Author Topic: S/O Our treats . . . when the "hoarder" is in your department  (Read 5246 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
S/O Our treats . . . when the "hoarder" is in your department
« on: November 03, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
BG: I sit close enough to our kitchen area so that I can hear what's going on in there. It's basically background noises like someone's using the microwave or someone's getting ice from the freezer, type of thing. I can hear people talking, but I don't tune into the conversation (just like people talking in the next cube over.) No. I am not a kitchen-cop. These are every-day sounds that I basically ignore. endBG.

The other day (Halloween) I heard some rustling/crinkling with something that sounded like cellophane wrapping. I paid it no never-mind. Then about 30 minutes later I went to refresh my ice water and saw a nice tray of Halloween treats . . . Ghostly Peeps, Bat Pretzels, Rice Krispie bars, and Pumpkin sugar cookies, all singly wrapped . . . 10 of each. (There are 8 people in our immediate office area.)

I thought "Ha! BigBoss did it again! ;D" and took me a rice krispie bar. Yum!

BigBoss does this on occasions. She'll leave a tray of treats (purchased from the cafeteria catering menu) and not tell anyone that they are there. Just a nice surprise type of thing.

I went back to the cube-area and mentioned to CWs that there was a tray of treats in the kitchen.

GrumpyCW asked "Who is it from?" I said "I assume BigBoss" GCW said "Yeah, and she couldn't tell us? >:( What's up with that? ::)" Now, GCW has a thing against BigBoss which I stay out of.

While I was e-mailing a TY to BigBoss, I overheard (yes, I tuned in :-\) GCW saying to other CW "Who's going to eat that (the Peeps)? Those are really disgusting. But I'll take all of these, these are a really good snack food." There was more conversation going on, but I tuned out. A few minutes later I heard GCW open her desk drawer and a few thuds, like someone was dropping things in the drawer.

After a while I went to refresh my ice water and saw that all of the rice krispie bars were gone.

I've also noticed (another BigBoss kindness) that when our fridge is stocked with drinks (soda, gatorade, ice tea, water, etc.) certain things are depleted rather quickly and have seen GCW walking to her cube with several bottles of something or the other.

To me, this is not a hill to die on. I think that these side benefits provided by BigBoss are a wonderful thing. If I get one or two of something offered? I'm happy (except I would have liked another rice krispie treat the next day if any were left. ;))

I do, however, think that GSW is very rude hoarding these benefits (by storing her favorites in her desk.)

What do you think?

Is there a polite way to say something to GSW or should I just let it go.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: S/O Our treats . . . when the "hoarder" is in your department
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »
Your boss provided 4 types of snack, enough for everyone to have one of each type with a few extras, and a coworker took all of one type? She took the remaining 9 Rice Krispie treats? Leaving 30 other snacks to be split among the remaining 8 employees? I'd send a generic email to everyone along the lines of "I was dissappointed to see that someone took all of the Rice Krispie treats that were so generously left in the break room for everyone to share. In the future I would appreciate everyone having a chance to get a treat before the 'leftovers' are taken. Thanks."

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:56:10 PM »
I think this is one of those things you just have to let go. If BigBoss notices and cares, BigBoss should take care of it.

Although I have to admit, my brain is struggling with the fact that GCW dislikes BigBoss and dislikes the way BigBoss handles the treats, yet doesn't see the disconnect between that and taking large amounts of the treats and hoarding them and not letting other co-workers get their fair share of a given treat.

GCW really needs a lesson on sharing, but it would probably be rude to give it to her.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »
  I think if you see her take all of the treats you can make an interesting assumption ......" You must be famished"  , "No, I just really like these." , " Oh well since you really like them. I guess its fair you're taking them all."  You have to pull off the tone.  You cant be snide or sarcastic you have to sound pleasant.

Ginger G

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »
Yeah, we have one of those in our department.  The rest of us have basically learned that if we want something, we better hurry up and get it before the hoarder gets there.  I learned that myself the hard way when we had a department box lunch and the restaurant sent us 1 cookie per box lunch, so exactly one per person.  Usually the cookies were in the boxes but for some reason they were in a separate container this time.  When I finished my lunch, I wanted to take my cookie to eat later but it was gone.  I didn't make a big deal since it was just a cookie, but I know a couple of people in our department who would have pitched a total fit over it.

BarensMom

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »
Why couldn't OP or someone else just "rat" the hoarder out to the Boss?  The hoarder is not only just taking "free" treats that Boss and others bring in, but sodas, etc., that are essentially company resources.

At my old job, we used to keep a small supply of sodas and bottled water on hand in the conference room fridge for our guests.  Woe betide the employee caught taking soda from that fridge if they weren't participating in a meeting.

Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »
We have one as well. He's gotten into trouble for stealing lunches (including the regional manager's half eaten container of takeout Chinese, when said boss had put a name on it and was planning to finish after a one hour meeting :o ) but has skated by so far by purchasing replacement lunches when a victim of his theft confronts him (often a day after lunch was needed). We can't really do anything about his hoarding general snacks supplied by the company, but whereas we used to have a generous variety we now have only coffee and popcorn. No sodas, no oatmeal, no fruit, no cup o noodles. Thanks a lot, food hoarder; I can't even keep a spare lunch in the freezer in case of emergency anymore, you'll probably steal it because there's nothing else here you can take.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
I think you can ask a question, and then drop it.

"Aren't you going to leave that for other employees to eat?"

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
We have a few like that too; I call them "the locusts". If I bring any treats to share (rare anymore, for many reasons), I make a trip around the office to offer the goodies to certain people first, leave the rest on my desk for a while, and eventually move the leftovers, if any, to the breakroom.

One Good Friday, when I was still fairly new to the department, I hid a couple dozen plastic eggs with candies around the office for coworkers to stumble upon, just for fun. One person scrambled around snatching up every one she could find, much to the disgust of others. She seemed genuinely taken aback to find out that they were intended for *everyone*. Geez... Not doing that one again.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 02:52:12 PM »
It's been quite awhile since I worked in an office, but I remember one co-worker who would hoard stuff to take it home to his family. Everyone else had family, too, but they didn't do that. Now, if he'd done that at the end of the day when everyone had had a chance, that's fine, but he'd take it at the beginning of the day. Some people are just....odd.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
It's been quite awhile since I worked in an office, but I remember one co-worker who would hoard stuff to take it home to his family. Everyone else had family, too, but they didn't do that. Now, if he'd done that at the end of the day when everyone had had a chance, that's fine, but he'd take it at the beginning of the day. Some people are just....odd.

I disagree. Greedy is the word that comes to mind for me! 

DCGirl

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
We have a few like that too; I call them "the locusts".

I had a boss who compared them to the bears at Yellowstone Park that break into cars, etc., to get to food. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 03:31:44 PM »
I'm never ceased to be amazed at how downright cutthroat some people become at the mere thought of "free food". People who would never stoop to sneak bills from their coworkers' wallets are quite casual about stealing an equivalent amount of food. They seem to see it as merely "foraging," even though they would, if asked, admit that someone has had to pay real money for that food, and that they would not be willing to pay the money (and expend the effort) to obtain the same food on their own.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cwm

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »
I'm never ceased to be amazed at how downright cutthroat some people become at the mere thought of "free food". People who would never stoop to sneak bills from their coworkers' wallets are quite casual about stealing an equivalent amount of food. They seem to see it as merely "foraging," even though they would, if asked, admit that someone has had to pay real money for that food, and that they would not be willing to pay the money (and expend the effort) to obtain the same food on their own.

ITA with this. When there's food days at work, I know I can't afford to take in enough food for everyone, so I don't participate. I don't bring anything in, and I don't expect to be fed by everyone else. It usually ends up that I'm told to go eat some of the food anyway, but I never plan on it, and I never go to other areas/departments. Nothing is free, if I'm not paying for it then someone else is, and I'd never ask any of my co-workers to feed me. That's just highly presumptuous and entitled.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 10:41:01 AM »

I disagree. Greedy is the word that comes to mind for me!

I like your word better!  :)