and use the pictures and articles to inspire me.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2013, 01:35:33 PM »
I know we've all heard the suggestion about "don't FB the wedding pictures right off the bat." One article said that in addition to that rule, you should not FB even a picture of you "all by yourself in your cute new dress." Also that the bride and groom have to approve each and every wedding picture you'll put up later, because it's unfair if someone sees a bad angle photo of the couple's ceremony; the couple only wants flattering angle photos from their ceremony to be seen.

I've heard this rule. This rule sucks. I'm abolishing this rule for my wedding. Yes, I might look funny in some of my wedding photos. Sometimes I look funny in pictures. My wedding is not about me hiding who I am, it's me marrying the person who accepts me and loves me for my realest self...even when I look funny in photos.

Also I do want to see the dress you plan to wear to my wedding before hand. Cause I wanna see how cute my friends look in new outfits. Not to approve it. I just wanna see you looking adorable is all.