Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Chili Question

(1/4) > >>

EmmaJ.:
I just finished reading a great murder mystery "The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders" and the recipe for the chili is in the book.  Here is a link to the book which allows you a preview of the book, and you can see the recipe is in the preview.

http://www.amazon.com/The-27-Ingredient-Chili-Carne-Murders/dp/0440216419/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383572106&sr=8-1&keywords=27+ingredient+chili

Has anyone ever made this chili?  I really want to try it this weekend but had a couple questions.  She says "3 pounds chopped sirloin" - is that a sirloin steak diced into small pieces or is it sirloin hamburger meat?  And "grated orange peel" - she doesn't specify how much.  Would that be all the grated orange peel from one orange? 

readingchick:
I'm guessing sirloin hamburger meat, but that's just me. As for the grated orange peel, I have no idea....maybe start with a tablespoon and see if that'll do the trick?

Betelnut:
Not hamburger meat.  Shredded steak.  Um.

Luci:
I've had the sirloin chopped into tiny pieces in chili but do prefer it ground.

Don't know about the orange peel, but as large a recipe as that is, I agree 1T would be a good start. That's a teaspoon per pound of meat and with all the other stuff, it should brighten the dish without adding real orange flavor.

Please let us know. Thanks.

123sandy:
I would go with chopped sirloin not mince. Not sure about the orange peel, a teaspoon doesn't seem like much t such a large recipe, how much would you get from a whole orange?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version