General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

She wants to apply for a really "icky" job

(1/7) > >>

veronaz:
Someone I know (not really a friend, more of an acquaintance) told me she’s been looking for a part-time job to make some extra money.  She said she’s been looking into a work from home job as a “phone actress/entertainer” :o because she heard it’s really good money.

For those who don’t know what that is, wellllllll, you know those late night TV ads that say sexy girls are waiting to talk to you…...call (number)?  (The woman in the commercials are not the ones men actually talk to).

I don’t personally know anyone who has done this, and while I don’t consider myself a prude, imo this is disgusting and could even be dangerous.  Admittedly I don't know specific "requirements" or the details of how the process works, but, c'mon.  ::)

We all know people do all kinds of things to put food on the table, but that’s not the case here.  She has a decent fulltime job, but wants (needs) more income.

At first I chuckled, then I realized she was serious.  I kind of made a face and said “I’d wonder about the legitimacy and safety of doing something like that.  Why don’t you try cleaning houses or even fast food?”  Her look told me she didn’t appreciate my remark.

I just couldn’t be encouraging.  <shudder> But thinking back I probably sounded judgmental.  Did I say too much?  Would it have been better to shrug and say "well, good luck with that"?

gollymolly2:
Yes.

onikenbai:
As a second job, cleaning houses and fast food for minimum wage is a tough gig and exhausting.  Phone girl is not glamourous, but it's not back breaking and she doesn't have to leave the house.  You may not like it, but it's her choice and you don't have to be there for it.  As for safety, hopefully the hotline number would route to her house and her actual number would not be displayed, and hopefully she wouldn't be dumb enough to tell anybody where she actually lived, so it probably wouldn't be a problem.

You probably should have done the "good luck with that" route but it's a bit late now.  Now all you can do is refrain from further comment.

betty:
I'd worry if she had young kids around who might overhear her phone-acting. Other than that? Not a problem.

As long as she is paying taxes on her earnings, working as a "phone actress/entertainer" is legitimate. She'll be on the phone so her customers won't know who she really is or where she lives. The calls will be routed to her from the company she works for, so her own phone number won't be out there.

veronaz:
Yeah, I could have handled it better.  What she told me caught me off-guard (not a good excuse, I know).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version