Author Topic: She wants to apply for a really "icky" job  (Read 3931 times)

veronaz

She wants to apply for a really "icky" job
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
Someone I know (not really a friend, more of an acquaintance) told me she’s been looking for a part-time job to make some extra money.  She said she’s been looking into a work from home job as a “phone actress/entertainer” :o because she heard it’s really good money.

For those who don’t know what that is, wellllllll, you know those late night TV ads that say sexy girls are waiting to talk to you…...call (number)?  (The woman in the commercials are not the ones men actually talk to).

I don’t personally know anyone who has done this, and while I don’t consider myself a prude, imo this is disgusting and could even be dangerous.  Admittedly I don't know specific "requirements" or the details of how the process works, but, c'mon.  ::)

We all know people do all kinds of things to put food on the table, but that’s not the case here.  She has a decent fulltime job, but wants (needs) more income.

At first I chuckled, then I realized she was serious.  I kind of made a face and said “I’d wonder about the legitimacy and safety of doing something like that.  Why don’t you try cleaning houses or even fast food?”  Her look told me she didn’t appreciate my remark.

I just couldn’t be encouraging.  <shudder> But thinking back I probably sounded judgmental.  Did I say too much?  Would it have been better to shrug and say "well, good luck with that"?

gollymolly2

Re: She wants to apply for a really "icky" job
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »
Yes.

onikenbai

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:04:22 PM »
As a second job, cleaning houses and fast food for minimum wage is a tough gig and exhausting.  Phone girl is not glamourous, but it's not back breaking and she doesn't have to leave the house.  You may not like it, but it's her choice and you don't have to be there for it.  As for safety, hopefully the hotline number would route to her house and her actual number would not be displayed, and hopefully she wouldn't be dumb enough to tell anybody where she actually lived, so it probably wouldn't be a problem.

You probably should have done the "good luck with that" route but it's a bit late now.  Now all you can do is refrain from further comment.

betty

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »
I'd worry if she had young kids around who might overhear her phone-acting. Other than that? Not a problem.

As long as she is paying taxes on her earnings, working as a "phone actress/entertainer" is legitimate. She'll be on the phone so her customers won't know who she really is or where she lives. The calls will be routed to her from the company she works for, so her own phone number won't be out there.

veronaz

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »
Yeah, I could have handled it better.  What she told me caught me off-guard (not a good excuse, I know).

Hillia

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:13:59 PM »
Actually i did this job, years ago before the internet and gobs of free pron.  In my situation, we worked from a house that the company owned; everyone doing calls had a separate room they went in to to do their calls.  Customers called the 800 number and talked to a billing person, who took their credit card info and phone number.  We placed calls from company owned phone lines.  They couldn't do *69 or any of the other callback options of the time.  The phone lines were also set up so we couldn't get calls from the city we were in.

it was a lot more boring and sad than icky, and a surprising number of men called because they were lonely and had no one to talk to.

ETA. It also paid 2-3 dollars an hour more than minimum wage at the time, was not physically demanding, and since it ran 24/7, I could vet all the hours I wanted without interfering with my 'real' job.  And we never worried about being held up, like fast food workers, or having a customer flip out on us.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:33:22 PM by Hillia »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cross_patch

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:56:11 AM »
Yep, that was pretty full on judgemental. What's it to you if she does that? I agree with hillia and onikenbai, it actually seems like it meets her current needs pretty well- more money than min wage, from the safety and privacy of your own home. I'm not really sure how it would be dangerous.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 01:40:43 AM »
Don't feel bad - yes it was judgmental but it was a snap reaction and you probably aren't the only person in her life to react that way. and if it helps - I probably would have reacted similarly.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

nuit93

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 02:41:16 AM »
I've known people who did that, and did quite well with it.  Compared to how exhausting most retail/fast food jobs can be (not to mention dangerous), phone work isn't a bad job at all.  I do find it rather judgmental to call it "icky"-- you might not want to do that for work but many people make their living in the scrabble industry.

Goosey

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
I would think cleaning houses was more dangerous than talking on the phone with someone.

Since you put "icky" in the title, you know you are judgmental and uncomfortable with this type of job. Are you looking for how to apologize? How to change the subject? Maybe practice so you don't have an uncontrollable action to something you have negative opinions about?

Rohanna

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 08:50:03 AM »
I used to clean hotel rooms. Trust me, it's a whole lot more "icky" and dangerous, depending on where you work. I was alone on shift, and some men certainly had ideas about how I might be interested in "supplimenting" my income, if you know what I mean. Found used needles a few times, used scrabble aparatus. This was at a "nice" business hotel to boot. I came home dirty and exhausted after a shift- it's a back-breaking way to earn a living.

Not to mention that those kind of low-level service jobs often demand that you have open-availability and won't work very well combined with other employment.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

jmarvellous

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 08:55:57 AM »
You owe your friend an apology, and not a qualified one, a straight up, "I shouldn't have said that. I'm sorry. I respect your right to make your own choices, which are none of my business."

I hope your friendship can grow from there, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

veronaz

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
You owe friend an apology, and not a qualified one, a straight up, "I shouldn't have said that. I'm sorry. I respect your right to make your own choices, which are none of my business."

I hope your friendship can grow from there, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

???

In my first post I said the person was an acquaintance.  This is someone I run into maybe once a year, if that.  There is no hope for growth (on either of our parts).  However, if we crossed paths again I wouldn't run to the other side of the street - I would be courteous/civil and wouldn't bring the subject up.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:05:45 AM by veronaz »

jmarvellous

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 10:09:37 AM »
My mistake. I think your obligation to apologize (and not to offer your opinion that the person is "icky") is even greater when it's someone you barely know, so my opinion still stands.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »
My mistake. I think your obligation to apologize (and not to offer your opinion that the person is "icky") is even greater when it's someone you barely know, so my opinion still stands.

Maybe I missed it, but veronaz didn't tell her that she is icky.