Author Topic: The Anti-Snowflake Thread  (Read 5491 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
The Anti-Snowflake Thread
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
After thousands of missives bewailing the selfish Special Snowflakes that we run across, I think we need a thread for the NICE things that people do for us, just because we're there and could use a bit of a hand.

One was this afternoon.  DH's pickup bed was littered with wet leaves; he thought they would blow away when we got up on the highway, but most of them didn't.  When we got to the Home Depot parking lot, we were trying to remove them without actually getting in the truck.  The lady parked next to us noticed me poking them with my cane, and offered us the use of the broom that she had in her pickup. :)  Of course we thanked her; the leaves departed in a few seconds, and we replaced the broom in her pickup.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: The Anti-Snowflake Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
Oooh, ooh, I have one, from the othe day.

The gentleman in Costco, who, when I got in line behind him, told me to go ahead of him. Mind you, I only had 4 items, but he didn't have many more than that, so it was a nice gesture! I will try and do that too if someone gets in line behind me, with one or two items (since most supermarkets near me have all but done away with express lanes, and only have a couple with cashiers, and the rest self-scan)

Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »
When I went to the gym yesterday I had my bag in my left hand and DS on my right hip. As I got to the door a young man popped out and held it open for me. Then he held open the inner door. After a nod to acknowledge my thanks, he hurried off to whatever he'd been about to do before he saw me hurrying up the sidewalk in the light snow.

Emmy

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
There are a lot of non-snowflakes out there. 

A blind man got on a bus I was riding, everybody made sure he and his dog had ample room, and he was immediately offered a seat.

DD1 who is 2 was throwing a fit as I was carrying her out of the library yesterday.  On top of that, I was also carrying DD2 who was in a car seat.  Instead of giving me a dirty look, a huffy sigh, or a snicker, a woman gave me a sympathetic smile and said "I know what you are going through, I have been there".  That really helped.

I have noticed that many people are good about holding doors for others, even if they have to wait a few seconds for the person to reach the door.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:26:24 AM »
The shop where I usually buy milk is a few doors down from a hospital and medical office complex.  As a result, there are always people with walkers, crutches and casts.  Everyone is very good about making way, opening doors and helping others.  Even the High School students are usually thoughtful. 

There are many, many anti-snowflakes out there. 

Sanity Lost

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:10:22 PM »
My little Miss (DD who isn't quite 2), we had to wait a bit for lunch and she just sat in her seat quietly singing to herself until her food came. The ladies in the next booth complimented us on how quiet and sweet she was  ;D

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
At my new job at a Wendy's, where one of my jobs is cleaning up the dining room area, I occasionally work a shift when the school kids stop in for lunch, and this group of kids are very polite, and clean up after themselves, not only that, one of them surprised me and asked if I was new there, and when I said yes, he gave me thumbs up and said "good job", and not sarcastic either!

Cherry91

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
I was out on the town a few months ago, and it had been raining quite heavily. I hadn't drank that much, and I was in flat boots, but I am not graceful, so I slipped and very nearly fell upon my behind. Only quick thinking kept me upright.

The boys walking behind me saw everything, and instead of mocking me like I was expecting, they called over to me to ask if I was alright. Being pleased at their niceness to ask distracted me from my embarrassment.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7ZgXz_YLc

A first grader had a brain hemorrhage when he was born and has speech problems. He also likes to wear ties to school. He was being teased and bullied. The 5th grade football team found out and showed up in ties to show their support of him.

People in the world are good - the bad ones make the news because they differ from the norm.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mergatroyd

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
I love this thread already.  :-*

andi

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »
The nice man at Walmart yesterday who saw me wreskng with umbrella and bags in the nasty rain and took my cart to the corral

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 10:11:48 AM »
We recently joined a new church, and they had their yearly church meal yesterday.  During the meal, one of the elders asked my husband if, since we'd just moved to the area over the summer, we had a place to go for Thanksgiving.  If we didn't, he and his wife would love to have us to their house for Thanksgiving.

Keep in mind that this is Sunday, with Thanksgiving just 4 days away (it had probably just occurred to them).  He and his wife were willing to do all of the necessary scrambling to manage to fit 6 extra people around their table for Thanksgiving and feed them, if we hadn't had anyplace we were planning to go.  Now *that* is hospitality!  (We were thankful but declined, as we do actually have family not too far away and our Thanksgiving and weekend are booked).

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
A couple of months ago I went to the boston vs Colorado baseball game. Last one of the season and my dad and I were excited to see our favorite team. Inbetween innings I went to the store in coors field and was waiting inline to buy shirts for me and my dad. A random Rockies fan I had never met before came up to me, the only fan inline for the other team, and gave me 28$ on his season pass card that was left. I basically got a tee shirt for free and I was really surprised and it felt nice that he did that.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
We went out to eat Saturday, and the poor waitress spilled two cokes and a water all over herself and two other tables. She was almost in tears, but nobody got upset, they just all pitched in to help clean up, and told her not to worry about it.

I hope her day got a little better.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7ZgXz_YLc

A first grader had a brain hemorrhage when he was born and has speech problems. He also likes to wear ties to school. He was being teased and bullied. The 5th grade football team found out and showed up in ties to show their support of him.

People in the world are good - the bad ones make the news because they differ from the norm.

This video brought tears to my eyes. I agree with you that people are mostly good.

Thanks, Elfmama, for starting this thread.