Author Topic: The Anti-Snowflake Thread  (Read 5213 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: The Anti-Snowflake Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
I have some of the nicest customers at the branch of the DMV where I work.  We get yelled at on occasion, hey, it goes with the job.  But this is the only branch I have ever worked at where other customers will stick up for us and defend us against the complainer.  That means so much.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »
Saw this at the light rail station:  There were two young adults in line behind me, a man and a woman.  The man got his ticket, and we chatted for a few moments while the woman was trying to get the machine to take her $1 bills.  At that moment a train pulled into the station, and the man asked the woman if that was her train; if so, she could take his ticket since he already had it, and she could pay him.  She thanked him but said that wasn't her train, and she could pay for her ticket other ways since the machine was being so stubborn.  (It was, too; it wouldn't take my cash, either, so I ended up paying for it with a credit card.) 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 09:49:46 PM »

I was checking out at the self check out. The guy behind me had his machine lock up, we will call him Dad. The attendant looked in the bags and oh it was just the baby formula and unlocked the machine.

Dad says whats wrong the formula. Attendant trying to be polite says oh it just has a scanner trip in it.

Dad breaks down - up shot they just had a baby 6 weeks ago, their plan was for Mom to BF, but mom can't stop throwing up. The baby is hungry, they are afraid to expose baby to Mom. SO he is in the store trying to figure out baby formula, and get the usual tummy flu stuff you get for Mom - but mom is home alone with the baby.

There is a nasty tummy bug going around, my sister has never had so many Peds patients on her client list. The manager and pharmacist came over and were helping him find an urgent care place that takes their insurance. Urging him to take her in because this is  a nasty bug.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 09:50:06 PM »
I teach at a Title I school. That means most of our students are at or below the poverty level. We had a food drive. My students set a goal, and if they met it they got 10 minutes of extra recess. They brought in 90 items. School wide our kids brought in 1,800 food items.

There was also a drive for personal care items for veterans who are hospitalized over the holidays. They needed a pickup truck to pack all the boxes of items in to take to the VFW who was coordinating the drive.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 10:22:50 PM »
I have an awesome one from today.

I had to stop at the dollarstore today, which is right next to a coffee shop.  I had Little Knit with me.  I pulled her out of the car and bundled her all up in my arms because it's -1 million degrees out right now and made a quick dash to the door.

As I got to the door of the dollarstore, two gentlemen (and I do not use that term lightly) came out of the coffee shop.  One of them sprinted over to the dollarstore door JUST to hold it open for me.  He did not come in to the store and turned around and went back the other way to the parking lot after holding the door for me.

It was so wonderful and made me feel so good.  I was sure to thank him.  Little Knit said thank you, too.  :D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 09:53:54 AM »
On a recent cruise I was a pick-up member of a trivia team.  The other members were from the UK and needed an American.  I'm not a Brainiac by any means but I could provide the names of the five boroughs of NYC, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz's last name, where Grolsch beer is brewed and the two nations with 'X' in their names.   

We weren't all that good but we did manage to win three times and make it into the play-offs twice. 

At the end of the last trivia event, I was touched that my teammates presented me with a very pretty star pendant in a little silk bag.  They explained that they could never have gotten as far as they did without me. 

There was no need for them to do this but it was a reminder that people are just kind and nice. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
On a recent cruise I was a pick-up member of a trivia team.  The other members were from the UK and needed an American.  I'm not a Brainiac by any means but I could provide the names of the five boroughs of NYC, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz's last name, where Grolsch beer is brewed and the two nations with 'X' in their names.   

We weren't all that good but we did manage to win three times and make it into the play-offs twice. 

At the end of the last trivia event, I was touched that my teammates presented me with a very pretty star pendant in a little silk bag.  They explained that they could never have gotten as far as they did without me. 

There was no need for them to do this but it was a reminder that people are just kind and nice.

This sounds like a lot of fun!  And, out of curiosity, what is the other nation with an 'X' in its name?  I can only think of Mexico.  Well, and "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan..." keeps coming to my mind, but I don't think Xanadu is a nation.  :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »
I do notice a lot of people hold doors and I do too. It is the small gestures that can turn around a bad day.  :)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
Yesterday, after I finished an interview, I was trying to get all my stuff in order (pad of paper, resume and reference copies, purse, coat, etc), and asked a gentleman in a wheelchair if he minded me using the bench directly in front of him to organize myself.  I chatted with him about the weather and such while I was doing that, and when I was finished, I wished him a good day.  He smiled at me and said, "Have a lovely weekend and happy holidays to you and your family!".  What a sweet guy - he totally made my day! :D

dawnfire

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »

This sounds like a lot of fun!  And, out of curiosity, what is the other nation with an 'X' in its name?  I can only think of Mexico.  Well, and "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan..." keeps coming to my mind, but I don't think Xanadu is a nation.  :)

xanadu was/is a place in Mongolia

peach2play

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 05:30:09 PM »
I hope this thread makes it to more pages than the snowflake thread!  99% of the world does good things.  We remember the 1% who are bad because they are so different.  I had a flurry of anti snowflakes  (maybe a flurry of sun sparkles) at my Thanksgiving dinner.  Everyone kept offering to help cook or clean.  Everyone cleaned up after themselves and others and we all had a wonderful dinner.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »

Luxembourg is the other nation with 'X' in it's name. 

Emmy

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »
DH and I recently moved half way across the country when I was 8 months pregnant.  We moved in our house and the movers weren't able to bring our furniture for a few weeks.  Basically since we flew out, all our stuff was to be brought on the moving van.  We had several people loan us car tables, chairs, air mattresses, cooking gear, and toys for our 2 year old until we could get our stuff.  It was a lifesaver.

I got string tangled up in undercarriage of my car (we stupidly let DD1 play with the string in the garage and it got tangled underneath the car).  I was in the supermarket and 2 young men gathering the carts pointed it out to me.  Then they got on the ground and cut the string out, in the cold weather.

The Salvation Army guy at the local supermarket lets DD ring the bell.  It is nice and makes her happy.

Love these stories.  The snowflake thread is over 1600 pages long, so we need a little positivity to balance it out.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »
We recently joined a new church, and they had their yearly church meal yesterday.  During the meal, one of the elders asked my husband if, since we'd just moved to the area over the summer, we had a place to go for Thanksgiving.  If we didn't, he and his wife would love to have us to their house for Thanksgiving.

Keep in mind that this is Sunday, with Thanksgiving just 4 days away (it had probably just occurred to them).  He and his wife were willing to do all of the necessary scrambling to manage to fit 6 extra people around their table for Thanksgiving and feed them, if we hadn't had anyplace we were planning to go.  Now *that* is hospitality!  (We were thankful but declined, as we do actually have family not too far away and our Thanksgiving and weekend are booked).

That is very sweet, and that kind of thing is what would keep me at a church, if the majority of the people who attend are that warm and welcoming. :)

My story is from today.  Due to backed up traffic it took me about 40 minutes to make a 10 minute drive and the little guy had fallen fast asleep in his car seat.  I had my purse, reusable grocery bags, and him all in my arms and while I did manage to get a cart free one handed, it was very nice once I actually got into the store, a lady offered to help me in getting things organized.  As it turned out I managed alright but I thanked her for offering. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
Unfortunately, this thread will never reach the length of SS thread because most people ARE kind and thoughtful.

Every day most of us experience small acts of kindness and grace.  We acknowledge them with a smile or a 'thank you' but they don't stick in our minds the way SS behavior does. 

It's sad, in a way, but that's life.