Author Topic: General Magazine Nuttiness  (Read 17587 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: General Magazine Nuttiness
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »
In the last month, we've been told that we should ---

Drink cocoa instead of coffee for breakfast (good for the memory)

Drink a large glass of grape juice with every meal (good for the memory)

I doubt I'd ever remember to do all that . . . 8)

That's exactly the thing.  I asked MIL where she read this.  She doesn't remember. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »
The Kinkade-Star Wars mash up actually made me like a Kinkade painting for the first time. 

The fashion prices amaze me at times. Allure has the Lust and Must page.  I laugh every time the must item is $25 less than the uber expensive designer item.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

workingmum

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2013, 04:34:43 AM »
Have you seen http://Catalogliving.net and Magazine Living: http://curbed.com

oh yeah - thanks for this... that assignment on training plans etc is not getting done tonight!!! That site is hilarious!!!
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
The "save a bunch of money by giving up your daily Starbucks latte" tips crack me up. I don't do Starbucks, and if I did, I'd be buying plain old black coffee (do they sell such a thing?). I will buy the occasional $1.20 cup of coffee at the convenience store instead of, or in addition to, making my own at home. I guess I'm just not in their demographic. I'm definitely not in the "wear your panties as a Scrunchie" demographic -- they obviously haven't seen my plus-size cotton Hanes skivvies.

Yes, they do, as that's all I drink from there. Butr really only when traveling or am out and want coffee. I certainly don't stop daily.

You and me both, i can't even imagine trying to get my Hanes granny panties around my hair! 

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
MIL and her friends subscribe to a number of health newsletters.  Some of these are of more va
Ue than others. She frequently sends us tips on what we should be drinking.

Drink a hot beverage after every meal (dissolves all the fat in the food you eat.  :( )

Of course, we should be drinking at least a gallon of water a day and at least ten cups of green tea. 

Good grief!  With all that liquid, I'd be lucky if I ever got out of the bathroom.
Some time ago, there were a series of ads in women's magazines for a fat-buster product.  Not to consume, mind you, but to put into your hot bath water.  It was supposed to somehow dissolve the fat, which then went down the drain. 

This raised a number of questions in my mind, like "How dumb do these people think women are?"

And even more about "But what if it really worked?"
  • Wouldn't the fat float to the top of the water?  Ewww, bathing in grease-coated water, my favorite thing in the world.  And think about having to clean the bathtub!
  • If the fat does go down the drain, wouldn't it cause clogs?
  • How long does it take to work?  If you sit in the tub, wouldn't it dissolve only the fat below the water-line? Or to even things out, do you have to sink down into the water and slowly rotate, like a chicken on a rotisserie?

Okay, now you're making me laugh out loud at work, and while it's fun, I'm getting weird looks!

Maybe we should all just get some Adipose pills? The fat just walks away, or so I've been told...

Why that would be a secret thing, is beyond me. Just ask - there's thousands of people on Earth who'd happily help an alien race procreate in exchange for miraculous fat loss!

Only trouble is... I'd wanna keep one.

They're so cute!

alkira6

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »
MIL and her friends subscribe to a number of health newsletters.  Some of these are of more va
Ue than others. She frequently sends us tips on what we should be drinking.

Drink a hot beverage after every meal (dissolves all the fat in the food you eat.  :( )

Of course, we should be drinking at least a gallon of water a day and at least ten cups of green tea. 

Good grief!  With all that liquid, I'd be lucky if I ever got out of the bathroom.
Some time ago, there were a series of ads in women's magazines for a fat-buster product.  Not to consume, mind you, but to put into your hot bath water.  It was supposed to somehow dissolve the fat, which then went down the drain. 

This raised a number of questions in my mind, like "How dumb do these people think women are?"

And even more about "But what if it really worked?"
  • Wouldn't the fat float to the top of the water?  Ewww, bathing in grease-coated water, my favorite thing in the world.  And think about having to clean the bathtub!
  • If the fat does go down the drain, wouldn't it cause clogs?
  • How long does it take to work?  If you sit in the tub, wouldn't it dissolve only the fat below the water-line? Or to even things out, do you have to sink down into the water and slowly rotate, like a chicken on a rotisserie?

Okay, now you're making me laugh out loud at work, and while it's fun, I'm getting weird looks!

Maybe we should all just get some Adipose pills? The fat just walks away, or so I've been told...

Why that would be a secret thing, is beyond me. Just ask - there's thousands of people on Earth who'd happily help an alien race procreate in exchange for miraculous fat loss!

Only trouble is... I'd wanna keep one.

They're so cute!

When I saw that episode I told my husband that they would only need me and maybe one other to totally repopulate.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2013, 05:05:31 PM »
I am always amazed at how "save money" and "save time" articles are coming from opposite sides.  Want to save money, get rid of extras, such as housekeeper.   Want to save time, hire someone to do your menial chores. 

And "must haves" clothing articles?  They make me laugh.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
Not exactly a magazine, but MyRecipes had this silly advice; I guess someone over there isn't allowed to use sharp kitchen objects ? "Baker's tip: To make a pure white cake, use your fingers to rub off the browned surface of each layer before assembling."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »
I just got my latest issue of Consumer Reports and the front cover has the headline "Find the best gifts for everyone on your list!" and underneath a bullet point list of things like laptops, tvs, tablets, and phones.  Of course, because I routinely purchase laptops, tablets and cell phones for everyone on my Christmas gifting list!  ::)  :P

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2013, 07:08:53 PM »
well, they have to photograph makeup every month, and they want something semi-artistic. And I'll say that I've always had the urge to do that with makeup in the package.

I'm not alone! Actually I've done that with make-up, but much cheaper make-up then what they use in magazines I'm sure. I find it fun.
Having your very only Holi festivals, are you?  ;D

Edit: That would be a good way to do it, I guess.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2013, 07:42:45 PM »
I kind of thought they did that so you can get an idea of the texture, too. Lots of shadows and pencils vary in how oily vs. powdery they are. Something more smudgy when smashed is probably more oily, crumbly will be powdery. You can get a little idea of the coverage, as well, seeing it smushed across a white or neutral surface. You can learn so much about things from smashing them... :)

edited because hobish can't type
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »
I just got my latest issue of Consumer Reports and the front cover has the headline "Find the best gifts for everyone on your list!" and underneath a bullet point list of things like laptops, tvs, tablets, and phones.  Of course, because I routinely purchase laptops, tablets and cell phones for everyone on my Christmas gifting list!  ::)  :P

What kills me this time of year are the articles on 'perfect stocking stuffers'. 

Yeah, I'm really going to spend 50 USD on a stocking stuffer. 

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2013, 08:23:54 PM »
I just got my latest issue of Consumer Reports and the front cover has the headline "Find the best gifts for everyone on your list!" and underneath a bullet point list of things like laptops, tvs, tablets, and phones.  Of course, because I routinely purchase laptops, tablets and cell phones for everyone on my Christmas gifting list! ::)  :P

Excellent! I want need a new laptop so can you please add me to your Christmas giving list.  >:D ;) ;D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2013, 08:33:49 PM »
Not exactly a magazine, but MyRecipes had this silly advice; I guess someone over there isn't allowed to use sharp kitchen objects ? "Baker's tip: To make a pure white cake, use your fingers to rub off the browned surface of each layer before assembling."

I'd assume that was because trying to cut it off could be harder or more damaging to the cake than gently rubbing the surface away with the pads of your fingers.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »

I'd assume that was because trying to cut it off could be harder or more damaging to the cake than gently rubbing the surface away with the pads of your fingers.
When I took a Wilton cake decorating course umpty-zillion years ago, that was the advice that they gave us.  Those little crumbs can migrate into the frosting and keep it from being nice and smooth.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~