Author Topic: How sensible is it to practice for Thanksgiving?  (Read 12273 times)

pinkflamingo

Re: How sensible is it to practice for Thanksgiving?
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »

One of the cousins is bringing the stuffing, since that keeps all the breadcrumbs out of my mostly-gluten-free kitchen (I could make stuffing w/ gluten-free bread, but I think people will enjoy the real kind better, plus it lets her contribute).

I'm quite late to the party, but I feel duty-bound to mention that gluten-free stuffing is SO GOOD. Everything that makes gluten-free bread kind of disappointing as actual bread makes it perfect for stuffing. It dries out easily and quickly, which means that it's even better at soaking up all the flavors you add to it and it gets crispy around the edges if you bake it in a dish instead of in the bird. Unless there's a traditional family recipe requiring special bread, I bet no one would even notice the difference.

Also, Bob's Red Mill gluten-free cornbread mix is even better than their regular. I don't have any gluten issues, but I frequently cook for those who do.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: How sensible is it to practice for Thanksgiving?
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »

One of the cousins is bringing the stuffing, since that keeps all the breadcrumbs out of my mostly-gluten-free kitchen (I could make stuffing w/ gluten-free bread, but I think people will enjoy the real kind better, plus it lets her contribute).

I'm quite late to the party, but I feel duty-bound to mention that gluten-free stuffing is SO GOOD. Everything that makes gluten-free bread kind of disappointing as actual bread makes it perfect for stuffing. It dries out easily and quickly, which means that it's even better at soaking up all the flavors you add to it and it gets crispy around the edges if you bake it in a dish instead of in the bird. Unless there's a traditional family recipe requiring special bread, I bet no one would even notice the difference.

Also, Bob's Red Mill gluten-free cornbread mix is even better than their regular. I don't have any gluten issues, but I frequently cook for those who do.

Ooh, that is interesting to know! I'm not generally a stuffing fan, actually, because it's so gluey (hey, "glu-ey"! I never realized that before, but it's where the term comes from, etymologically--I just looked it up!)

An that's good to know about the cornbread mix. I can get Bob's Red Mill very easily.