Author Topic: Vegetarian Main Dish for XMAS Dinner - one more question and I have my menu  (Read 1270 times)

NyaChan

Re: Vegetarian Main Dish for XMAS Dinner
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
I actually fell in love with making a big portobello cap with a layer of cooked spinach, marinara, and then mozzarella cheese.  So yummy!

Can you please tell me how to do this?  Like how hot for the oven and how long to bake?  Thanks!

Sure!  Here is the original link I found:  http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cheese_spinach_stuffed_portobellos.html

I made some changes when I made it for myself though - I left out the ricotta and olives, cooked the spinach with garlic/salt/pepper instead of the Italian seasoning and then used the cheese I had on hand.  I think it would taste good as is though - very forgiving type of recipe.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
I made soufflés once. They're not as hard as people think, you just need to be careful about stirring them too much.

POF

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »
OK - I think this is what will do ..... ( based on some family input )

Appetizers - cheese plate and assorted dips
Mains -  homemade manicotti ( I make my own shells for this ) - these are cheese filled and vegetarian.
              homemade cannelloni - meat version of the manicotti
              Chicken marsala - for the low carbers :)
              Antipasto salad ( veggie friendly on one half - meaty on the other ( i use 2 trays though )
              Sauteed veggies, Bread etc.
Dessets - SIL's bring that.

Has anyone tried to use portabella mushrooms with Marsala Sauce ?  I'd like to have one more choice for neice. 

Zizi-K

Re: Vegetarian Main Dish for XMAS Dinner - one more question and I have my menu
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »
I just did a quick google search for "vegetarian marsala", and it looks like if you use a veggie broth instead of a chicken one, you can make the sauce vegetarian no problem. Mushrooms seem to be a natural pairing with marsala, but personally I think sliced portobellas would be more appealing than a whole one - more opportunity for browning, more sauce coverage, etc.

I should also say that niece will eat very well with all the vegetarian things you're already planning, so I don't think you have to do the veg marsala, though I think it does sound delicious!

POF

Re: Vegetarian Main Dish for XMAS Dinner - one more question and I have my menu
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »
I just did a quick google search for "vegetarian marsala", and it looks like if you use a veggie broth instead of a chicken one, you can make the sauce vegetarian no problem. Mushrooms seem to be a natural pairing with marsala, but personally I think sliced portobellas would be more appealing than a whole one - more opportunity for browning, more sauce coverage, etc.

I should also say that niece will eat very well with all the vegetarian things you're already planning, so I don't think you have to do the veg marsala, though I think it does sound delicious!

Thanks  At other family gatherings, there always seems to be one main dish type thing for her - where there is a choice of 2 or 3 for everyone else. She's my fav ! and I like her to also have a choice ( plus - I get to try out some interesting things - I prefer vegetarian  food ! )

BigBadBetty

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »
OK - I think this is what will do ..... ( based on some family input )

Appetizers - cheese plate and assorted dips
Mains -  homemade manicotti ( I make my own shells for this ) - these are cheese filled and vegetarian.
              homemade cannelloni - meat version of the manicotti
              Chicken marsala - for the low carbers :)
              Antipasto salad ( veggie friendly on one half - meaty on the other ( i use 2 trays though )
              Sauteed veggies, Bread etc.
Dessets - SIL's bring that.

Has anyone tried to use portabella mushrooms with Marsala Sauce ?  I'd like to have one more choice for neice.

That sounds wonderful. I've done mushrooms (just regular ones) in a marsala sauce over pasta.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 11:24:07 AM »
Sure!  Here is the original link I found:  http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cheese_spinach_stuffed_portobellos.html

Thank you NyaChan. I hate cooking but I've been forcing myself to do it lately and this recipe looks nice and easy.