News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 02:18:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fill out your thank you envelope?  (Read 16219 times)

jaxsue

Re: Fill out your thank you envelope?
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
Someone in a PP mentioned that invitations are often done via text nowadays. That's true. Interestingly, however, the only times I've been asked to address the envelope for the GOH were in the pre-internet days. And, when I think about it, those showers were full of etiquette misfires!

Yvaine

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2013, 10:36:55 AM »
Speaking of etiquette misfires at showers, I've played the "do you have (random object) in your purse" game at several showers over the years and enjoyed it--it's always funny to see who turns out to have a flashlight or a shoe or whatever, and it sure beats mashing chocolate into a diaper. But a year or two ago, I heard that this game was actually supposed to get guests to open their purses as a hinthinthint to take out cash to give to the GOH. Is that the case in other people's experience? If so, how does it work? Do people just...go up and give her cash randomly? Does someone pass a hat? If anyone did give money as a result of this game in my presence, it was super subtle and I missed it. Or perhaps it's something that's done innocently by some people, and with an ulterior motive by others.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
Speaking of etiquette misfires at showers, I've played the "do you have (random object) in your purse" game at several showers over the years and enjoyed it--it's always funny to see who turns out to have a flashlight or a shoe or whatever, and it sure beats mashing chocolate into a diaper. But a year or two ago, I heard that this game was actually supposed to get guests to open their purses as a hinthinthint to take out cash to give to the GOH. Is that the case in other people's experience? If so, how does it work? Do people just...go up and give her cash randomly? Does someone pass a hat? If anyone did give money as a result of this game in my presence, it was super subtle and I missed it. Or perhaps it's something that's done innocently by some people, and with an ulterior motive by others.

We played a variation on this game, everyone one was given lists with associated points (like 1 point for a checkbook, 3 points for a USB drive), and then talleyed up their points. All the games were like this, very passive. Anyways, I don't believe anyone went up and gave GOH cash. That'd weird.

TootsNYC

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »

Never!

I don't even know how that would possibly work. "Oh, here's a twenty?"

I think the person who told you that was making stuff up.

Lynn2000

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »
Unless the last item called out was a twenty dollar bill, and then the hostess segued into the wishing well or something...  :P
~Lynn2000