Author Topic: Chili Question  (Read 1468 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Chili Question
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:29:13 AM »
Well, I finished making it last night and am pretty unimpressed.  The chili was okay, but with all the work and all the ingredients I was expecting more of a WOW! reaction.

I halved the recipe and it still made a boatload.  It may be my fault as I was halving the ingredients in my head instead of writing them down, but I ended up with a ton of meat and beans with very little liquid.  I had to add some beef stock just to be able to bring it to a simmer.

I didn't realize how many canned ingredients it called for - I try to limit those because of processing and the salt.  It has three times and much meat as beans and I like it to be the other way around.  So because it turned out pretty bland, I've got another pot of beans with fresh jalapeno slices cooking right now to add to the original mix.

So, all in all it turned out to be pretty mediocre chili.   :(

Thanks for letting us know.

I checked the author's residence because for me chopped would be finely diced. For DH's family chopped meat always referred to ground beef (hamburger meat). Pickard is from the mid west so I'm clueless on what exactly she used.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

cwm

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
Well, I finished making it last night and am pretty unimpressed.  The chili was okay, but with all the work and all the ingredients I was expecting more of a WOW! reaction.

I halved the recipe and it still made a boatload.  It may be my fault as I was halving the ingredients in my head instead of writing them down, but I ended up with a ton of meat and beans with very little liquid.  I had to add some beef stock just to be able to bring it to a simmer.

I didn't realize how many canned ingredients it called for - I try to limit those because of processing and the salt.  It has three times and much meat as beans and I like it to be the other way around.  So because it turned out pretty bland, I've got another pot of beans with fresh jalapeno slices cooking right now to add to the original mix.

So, all in all it turned out to be pretty mediocre chili.   :(

Thanks for letting us know.

I checked the author's residence because for me chopped would be finely diced. For DH's family chopped meat always referred to ground beef (hamburger meat). Pickard is from the mid west so I'm clueless on what exactly she used.

I'm from the midwest, and I've seen both used, so it could well have been either. Or a mix of the two.

Chip2

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
Yes, I thought the baked beans was unusual too.  The whole recipe looks quirky enough to be fun to make!  I'll give it a try this weekend but will probably cut the amounts in half. 

One review I found said "makes enough to serve 30 people two bowls each".  Yikes!

I've normally use a can of kidney beans and a can of black beans in my chili, but in emergencies I've had to go with can of pork and beans or even barbecue beans. Both worked!