Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Gluten free bread help

<< < (3/3)

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: perpetua on November 04, 2013, 06:10:46 AM ---
--- Quote from: veryfluffy on November 04, 2013, 05:47:41 AM ---The recipe you used is essentially the ordinary bread recipe, but using gluten-free flour...I have a feeling the breadmaker people were being clueless.

Here's a breadmaker recipe on the website of the brand of gluten-free flour that I use:

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-white-bread-for-bread-machines

vinegar, lots of oil, eggs...etc. There is also a recipe for wholemeal.

--- End quote ---

Oh wow, that's totally different isn't it. No wonder it was so rubbish! I was just sticking to the advice that I found everywhere, ie, use the recipes in the breadmaker book first.

So if I use this recipe instead, should I still use the GF programme on the breadmaker, or just the normal loaf one?

I'll have to give it a whirl later, I'm out of GF flour after all the failed attempts so I need to go to Sainsbury's first and stock up.

PastryGoddess - in all the instructions for this breadmaker you add all the ingredients at the same time (although in the correct order), so there isn't a 'time to add the yeast'... now I'm even more confused :)

Ha, yes, it would make an excellent hand weight for my physio, that's a flippin' good point!

--- End quote ---

I meant put the sponge in as the yeast in the correct order.  So if the yeast goes at the top, that where you would put the sponge.  If the yeast goes in somewhere in the middle, that's where you would put the sponge...that's all

perpetua:

--- Quote from: PastryGoddess on November 04, 2013, 02:03:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: perpetua on November 04, 2013, 06:10:46 AM ---
--- Quote from: veryfluffy on November 04, 2013, 05:47:41 AM ---The recipe you used is essentially the ordinary bread recipe, but using gluten-free flour...I have a feeling the breadmaker people were being clueless.

Here's a breadmaker recipe on the website of the brand of gluten-free flour that I use:

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-white-bread-for-bread-machines

vinegar, lots of oil, eggs...etc. There is also a recipe for wholemeal.

--- End quote ---

Oh wow, that's totally different isn't it. No wonder it was so rubbish! I was just sticking to the advice that I found everywhere, ie, use the recipes in the breadmaker book first.

So if I use this recipe instead, should I still use the GF programme on the breadmaker, or just the normal loaf one?

I'll have to give it a whirl later, I'm out of GF flour after all the failed attempts so I need to go to Sainsbury's first and stock up.

PastryGoddess - in all the instructions for this breadmaker you add all the ingredients at the same time (although in the correct order), so there isn't a 'time to add the yeast'... now I'm even more confused :)

Ha, yes, it would make an excellent hand weight for my physio, that's a flippin' good point!

--- End quote ---

I meant put the sponge in as the yeast in the correct order.  So if the yeast goes at the top, that where you would put the sponge.  If the yeast goes in somewhere in the middle, that's where you would put the sponge...that's all

--- End quote ---

Ah, I see - thanks, that makes sense now!

perpetua:
It worked! This is the recipe from the Doves Farm site, as posted by veryfluffy.

It's a little bit sweeter than normal bread and the crust is quite short - not unlike a less sweet apple pie crust actually - but it's tasty and smells delicious! It rose and everything!

It's a bit too heavy (not overly so though) because I kept thinking 'this doesn't look like dough' and adding more flour, until I found out half way through mixing that it's supposed to look like pancake batter, not a dough ball like normal bread. Duh.

I'm a little bit worried about the egg whites in it because i'm slightly intolerant to them - they give me horrid tummy ache (I'm OK with cake though, so perhaps it'll be ok) - so now I know it works I might experiment with just the yolks next time. Any ideas how that might affect it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version