Author Topic: General Magazine Nuttiness  (Read 20519 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: General Magazine Nuttiness
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
In the "EW!" line that SoCalVal posted, I saw a saving space idea. Roll your spare towels up and place on a small shelving unit on the floor - right next to the toilet. I saw it twice! Once was on the Home and Garden channel, and the other was in a magazine.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »
My mil subscribes to a couple of mags that she was sold to...and gives them to me.

Anyway, last month has a suggestion under, "help, I am out of lipstick and going out with the girls in an hour.  What to do??"

And the advice was to go to the Kitchen for a can of beets and to stain your lips with beet juice.

I quit reading the mag.

Seriously, if I am that desperate, beets are not the answer.

I'm completely fascinate by this suggestion.

Do that many people have cans of beets?  How do you run out of lipstick( I mean you can get a good 20 more application when they are worn own with a brush or even your finger.  Who has one tube of lipstick? *if its so important to you that cant go out without , to the point of putting beet juice on your lips wouldn't you notice a month before your one and only tube ran out? and how many people just can't take 3 minutes to buy one at the start of the evening or on their way out?  and I don't think beet juice would look good on everyone. Wouldn't it be messy , wouldn't purple strain all around your mouth look worse then no lipstick, I can put lipstick on without going "coloring outside the lines"  but beetjuice applied perfectly maybe a challange.... I know the point was that it was silly but it doesn't make sense on any level.

Also I have a jar of beets so am going to try it.  I think I'll end up with purple over half my chin

DollyPond

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »
One financial article (not sure if it was in an actual magazine or not) had tips for saving money.  One suggestion was to re-finance your 15 year mortgage to a 30 year mortgage!!!  Yes, your monthly payment is lower but you are certainly NOT saving money by paying 15 more years of interest.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »
I read this article in Glamour last night. Apparently if you are a bored rich girl, the solution to "find a meaningful purpose" is to follow an African tribe around, not wash your hair for a month, kill some animals and brag you're now their first female warrior.  ::) Just a heads up: a goat killing she mentions is graphic and really hard to stomach   :-X

http://www.glamour.com/inspired/2013/09/meet-mindy-budgor-the-worlds-first-female-maasai-warrior

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 09:54:03 PM »
The lists of holiday suggestions that they've trotted out for the last 75 years, without changing so much as a period.

"Wet the string when you tie up packages for mailing, and it won't come untied!"
And the US Postal Service will refuse to accept it, and has so refused for decades.  String would get caught in their machinery -- and we have adhesive tapes now MADE for sealing packages.

"Use a flashlight instead of a candle in the pumpkin that your child carries around on Halloween."  :o I'm 58 years old, and I have NEVER seen a child carrying a pumpkin around ToTing.  WHY would someone do such a silly thing?   They're too heavy and awkward for a small child, and kids can't carry a decent bag or bucket for the candy that way!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »
I just "love" the money saving tips.

Save $100 a month by skipping your favorite specialty coffee shop.  Well no crap, any idiot should be able to work that out if they are that strapped for cash.  Not to mention, I don't drink coffee to begin with, so me doing that isn't saving me one single cent.

Cheap but fancy wardrobe options are another favorite of mine.  They are all so crazy ridiculous things like this $120 skirt, $80 white basic looking stretchy tee that I could but at Walmart for $5, $300 designer purse, $200 boots.  Seriously, I could buy an entire new wardrobe at retail prices for what they are suggesting on 1 (Oh, I'm a pottymouth extraordinaire!) outfit.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

AnnaJane

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
This was years ago, but I remember reading an article on Quick Home Spruce Ups. One of which was to line the wall behind a woodstove with vinyl peel and stick tiles for a fresh new look! I give that about half an hour before all the vinyl starts to melt.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
Have seen this in magazines AND on decorating shows:

1) The decorator always expresses shock and horror that the individual has books.  What do they think their home IS?  A library?  WHY do you need all these silly, dust covered BOOKS????  and then...

2) The decorator/lifecoach/whatever insists the client pare down the books to ones they haven't read and get rid of all other books and finally

3) COVER ALL REMAINING BOOKS IN COORDINATED CLOTH COVERS BECAUSE THAT MAKES IT EASIER TO LOOK AT.

So I should get rid of my dictionary because I've used it already and cover all my books in the same color despite the fact that it will make it nearly impossible to find the information I am looking for.  And if I hear o ne more decorator say to a book collector "Seriously, haven't you ever heard of the internet?" I may not be responsible for my actions.

Some years ago we visited an acquaintance who had the kind of home that would be visited on a charity showcase day.  The only books in the 'public rooms' were Reader's Digest Condensed Books and only volumes which had spine colors matching the decor were exhibited. 

Not quite the perfect way to show class IMO. 

Did you and I take a Bible study together at that house?  Six weeks of Bible study at a "show place" was not conducive to kind thoughts about the (frankly abrasive) hostess.  Each room was a different pastel shade, the only books were Reader's Digest (and there were only a few of those to contrast with the little figurines and such like) and her upstairs bedrooms, including those of her adult and teen sons, were in pale pink and blue ruffles.  She kept making fun of one child who liked to read and complained about how the books were such a problem. 

Yeah, I think all the Bible study I did at HER house was wasted effort because I just went home and gnashed my teeth over the book comments.  Don't want books?  Don't read 'em...but don't make fun of people who do and suggest you are classy.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »
Not sure if this is completely allowed and I may have told the tale elsewhere, but I think it fits here.  Once upon a time the ONLY magazine I subscribed to was Redbook.  LOVED it.  There were interesting articles for single and married women, 2 to 3 excellent and beautifully written short stories by some of our best authors, now and then a whole novel, good recipes and some fun essays.

I began to notice a change about fifteen years ago.  I have a vague memory of an article entitled "The Woman Next Door: Four Women JUST LIKE YOU who have AIDS."  Now, I AM sorry that these ladies had the illness.  However:  a) I never worked as a prostitute  b) Did not decide to cheat on my partner with bisexual men because he had cheated on me c) did not share used needles for my recreational heroin use (for that matter, I have never used heroin, period).  The only woman I could relate to was the one who found out the hard way that her husband was on the down low.  Just like me, my Aunt Frances!

The other issue that finally motivated me to drop my subscription (as if I needed any after the magazine dropped their fiction section) were the incredibly gushy articles that began to crop up fawning all over celebrity romances.  One of the things I LIKED about the magazine was that they did a minimum of fussing over celebrities.  Suddenly I am reading an article celebrating the love affair of two (I shall keep them nameless) people. 

Why would this be frustrating?  Well, at the risk of sounding and being judgmental, I was annoyed that a magazine that ran several articles a year about divorcing the dirty skunk who left you for another woman would find it inappropriate to celebrate a romance between two people who had left their respective long time partner and spouse for each other after spending two months on a movie set together.  (What really chapped my hide was that the male half of the pair had been interviewed and feted just a few months before for his wonderful, strong marriage of twenty plus years.)  Seriously?  You fill my head with articles on keeping my marriage strong AND articles that tell me how to know if my husband is cheating AND articles on people apparently so shallow they need a new spouse/partner every six months.  THAT's being a strong, independent woman?

I can haz a break now?

jolyan

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »
My mil subscribes to a couple of mags that she was sold to...and gives them to me.

Anyway, last month has a suggestion under, "help, I am out of lipstick and going out with the girls in an hour.  What to do??"

And the advice was to go to the Kitchen for a can of beets and to stain your lips with beet juice.

I quit reading the mag.

Seriously, if I am that desperate, beets are not the answer.

What happened to mixing eyeshadow eith chapstick? I can't fit beets in my purse.

I'm completely fascinate by this suggestion.

Do that many people have cans of beets?  How do you run out of lipstick( I mean you can get a good 20 more application when they are worn own with a brush or even your finger.  Who has one tube of lipstick? *if its so important to you that cant go out without , to the point of putting beet juice on your lips wouldn't you notice a month before your one and only tube ran out? and how many people just can't take 3 minutes to buy one at the start of the evening or on their way out?  and I don't think beet juice would look good on everyone. Wouldn't it be messy , wouldn't purple strain all around your mouth look worse then no lipstick, I can put lipstick on without going "coloring outside the lines"  but beetjuice applied perfectly maybe a challange.... I know the point was that it was silly but it doesn't make sense on any level.

Also I have a jar of beets so am going to try it.  I think I'll end up with purple over half my chin

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 11:55:05 PM »
So, that is what happened to that magazine.  My mom used to get it and I would read it while visiting.  I used to like that and that home cooking magazine that has now gone over to Cream-of-something soup cooking. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 01:27:42 AM »
Seriously?  You fill my head with articles on keeping my marriage strong AND articles that tell me how to know if my husband is cheating AND articles on people apparently so shallow they need a new spouse/partner every six months.  THAT's being a strong, independent woman?

I can haz a break now?
Well, the cover teaser of Diet of the Month right next to the cover photo of Gooey Dessert of the Month has worked for Family Circle and Woman's Day for DECADES!  This is just the same thing done with marriage.

I often wonder if anyone really CARES about Celebrity A's latest argument with Celebrity B, or that Young Bimbo* is divorcing Old Fart for Young Hunk. I guess they do, or the magazine publishers wouldn't put them on the cover.    Or is it that the magazine tells us that we should care, so that people who prefer to be followers can all follow along together in one big herd?

*For that matter, who IS Young Bimbo?  She looks just like all the other blonde Barbie clones.  And sometimes, so does Young Hunk.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

CakeEater

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 01:31:09 AM »
I was reading a baby-care one once that suggested installing a sink into the baby's nursery so you could clean up easily after nappy changes.

My particular favourite is the supermarket here in Australia that got a celebrity chef to put out a series of recipes in their store magazine that could feed your family of four for under $10. Stuff is more expensive here than in the US, and it would be a pretty frugal meal that would feed four for $10.

All the recipes assume that you already have ingredients on hand, so for the spaghetti recipe, it doesn't count the cost of oil, or herbs that you're supposed to have already in your cupboard, and they only count the value of the amount of an item you use in a recipe, not the whole packet of that item. So if the recipe uses 1 egg, it shows the cost as the carton of a dozen divided by 12. Say, $0.36. Sure, that's the cost of that recipe, but if you were hoping to walk out of Coles with everything you needed for dinner with a 10 dollar note, you'd be sadly let down.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:41:02 AM by CakeEater »

Leafy

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 05:48:01 AM »
My "favorite" idiotic idea was from Cosmo or such type mag that had an article on what a gal could do to be "sexy for her man."  One suggestion was take her post-scrabble panties and use it as a ponytail holder to the office -- I think I might've posted about this idiotic suggestion before.  It was at that point that I finally realized that some of these writers must purposely come up with the stupidest and most bizarre "advice" and bet each other how many people are going to bite.

I have definitely read the panties as lackie for ponytail before. It reminds me of a Cosmo or Cleo article on ways to attract a man. The one that interested us was the one suggesting to put a piece of popcorn on your shoulder and lick it up suggestively. For fun we practiced to see if it could be done. It can, but you in no way look attractive when craning your neck to the side.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 06:34:19 AM »
Not advice but I remember some women's magazine  years ago stating that if you haven't been in at least one serious relationship by the time you're 25 you are severely mentally ill.