Author Topic: Ever spent Christmas or other major holiday on your own?  (Read 2964 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Ever spent Christmas or other major holiday on your own?
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
I spend most holidays with my Dad, my brother and his family.  Now that my SIL is out of the picture, holidays are quite pleasant.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are usually at my brother's, mainly because my nephews are in university and also working part time jobs so it is difficult for them to get a way for a weekend.  Easter is normally at my Dad's because he has a hobby sugarbush and we are usually busy at that time of year.  Sometimes it is just he and I, sometimes my brother joins us, with or without the boys.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do when my Dad passes.  He'll be 80 next year and is still in good health so it is likely to be a while.  My nephews are liable to have their own families by then so I might end up alone by default unless I can tag along with my brother.  Heck, he might have a new SO of his own by then, too.  Or I, by some miracle, might, too.

I'm the cook, though, so I might get invited for that reason.  I can get the turkey, potatoes, rutabaga, all the other veggies, gravy, cranberry, pickles, you name it, all on the table at the same time, piping hot and ready to go.  I think I inherited the talent from my mother.   :)  My brother is allergic to turkey and fish, to touch it, not eat it, so it is tough for him to help me wrestle the bird.  My Dad and I do it.  I might have to train up my nephews to help out.

I spend New Years Eve and New Years Day alone most years.  I usually watch DVDs of some sort.  Last year, I watched the whole Harry Potter series.  Another year, it was Lord of the Rings.  This year might be Game of Thrones or True Blood, if I can find them for a reasonable price.  I'll buy some appetizery type things for dinner and a bottle of cheapish champagne.  I might have a glass or two at midnight and then have the rest in mimosas the next morning.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »
I've been out...twice for New Year's Eve. Once when I was still underage and me and my friends snuck into a local dive bar that never bothered to card. They had noise makers and passed out the cheapest champange they could find...and red plastic cups. It was actually fantastic, because there was no hype there, it was just the regulars out having a drink. I remember someone decided to order chinese food for the whole bar. Unfortuenlty they got busted for letting in minors and shut down. Dang.

The next time I was over 21 and my friends and I thought going out to favorite gay bar was a good plan. There was a big cover charge, it was crazy crowded, drink prices were doubled, and someone threw up on my shoes. And it wasn't me. I realized there was a time in my life I wouldn't have cared if that happened, but that time was all done and over with and I really liked those shoes!

Now I stay home. We might have some people over, but usually it's just us. We only watch the ball drop just before the ball drops (cause I do like that part), we rent movies, eat junk food, and ring in the new year together. The year I turned 21 I was supposed to go out and party it up, but was getting over a cold so opted to stay home, watched some movies, ate my food and slept on the couch. Still one of my favorite new year's.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »
For Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, we have a few traditions.

All our favorite hors d'oeuvres, sparkling wine and cider, and a special dessert.

Christmas Eve, we attend a candlelight and carols service at our church, then go on a Christmas light sightseeing drive, then home for goodies and DS opens a package.

New Year's Eve, we stay home all day, watch movies (usually a LOTR & Hobbit marathon), play board games and eat different goodies. We are usually asleep when the ball drops at midnight.

half_dollars

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
Yes and no.

I have spent NYE, New Year's Day, and Easter alone.  I never really minded.

When my younger sister studied in London for a year in college, my parents told me they were going to visit her for Christmas but wouldn't be paying for me (I was still in college, too), but I could go if I could pay for it.  My grandparents, who always host Christmas Eve, didn't want me to come because it "would be too uncomfortable having me there and not the rest of the family".  So, I had planned on being alone.  My dad's mom ended up paying for my flight and hotel because she thought what my parents were doing was horrible (and I agree, it was!).

Now, all holidays are celebrated with DH and my 3 DC.  My parents and sister are cut-off.  My grandparents won't invite us because my not dealing with my toxic parents/sister is too much stress for them (we wouldn't go, anyways, as we live 1500 miles away).  We are never invited to his side of the family-they celebrate with DH's BIL's family and MIL and FIL just invite themselves over, which is fine because BIL's side of the family isn't "our" family.  But, MIL and FIL won't come and spend the holidays with us because "they've always done it this way".  While I'm not particularly fond of my IL's, they're response does hurt.  MIL/FIL hosted holidays when their kiddos were young, because they didn't think they should have to travel.  When SIL had her children, she started hosting for the same reason.  But, that's not a good enough reason for us to be able to host.  The kiddos know no difference, though.  And we have been making great memories.  I just pray, since my kiddos aren't growing up having their extended family around during the holidays, that they will invite us to their holiday celebrations!

(Man, now I'm crying.  Sometimes I just feel so unloved!  But, like I said, my children don't know any difference.)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »
Yes and no.

I have spent NYE, New Year's Day, and Easter alone.  I never really minded.

When my younger sister studied in London for a year in college, my parents told me they were going to visit her for Christmas but wouldn't be paying for me (I was still in college, too), but I could go if I could pay for it.  My grandparents, who always host Christmas Eve, didn't want me to come because it "would be too uncomfortable having me there and not the rest of the family".  So, I had planned on being alone.  My dad's mom ended up paying for my flight and hotel because she thought what my parents were doing was horrible (and I agree, it was!).

Now, all holidays are celebrated with DH and my 3 DC.  My parents and sister are cut-off.  My grandparents won't invite us because my not dealing with my toxic parents/sister is too much stress for them (we wouldn't go, anyways, as we live 1500 miles away).  We are never invited to his side of the family-they celebrate with DH's BIL's family and MIL and FIL just invite themselves over, which is fine because BIL's side of the family isn't "our" family.  But, MIL and FIL won't come and spend the holidays with us because "they've always done it this way".  While I'm not particularly fond of my IL's, they're response does hurt.  MIL/FIL hosted holidays when their kiddos were young, because they didn't think they should have to travel.  When SIL had her children, she started hosting for the same reason.  But, that's not a good enough reason for us to be able to host.  The kiddos know no difference, though.  And we have been making great memories.  I just pray, since my kiddos aren't growing up having their extended family around during the holidays, that they will invite us to their holiday celebrations!

(Man, now I'm crying.  Sometimes I just feel so unloved!  But, like I said, my children don't know any difference.)

Oh that's horrible, I'm sorry your family treated you like that.

But it sounds like in spite of it all, you ahve a better time than if you were with your respective families. And that's what matters.

JoW

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2013, 09:28:43 PM »
Many, many times.  Mom and I don't like each other.  I haven't spent a holiday with her since Christmas 1981.  Before I got married DH and I lived too far apart to travel at Christmas.  He died years ago.  And I loathe crashing someone else's family party even if I am invited. 

I beat the Christmas blues by ringing for the Salvation Army.  I ring on Black Friday (the day after US Thanksgiving), every Saturday until Christmas, and the morning of Christmas Eve, 4 or 6 hour shifts.  It makes my feet hurt but it makes my brain feel great. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »
One year, I spent Christmas in a monastery. I wasn't really alone, as there were 6 of us in the guest house (a young man who'd graduated from the college the monks ran, his wife and baby; an international student who couldn't afford to go home; a man considering his vocation, and me). It was a wonderful Christmas. Peace and quiet, good company at meals, and after a day or two you got used to getting up in the dark and cold to run to the chapel for Lauds.

lisat

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
I have spent many a holiday alone. Being formerly active duty and usually overseas I rarely got home. It didn't bother me a bit. I would take shifts for the married folks. I
They were really just another day to me. Thanksgiving though was usually a bunch of us making our favorite family traditional sides and getting together and feasting. Sometimes we were able to get to the commissary and get a turkey! It was fun to try differant dishes-although I do believe the mothers would have been somewhat horrified how terrible their sons cooked.
Christmas not a big deal. I liked being by myself.