Author Topic: The Anti-Snowflake Thread  (Read 5217 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: The Anti-Snowflake Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »
We were all out shovelling our driveways this morning.  Across the street neighbour broke his shovel; other across the street neighbour offered to lend him one before I could.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
DH was smoking bacon yesterday in front of our garage and one of the neighbors came over. He is a chef and was asking DH all sorts of questions about the bacon. Makes me happy as DH is under appreciated as a whole.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:27 AM »
The entire audience at the performance of The Nutcracker I attended last night. I normally can't stand going to shows, movies, etc. beacuse of the plethors of SSs I always seem to encounter. This was a smaller theater, and even though there wre many kids there, there were no incidences of bad or boorish behavior.

The cutest was the group in front of us. Mom, dad, son, Grandma and another mom and her daughter. I think the kids were friends, and about 5 or so? Both dressed up, looking adorable. Neither one moved during the entire first half. The little byoy got a bit fidgety during the second half, but was quiet.

There were several teens behind me, who initially were chatting at the start, but I just turned around and looked at them, and not a peep after.

MissRose

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »
With the recent snow, my dad used the snow blower attachment with the tractor to clear the driveway of the  next door neighbor lady who lives alone and works retail.  She is always appreciative of the efforts.

heartmug

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 02:27:55 PM »
I can't get a response from a relative as to when, or if, they are coming for the holidays.  I mean no response, no Christmas card, nada, yet they are on facebook.  Giving up, I got a Christmas card from another relative with the nicest note reminding me about something I did for them earlier this year (which I had forgotten about) and thanking me again for my time and effort.  I needed that!
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

littlebird

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
My sister lives in Ohio, and she's the one who always picks up her son from daycare (her DH works in a different town). After a recent snowstorm, she came home trying to figure out how she was going to watch the baby and shovel the sidewalk since my BiL was working nights (they're both doctors). Lo and behold, one of their neighbors had shoveled the sidewalk and driveway for her!

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »
Ran into 2 today while shopping:

First one was another customer.  My sister and I were trying to get a bottle of spiced rum (for taking to Christmas) and it was on the top shelf way at the back.  I said something about being too short to reach and the guy standing next to us said he was tall and what did we need.

Second was an employee who was rounding up carts in the parking lot.  I had just started unloading my cart into my truck and he ran over and offered to help.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 12:29:32 AM »
I had someone point out that my tire was low and took the time to show me how to add air. I know this is something I should know anyway, but no one ever did explain how easy it is.  Mind you, I can change my own tires. Which brings me to, all three times I've needed to change my tires unexpectedly I've had people stop to help.  Which I was very grateful for as it goes so much quicker with help.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 01:01:37 AM »
My tire went flat (at home) the other day, and my husband pointed out that I could refill it with the bicycle pump.  I had *never* thought about that.  I'd always refilled tires at gas stations with those air pumps.  So handy to know!  Very kind of somebody to show you.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 08:14:51 AM »
We have a 10 lb air compressor for using to inflate tires, sport balls, etc.

I think this is an iffy one, but in the Wal-mart we went to Saturday, the bathroom stalls had the negative graffiti removed and instead there were sayings like "Smile because you are beautiful" and "Make the day count". It made me smile.

Jones

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 10:57:31 PM »
This morning, very early, I had to stop at the gas station before work. As I headed to the door I saw an older man coughing, carrying a propane tank (the type that comes standard with a barbeque). He seemed to have some struggle with carrying the tank in one hand and covering his cough with the other. Anyway, he got to the door before me, put down the tank and held the door open for me so I could go through first. All I could do was say a surprised "Thank you!" There was no way I thought he'd even have noticed me headed there while dealing with his own issues.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 01:35:14 AM »
I mentioned this in another thread, but in this season, it bears repeating. Today I went to the post office, and not surprisingly, the line was long. Most of us passed the time by packing those priority mail boxes and filling in address labels.

I ran out of tape, and the woman in front of me loaned me her roll. Then the woman behind me forgot her pen, so I loaned her my permanent marker. She, in turn, helped a gentlemen figure out the flat rate boxes vs the boxes available for purchase there. Then an elderly woman came in, holding only a slip to pick up a package. The four of us waved her passed us, and without her asking a soul, every single person ahead of us invited her to step in front of them.

cwm

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »
At the post office last night, there was a couple that brought in wrapped Christmas presents. The second they got in line, they got to business getting boxes out of the area (none in the self-serve in the lobby) and boxing everything up, writing addresses, etc. but they weren't done by the time they reached the front of the line. They kept waving people forward past them as they finished writing everything out. I asked to borrow their clear tape (the only tape they had on sale was brown, and I had to tape on a paper mailing label) and they let me graciously, and they finished right as I was at the front of the line. I let them go ahead of me and they were so thankful for it, but they had been polite enough to not hold up the line while they were working.

The line was out into the lobby and starting to circle around and there were only two men working the counter, but the line moved quickly and the only frustration I experienced was a mother and her three small children. The kids were getting antsy and she seemed annoyed with them, but didn't take it out on anyone, just told them to cut it out, and if they behaved they'd be out of there sooner. The kids quieted right down and played among themselves.

The grocery store was another madhouse, but everyone without fail that I encountered was polite and relaxed.

Did I step into an alternate world where it's not less than a week before Christmas?

andi

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »
All the people in line at the Lego store this afternoon.

Their computer went down so all transactions were having to be done by hand with the old imprint/swipe machine. They had one employee walking the line every few minutes explaining the situation and offering to hold people's purchases at the counter while they waited. We were in line almost 45 minutes chatting with people in front and behind us - kids were making "people" and looking around and I didn't hear anyone complain or be ugly.

Amara

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »
(1)  The woman working at the post office this morning. An incredible bundle of joy and smiles and good wishes. She must have infected everyone in line because there was no grumbling; not a snowflake to be seen.

(2) Anyone who may have also been shopping at the paper supply store where I got a couple of gift boxes this morning--and left behind one of the LL Bean shirts I got for Mom. I got home, saw it was missing, and panicked. A quick call to the very nice woman there and she found it. (She sounded amazed it was still there.) I will pick it up Monday morning.