Author Topic: Gluten free bread help  (Read 431 times)

perpetua

Gluten free bread help
« on: November 04, 2013, 04:18:48 AM »
Has anyone had success making gluten free bread in a breadmaker?

I'm having trouble getting it to rise and it being of the right consistency. I know GF bread won't rise as much as white bread, but I'm ending up with housebricks.

Also, it doesn't seem to form a proper dough ball at the mixing/kneading stage, even if I add a bit of extra flour.

I'm following the recipe in my specific breadmaker's instructions which is as follows:
350g warm water
1.5 tbsp  olive oil
0.5 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
400g wholemeal GF/wheat free flour
1 tsp yeast

Things to note: I'm putting the ingredients in in the right order and also using the GF programme on the breadmaker. But still, no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas for tweaks I could make to the recipe to get it a bit better? Would using white GF flour  instead of wholemeal help? My normal bog standard white loaf came out fantastic.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Gluten free bread help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:58:21 AM »
try making a sponge with the yeast, about a quarter of the flour and, some of the water, and a little extra sugar to give the yeast something to eat right away.  Remember that wholemeal flour still has the bran covering on it and so the yeast may take a little more time to eat it up.

If you start with a sponge, you are basically starting with more yeast ready to nom on the flour and give you a lot more rising power.  Another thing you can try is to replace some of the water with a whole egg or egg whites.  Gluten is a protein, so adding some protein back into the recipe may help give the structure of the bread a bit of a lift.

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 04:59:57 AM »
I normally use a breadmaker  for making bread (only to make dough -- I always bake in the oven), but gluten-free bread is a law unto itself. I have made gluten-free bread a couple of times, for a friend, and it is essential to use a specific recipe for gluten-free bread (the one I have includes strange things like milk and vinegar), since it does not behave as ordinary flour with yeast, which are basically reliant on gluten. I didn't use the breadmaker, since it doesn't involve any kneading, and the timings are all different. My result did not look or smell like regular bread, but my friend was absolutely thrilled with it.

perpetua

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:40:23 AM »
PastryGoddess: I'm really new to this, so I'm afraid I have no idea what any of that means about making a sponge... All I can do at this stage is plonk the ingredients into the pan and press a button :)

How much of the water should I replace with an egg? The dough seems to be very wet as it is. It won't make a dough ball at all, even though I'm following the recipe exactly (the white bread made a perfect dough ball with the addition of a sprinkle of extra flour, so I know it's not the machine).

The other thing is that it tastes really, really bitter. It's got a horrid aftertaste. Maybe my GF flour is a bit old, it's been in the cupboard for a while.

veryfluffy: the recipe I'm using is the specific GF bread recipe in the breadmaker's instruction leaflet. I was surprised that it didn't have any vinegar in it, because all the recipes on the GF flour packets I've seen do. But I was a bit afraid to deviate from it.

For a really good laugh, here's how the latest batch turned out:

You can all laugh now  ;D

Things wrong with it:

1. It hasn't risen at *all*.
2. There's a big hole in the middle of it where the paddle mixed it- the hole goes from top to bottom, it's like a donut
3. It's got peaks all over the top of it
4. It's really, really heavy. Seriously, it's like a housebrick
4. It's got a bitter taste to it.

Does that give any pointers as to what's wrong with the recipe?

veryfluffy

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:47:41 AM »
The recipe you used is essentially the ordinary bread recipe, but using gluten-free flour...I have a feeling the breadmaker people were being clueless.

Here's a breadmaker recipe on the website of the brand of gluten-free flour that I use:

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-white-bread-for-bread-machines

vinegar, lots of oil, eggs...etc. There is also a recipe for wholemeal.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:57:47 AM »
Maybe you can use the bread as a doorstop..or a hand weight :D

To make a sponge you take all of the yeast, about a quarter of the flour, some sugar and add enough water to make it the consistency of pancake batter.  You don't want it to be too thin or the yeast will go crazy.  Let it sit for anywhere between 15 min to an hour.  You then add it to the bread maker when it's time to add the yeast.

You can use a sponge for all types of bread not just gluten free.  you are basically populating the bread with yeast ready to go and the process will go faster.

To substitute egg whites for water you just do a 1:1 ratio.  So if the egg whits weigh 45g, then you remove 45g of water from the recipe

I agree with others that the recipe seems a bit off.  The GF flour needs some extra oomph to help it rise.  I'd definitely find a different recipe if possible.

perpetua

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:10:46 AM »
The recipe you used is essentially the ordinary bread recipe, but using gluten-free flour...I have a feeling the breadmaker people were being clueless.

Here's a breadmaker recipe on the website of the brand of gluten-free flour that I use:

Oh wow, that's totally different isn't it. No wonder it was so rubbish! I was just sticking to the advice that I found everywhere, ie, use the recipes in the breadmaker book first.

So if I use this recipe instead, should I still use the GF programme on the breadmaker, or just the normal loaf one?

I'll have to give it a whirl later, I'm out of GF flour after all the failed attempts so I need to go to Sainsbury's first and stock up.

PastryGoddess - in all the instructions for this breadmaker you add all the ingredients at the same time (although in the correct order), so there isn't a 'time to add the yeast'... now I'm even more confused :)

Ha, yes, it would make an excellent hand weight for my physio, that's a flippin' good point!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:57:49 AM »
I'm so glad you started this thread...I was planning to attempt GF bread in my bread machine this coming weekend! You have probably saved me a lot of grief. I've been all over the Internet looking at GF recipes and trying to decide which one would be the best. I was leaning toward the one on the King Arthur website. I'll have to see how it compares to the one Very Fluffy posted. I'll post with an update (especially if it comes out good!).

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

perpetua

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »
Oh yes, please do - it'll be interesting to compare notes. Even if they don't come out well it's still worth posting - perhaps between us we can figure out some improvements.

I've just been in touch with Doves Farm who make the GF flour and provide those recipes - they said that if you have a GF setting on your breadmaker to use that, even though it says 'normal bread programme' on the recipe.

I'm going to try it tomorrow (or maybe tonight) and I'll post with an update.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 12:44:27 PM »
Most of my GF recipes call for Xanthan Gum, which acts like the gluten.  I made a batch of cookies where I forgot to put them in.  They were very, very flat.  Tasted great but I had to cut them into squares because they all ran together.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »

Oh wow, that's totally different isn't it. No wonder it was so rubbish! I was just sticking to the advice that I found everywhere, ie, use the recipes in the breadmaker book first.

So if I use this recipe instead, should I still use the GF programme on the breadmaker, or just the normal loaf one?

I'll have to give it a whirl later, I'm out of GF flour after all the failed attempts so I need to go to Sainsbury's first and stock up.

PastryGoddess - in all the instructions for this breadmaker you add all the ingredients at the same time (although in the correct order), so there isn't a 'time to add the yeast'... now I'm even more confused :)

Ha, yes, it would make an excellent hand weight for my physio, that's a flippin' good point!

I meant put the sponge in as the yeast in the correct order.  So if the yeast goes at the top, that where you would put the sponge.  If the yeast goes in somewhere in the middle, that's where you would put the sponge...that's all

perpetua

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »

I meant put the sponge in as the yeast in the correct order.  So if the yeast goes at the top, that where you would put the sponge.  If the yeast goes in somewhere in the middle, that's where you would put the sponge...that's all

Ah, I see - thanks, that makes sense now!

perpetua

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 06:18:37 AM »
It worked! This is the recipe from the Doves Farm site, as posted by veryfluffy.

It's a little bit sweeter than normal bread and the crust is quite short - not unlike a less sweet apple pie crust actually - but it's tasty and smells delicious! It rose and everything!

It's a bit too heavy (not overly so though) because I kept thinking 'this doesn't look like dough' and adding more flour, until I found out half way through mixing that it's supposed to look like pancake batter, not a dough ball like normal bread. Duh.

I'm a little bit worried about the egg whites in it because i'm slightly intolerant to them - they give me horrid tummy ache (I'm OK with cake though, so perhaps it'll be ok) - so now I know it works I might experiment with just the yolks next time. Any ideas how that might affect it?