Author Topic: General Magazine Nuttiness  (Read 21251 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: General Magazine Nuttiness
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
Okay, I had to ask DH about the hair tie thing.  He theorized that maybe with a very hot woman, a really racy pair of panties, a lot of theatrics, and extremely good lighting, it might be sexy - but more likely it would just look silly.  And even the really hot woman would end up with stinky hair.

DH voted squicky and really, really weird.

He doesn't think panties should be worn as hair ties regardless how clean they are.
But he's funny that way.  :)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2013, 08:11:54 PM »
Used panties as a hair tie :o  Who comes up with this stuff?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »

My guesses: Ron Jeremy. Ladies who later boil bunnies when things go bad. Drunk ladies at a bachelorette party. Random troll on Reddit who claims his imaginary girlfriend did it for him. Whitney Cummings. A writer for Law and Order: SVU. Some unfortunate soul who got called by PrankNet and believed "YOU MUST DO THIS TO HELP US CATCH THE SERIAL R_PIST IN THE NEXT ROOM."

Yarnspinner

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »
Bhakta, are you TRYING to make me spit water at the screen?

Yahoo had a charming article this week on "the thousand dollar challenge"...how to save a thousand dollars in your budget.  Monthly.  Among the suggestions to help you "easily" save one thousand a month...let your gardener and cook go.  Do your own gardening and cooking.   I will definitely keep THAT one in mind.

Have to admit I was irked by a lot of the comments as well.  One writer stated that she was having trouble paying her mortgage, which was $1400 on a take home salary that was $2400.  Everyone dog piled on her with the rule that your mortgage/rent should never be more than one third your net take home pay.  I finally waded into the fray to leave my own message:

MY mortgage WAS one third of my take home pay when I bought this little piece of paradise (sarcasm, sarcasm) nine years ago.  Nine years later and MyCity has decided to deal with a deficit NOT by going after the developers who owe upwards of thirty million in back taxes, but by increasing home owner property taxes right through the roof.  And, since I am  a so-called "lucky" city employee, we have been forced into give backs and furloughs that have further decreased our pay.  With my most recent "raise" I am making less money than I was eight months ago.  Let's not forget the "temporary" increase in state income tax that has never been revoked, as promised.  My current mortgage payment has increased by over 350 while my salary has decreased to where my mortgage/condo fees equal over half my current salary.  I did all the right thins, folks, I don't need self styled experts make me feel worse!

dqduck

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2013, 09:28:39 PM »
This article by cracked about 7 Scrabble Tips From Cosmo That'll Put you in the Hospital is hilarious. May be a little NWS.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:31:41 PM by dqduck »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »

You gotta remember, these people are paid to come up with suggestions that are new, not necessarily suggestions that work (or are sane).  Pretty sure whoever came up with the panties-as-hair-tie thing was hailed as a genius because the idea was so innovative  :P

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »
The lists of holiday suggestions that they've trotted out for the last 75 years, without changing so much as a period.

"Wet the string when you tie up packages for mailing, and it won't come untied!"
And the US Postal Service will refuse to accept it, and has so refused for decades.  String would get caught in their machinery -- and we have adhesive tapes now MADE for sealing packages.

"Use a flashlight instead of a candle in the pumpkin that your child carries around on Halloween."  :o I'm 58 years old, and I have NEVER seen a child carrying a pumpkin around ToTing.  WHY would someone do such a silly thing?   They're too heavy and awkward for a small child, and kids can't carry a decent bag or bucket for the candy that way!

I bet they mean those plastic pumpkins kids carry to collect candy.  My dad did this for me.

Yeah, but who's put a candle inside anything except maybe a stationary jack o'lantern on their porch for years and years?
My favorite: the 'recycled' projects. Use leftover food containers for storage!  I'm all in favor of the idea, and will do this if I can - margarine tubs have nice, tight fitting lids and can hold screws, nails, pins, etc - but a lot of the time they're talking about 50 Pringle's cans, or 10 plastic coffee containers, or 25 laundry detergent bottles.  I'd have to plan pretty far in advance to accumulate those things, and in some cases by products that I never buy anyway because they're too expensive to start with.  Why bother, when I can accomplish the same goal with a $25 trip to Home Depot or a few bucks at a thrift store?

Or "Don't throw away all those empty plastic milk jugs!  Recycle them into bird feeders!"

My family drinks about 2 1/3 to 3 gallons of milk a week, more when my kids were still living at home. 3 gallons a week x 52 weeks in a year = 156 bird feeders annually. If you multiply that by the 24 years that we've lived in this house, that's 3,744 feeders.  There isn't room in our trees for that many bird feeders!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 11:35:28 PM »
The hair-tie thing is horrifically sexist and unfair to men. If I were to wear my underwear on my head, people would assume that I was drunk at a frat party.

>:D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Library Dragon

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2013, 02:11:53 AM »
Not jut sexist, but ageist too.  If I wore my granny panties as a hair tie my DSs and DH would be calling for competency hearings.  I think a nice room with white walls would be in my future.

The fact that my hair isn't long enough to tie up would aggravate the issue. 

The product placement is ridiculous. Within 3 monts almost every magazine I read had a blurb about Bag Borrow or Steal.  Wow! Coincidence! Not!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2013, 06:29:50 AM »
My mum buys a local magazine that's only a step above tabloid, and has a couple of pages of very dubious "health" advice. The best one I've seen was where on page 45 it said the hysterical equivalent of "Don't drink more than 3 cups of coffee a day! You'll diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie" and on page 47 of the very same issue, it said "Why 5 cups of coffee a day will help you live longer".

Make up your minds.  :o
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:03:20 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2013, 07:00:45 AM »
I remember the knicker/hair tie discussion happening on EHell a couple of years ago, because someone on EHell took some awesome photos of their attempts to replicate the look. I think it came off less as "phwoarrr" and more "jaunty winter hat". Trying to see if I can find the photos now.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:02:36 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Emmy

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »
Not jut sexist, but ageist too.  If I wore my granny panties as a hair tie my DSs and DH would be calling for competency hearings.  I think a nice room with white walls would be in my future.

The fact that my hair isn't long enough to tie up would aggravate the issue. 

The product placement is ridiculous. Within 3 monts almost every magazine I read had a blurb about Bag Borrow or Steal.  Wow! Coincidence! Not!

Well for short hair, you could wear the panties as a headband or maybe as a scarf around your neck.  Maybe I should get a job writing for one of these magazines.  :P

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Best iteration of "undergarments on the head":

BeagleMommy

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
I remember one that suggested to remind your SO of an especially enjoyable tryst to place your panties in his briefcase or other work tote for him to pull out later in the day and relive the joy.

When I asked DH about that he said "Do you really think I want my entire office to see me pull your used panties out of my tool kit?!  Who's bright idea was that and what were they smoking at the time?!"

We did not try it.  >:D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
This was years ago, but I remember reading an article on Quick Home Spruce Ups. One of which was to line the wall behind a woodstove with vinyl peel and stick tiles for a fresh new look! I give that about half an hour before all the vinyl starts to melt.

I worked my way through college, back in the 20th Century.

One of the things I sold was Contact vinyl shelf covering - then packaged in one BIG roll that the clerk cut off as much as the customer wanted.

An older woman came back in with a melted mess and wanted a refund of her money.  She'd use the vinyl as wall paper in her kitchen (it could be cleaned more easily than paint or wallpaper made of paper) - and had left over yardage, so she'd covered her stove to match...

Then she'd turned on the stove to make dinner.

The melted mess had been on the stove and I'm not sure how well the splash panel behind the stove had done, she was a bit hard to understand due to what the politically correct now call a "heavy accent" (and using the wrong words that sounded almost like the right ones didn't help) - the assistant manager finally cut extra Contact paper to replace the melted mess but told her that vinyl shelf paper didn't work well on hot surfaces. 

Which led her to ask him if "she looked like an idiot"? 

There was no polite way to tell her that she was the one who had come in to demand a refund or replacement on four yards of vinyl shelf paper that had melted off the sides of her stove....

++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is no way I would rent a handbag for $XXX a month - seriously - I don't spend that much on a new handbag if I were to buy a NEW one every year for the past three years.  I might get up to $100 - but not $375!

And they were such small handbags, too!  For that kind of money, I want Hermione Granger's bag of holding that is large enough to store a library, a tent, an Invisibility Cloak, and whatever else that got pulled out of it during The Deathly Hallows...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:23:49 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?