Author Topic: General Magazine Nuttiness  (Read 20845 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: General Magazine Nuttiness
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 07:01:21 AM »
My particular favourite is the supermarket here in Australia that got a celebrity chef to put out a series of recipes in their store magazine that could feed your family of four for under $10. Stuff is more expensive here than in the US, and it would be a pretty frugal meal that would feed four for $10.

All the recipes assume that you already have ingredients on hand, so for the spaghetti recipe, it doesn't count the cost of oil, or herbs that you're supposed to have already in your cupboard, and they only count the value of the amount of an item you use in a recipe, not the whole packet of that item. So if the recipe uses 1 egg, it shows the cost as the carton of a dozen divided by 12. Say, $0.36. Sure, that's the cost of that recipe, but if you were hoping to walk out of Coles with everything you needed for dinner with a 10 dollar note, you'd be sadly let down.

Along the same lines are the DIY articles that tell you about someone who made a coat rack/desk/entertainment center for FREE! or Just Ten Dollars!

Except that when you read the article, there's no way you can duplicate the item for that amount of money. Because the DIY'er just happened to have half a gallon of the perfect color paint remaining after painting the bathroom, their mother just happened to have given them a huge slab of exotic wood that would be perfect for a desk top and they just happened to have enough scrap lumber left over after creating their child's indoor tree house to fashion an entertainment center. All the screws and nails used in the project were just laying around their house, waiting to be used for "free." So all they had to buy were the drawer pulls, but if you wanted to, you could easily fashion those from all sorts of scraps you have laying around.

But for the person reading the article, the actual cost, if they tried to duplicate the supplies used in the article that the DIY'er had "lying around," would be much, much more. That gallon of paint would cost $35, the slab of wood at least $100, and the lumber for the entertainment system another $100 to $200 dollars.

To say nothing of the cost of the special power router you'd need, or the fancy biscuit cutter, or whatever expensive power tool was used to "make the job a snap!"

And while there are people with all these power tools and huge stockpiles of wood, paint, hardware and other supplies, most of us don't have these.

It would be so much more useful if they'd estimate how much it would cost to duplicate the project, instead of luring the reader in with the idea that they, too, could craft a wall-sized entertainment center for $15. It's usually still a good idea, but I get so turned off when I realize that for the average reader, there's no way to make the item for anywhere near the same cost.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »
My "favorite" idiotic idea was from Cosmo or such type mag that had an article on what a gal could do to be "sexy for her man."  One suggestion was take her post-scrabble panties and use it as a ponytail holder to the office -- I think I might've posted about this idiotic suggestion before.  It was at that point that I finally realized that some of these writers must purposely come up with the stupidest and most bizarre "advice" and bet each other how many people are going to bite.

I have definitely read the panties as lackie for ponytail before. It reminds me of a Cosmo or Cleo article on ways to attract a man. The one that interested us was the one suggesting to put a piece of popcorn on your shoulder and lick it up suggestively. For fun we practiced to see if it could be done. It can, but you in no way look attractive when craning your neck to the side.

The panties-as-a-ponytail-holder has got to be, quite possibly, the most bizarre and disgusting thing I've ever heard of. EWWWW. Stuff like this is why I stopped reading any and all of those types of magazines.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 09:29:35 AM »
I've stopped reading magazines, period.  I'll pick one up in a waiting room and I'm at least 20 pages in before I get to an article to read, because of all the ads.  Drives me bonkers.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »
The lists of holiday suggestions that they've trotted out for the last 75 years, without changing so much as a period.

"Wet the string when you tie up packages for mailing, and it won't come untied!"
And the US Postal Service will refuse to accept it, and has so refused for decades.  String would get caught in their machinery -- and we have adhesive tapes now MADE for sealing packages.

"Use a flashlight instead of a candle in the pumpkin that your child carries around on Halloween."  :o I'm 58 years old, and I have NEVER seen a child carrying a pumpkin around ToTing.  WHY would someone do such a silly thing?   They're too heavy and awkward for a small child, and kids can't carry a decent bag or bucket for the candy that way!

I bet they mean those plastic pumpkins kids carry to collect candy.  My dad did this for me.

Hillia

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »
The lists of holiday suggestions that they've trotted out for the last 75 years, without changing so much as a period.

"Wet the string when you tie up packages for mailing, and it won't come untied!"
And the US Postal Service will refuse to accept it, and has so refused for decades.  String would get caught in their machinery -- and we have adhesive tapes now MADE for sealing packages.

"Use a flashlight instead of a candle in the pumpkin that your child carries around on Halloween."  :o I'm 58 years old, and I have NEVER seen a child carrying a pumpkin around ToTing.  WHY would someone do such a silly thing?   They're too heavy and awkward for a small child, and kids can't carry a decent bag or bucket for the candy that way!

I bet they mean those plastic pumpkins kids carry to collect candy.  My dad did this for me.

Yeah, but who's put a candle inside anything except maybe a stationary jack o'lantern on their porch for years and years?

My favorite: the 'recycled' projects. Use leftover food containers for storage!  I'm all in favor of the idea, and will do this if I can - margarine tubs have nice, tight fitting lids and can hold screws, nails, pins, etc - but a lot of the time they're talking about 50 Pringle's cans, or 10 plastic coffee containers, or 25 laundry detergent bottles.  I'd have to plan pretty far in advance to accumulate those things, and in some cases by products that I never buy anyway because they're too expensive to start with.  Why bother, when I can accomplish the same goal with a $25 trip to Home Depot or a few bucks at a thrift store?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yarnspinner

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »
Not advice but I remember some women's magazine  years ago stating that if you haven't been in at least one serious relationship by the time you're 25 you are severely mentally ill.

My ex-sister-in-law must have read that article!  She told me once that there must be something horribly wrong with me because, at the age of 48, I hadn't had a serious relationship and that if I wasn't married by the time I was sixty, there must be something mentally wrong with me.

Because getting married over and over again is a healthy thing to do, I guess.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »
My "favorite" idiotic idea was from Cosmo or such type mag that had an article on what a gal could do to be "sexy for her man."  One suggestion was take her post-scrabble panties and use it as a ponytail holder to the office -- I think I might've posted about this idiotic suggestion before.  It was at that point that I finally realized that some of these writers must purposely come up with the stupidest and most bizarre "advice" and bet each other how many people are going to bite.

I admit, I don't know much about turning men on. But I can't imagine a single one of my female friends calling up their male partner and saying "So I'm wearing panties in my hair as a ponytail holder" and the guy saying "That's hot". That's crazy, why'd you do that, and oh, do you need me to bring you a pony tail holder, sure. But getting turned on by it, I don't see that. Plus, you'll be the girl with dirty panties in her hair all day. Not a reputation I'd want.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »

I admit, I don't know much about turning men on. But I can't imagine a single one of my female friends calling up their male partner and saying "So I'm wearing panties in my hair as a ponytail holder" and the guy saying "That's hot". That's crazy, why'd you do that, and oh, do you need me to bring you a pony tail holder, sure. But getting turned on by it, I don't see that. Plus, you'll be the girl with dirty panties in her hair all day. Not a reputation I'd want.

And I don't even see how this idea could work. There is no way my panties, clean or otherwise, could be twisted around enough that they would actually be able to hold my hair in any kind of a ponytail.

But then, I need one of those little, tiny, little girl ponytail holders and it goes around all my hair three times, so maybe other women just have more hair?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »

And I don't even see how this idea could work. There is no way my panties, clean or otherwise, could be twisted around enough that they would actually be able to hold my hair in any kind of a ponytail.

But then, I need one of those little, tiny, little girl ponytail holders and it goes around all my hair three times, so maybe other women just have more hair?

I have a lot of hair but I still don't think I could make it work. And I can tell you Partner would not be turned on. She'd probably be trying to have me committed for wearing underwear in my hair.

Emmy

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
Glamour magazine often has fashion spreads.  One time in particular, I remember they were calling their looks 'wearable'.  The models were in crazy prints in unflattering shapes and didn't even look good under idea circumstances (model bodies, perfect lighting, ect).  I'm sure if I wore those styles, I'd be frumpy at best, getting spare change at the worst.

I also find it ironic when magazines have issues about saving money, getting out of debt, ect., then go on to show ridiculously expensive clothes and bags in the same issue.  Another irony I see a lot is the whole 'different body types are beautiful' message when the magazine features only one body type.

If I tried the panty ponytail holder, I think my DH would be more embarrassed for me than turned on by it.  I'm not a guy, but I imagine most of the suggestions such as the panty ponytail holder would come across as trying too hard and have the opposite effect on men.  I wonder if the writers have actually tried some of the crazy stuff they suggest the readers try.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »

I have a lot of hair but I still don't think I could make it work. And I can tell you Partner would not be turned on. She'd probably be trying to have me committed for wearing underwear in my hair.

I think I could make it work, but as a (mild) germaphobe, just the idea of well-used undies in my *hair* is making me nauseous. :( If I saw someone doing this, I'd probably run the other way.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Paper Roses

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
I had my kids during the time that Barney was The Big Thing.  He was everywhere, and as much as the kids loved him, every adult I knew despised him - well, the whole show, actually.  But one parenting magazine took it to a whole new level. 

In the back of the magazine they usually had previews of articles that would be in the next issue.  One of them featured Barney, and said that he was more than just annoying, he could be "downright dangerous."  Well, of course this piqued my interest, and I couldn't wait until the next month.  When I finally got my copy, I eagerly found the article, wondering what on earth it would say - expecting all kinds of stories about child endangerment, predators, and who knows what else.

What the article said was that Barney sends the wrong message - and one example was that one episode had a girl who was sad because everyone else had families that included siblings and dads, but her family just had a mommy and a nana.  So Barney said, "Oh, don't be sad, your family is just right for YOU!"  And then the girl was happy again. 

Apparently, this was likely to drive little children to all kinds of epic self destruction, because Barney should have told her that it's ok to be sad about not having brothers or sisters or a father. 

Wow, overdramatize much?  It's not that I don't understand what they're saying, but I think they're splitting hairs. 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
I think I could make it work, but as a (mild) germaphobe, just the idea of well-used undies in my *hair* is making me nauseous. :( If I saw someone doing this, I'd probably run the other way.

I don't think I'm a germaphobe particularly, but I still find the idea of wearing or seeing someone with used undies in their hair to be utterly disgusting.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
Okay, I had to ask DH about the hair tie thing.  He theorized that maybe with a very hot woman, a really racy pair of panties, a lot of theatrics, and extremely good lighting, it might be sexy - but more likely it would just look silly.  And even the really hot woman would end up with stinky hair.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
Aside from the WHEEEW factor, the hair-tie thing might just work if the panties in question were extremely skimpy thongs.

It amused me to think of a pair of thermal undies tied at the nape of the neck with the legs forming a 'Gibson Girl' bow.  That could be fun.