Author Topic: The Anti-Snowflake Thread  (Read 5215 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: The Anti-Snowflake Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2013, 04:08:58 PM »
DH and I went to the Lion King musical last night and we were very surprised at the good behaviour of the children around us. It's a family show, so we expected children and maybe some problems. But aside from a a few things before the show (one child talking who didn't continue, one child kicking her seat bug stopped when I turned around once and was told by her mother to sit still) it went great. There were a few babies that had to be taken out, which made me wonder about them being kept up late as the show went until 11.

But I'm pleased that so many children were taught good theatre manners.

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
A prior poster mentioned an alternative universe, and I'm wondering the same thing; I've not met one grouchy person (well, I've been, but I've tried to be nice and courteous to others)

I had the nicest man talk to me in line one morning. Nothing in particular, but he just made my day. :) I've noticed that people are looking me in the eye more and smiling. I really like that, as I try to make eye contact and smile--it's been a nice season--
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »
Nutcracker performance and tea This takes place in the dance studio.

Only one girl maybe 2 or 3 misbehaved. She got bored right towards the end (maybe 5 minutes left) and started climbing on barre which was right behind my seat. Dad removed her and passed her to the furthest person at their table. She kept coming back. Dad Kept handing her back but there was no noise. (Because of the set up in the dance studio him walking her out would have meant walking through the stage during a time with many dancers entering and exiting. )

A toddler won the nutcracker they raffle and her older brothers were so excited for her.

Brett (who is 6) was nutcrackered out (The company does 10 performances. Loren is Junior cast and this was the 3rd of her 5 performances. Due to timing, school and work schedules he had been at the previous 2 also. The last two sis and BIL traded off one going to the performance the other staying with Brett. ). He politely asked if he could go "watch upstairs". Which meant go play with his beyblades in is Nanna's office.

Loren joined our table after her part was over (It is ok if you don't have multiple dances). Afterwards her friends took their programs around and got autographs from the students and the professional dancers that were helping out.

Her friends wanted to have a play date but were polite when Sis explained Loren had 1 hour to go get something to eat and be back for the evening performance.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2013, 06:23:35 AM »
I have to say that over the course of a day i usually meet more anti snowflakes than snowflakes. Of course, it's always the snowflakes who stick in our mind.

For me - we had a terrible and unusual storm here last week - we had stormy weather for a few days followed by two days of almost non stop snow. thousands of homes were without power, some also without gas/water. (in addition to damages caused by trees falling). public transportation shut down partially/completely for a few days and people were advised not to drive. it was a mess - sidewalks were covered with snow that turned to ice, interspersed with broken trees so a lot of us resorted to walking in the street/crossing not where we should.

Usually, drivers are, shall we say, not overly polite to pedestrians. this time, however, drivers have been patient, alert, careful not to splash pedestrians, offered rides to strangers, etc. I had a driver who saw me trying to cross the street (where i shouldn't have crossed, but i couldn't cross at the cross walk due to ice) and stopped and waved me across. it was quite an amazing experience.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

o_gal

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »
Last night we went to Clifton Mill, which is a holiday tourist attraction. It's a working grist mill, built in the 1800's, where you can get absolutely fabulous breakfast and lunch. You can tour it and also buy their pancake mixes, flour, corn meal, etc. At Christmas time, they light it up with 35 million lights all over the mill and the surrounding gorge. There's also a miniature village with lights and trains which is awesome and would take a whole post to describe. About 5 years ago, they jumped on the bandwagon and developed a light show on the covered bridge set to TSO's "Wizards in Winter". Huge tourist attraction and very, very popular.

They open at 5pm and turn the lights on at 6pm. We got up there about 5:20 in order to get a good parking spot in town, and to see the 5000+ Santa collection before it got crowded. Then we wandered around looking at the other non-lit stuff, including a room with a superb antique toy collection. With about 20 minutes left to the big turn-on, we parked our butts along the split rail fence to wait.

As we waited it out, the area became more and more crowded. Lots of families started arriving and taking places along the fence, which has the best view of the covered bridge show. Then after all the fence spots were taken, the crowd deepened - you could still see but not everything down into the gorge. After a while, I noticed a family that was behind us. They had a little boy, probably about 4 or 5 years old, who was up on Dad's shoulders. The slightly older daughter was in front of Mom, behind me. She was crying, and from I can understand, she was upset that they didn't get a spot on the fence. I couldn't hear all of their conversation but I know that was one of the things she was upset about.

But instead of asking me (who is 5'8" tall) or my DH (who is 6'8" tall) to move to allow her to get a spot on the fence, I heard the Mom tell her that she was sorry, but they didn't arrive early enough to get a good spot. I wonder if the little girl made them later than usual getting there, and Mom was just letting her know the consequences of her actions. I felt sorry for the little girl, but was very impressed with the Mom.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
We just got more snow after a heavy ice storm on the weekend.  We got about 2" accumulation this morning.  It's very pretty and fluffy.

I need to leave the house in 20 minutes to catch the bus downtown to meet Mr K at work (riding the bus is a special treat for LK, as is meeting daddy at work, and so she's running around the house screaming "Go see daddy, go see daddy!  Ride da bus!  Go see daddy!").  I planned on clearing the snow when we got home.

Suddenly I heard scrape scrape scrape outside.  Our neighbour is shovelling our sidewalk.

I think I will make cookies this afternoon.  :)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
Costco last night was insanely full but incredibly pleasant. People said excuse me, patiently waited their turns, told their children to stay out of the way, etc. I overheard one couple discussing the fact that the store was out of the one item they had come for. They politely asked an employee if there was anymore in the back and when the answer was no, they shrugged and said that's what they got for waiting until the last minute! Just when I thought I had used up all the good Costco luck, I hit the check out lanes. I approached it with my 3 items and a gentleman with a very full cart waved me over and in front of him. He then did that with two more people carrying only one or two items.

emwithme

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
I did my main Christmas food shop yesterday.  My "normal" supermarket didn't have one item, so I went to the "nicer" supermarket, because I was sure they would have it*

The second supermarket was quite busy, but everyone was being polite (lots of "excuse me"s and "after you"s) which was a complete shock after the first supermarket, but what stood out most to me were two interactions I had/overheard involving young girls.

In the cheese aisle, one girl aged about six was standing holding the trolley just next to where I wanted to be.  I said "excuse me" and leaned over her trolley to reach my item.  She pulled the trolley backwards and said "I'm sorry to be in your way" and smiled.  I smiled back and said she wasn't.

In a different aisle, I overheard a different girl and her mum talking:

Little Girl, aged about 8 or 9: "Have we got a present for Mr Next Door" (she actually called him that)
Mum: "Yes, it's all wrapped up.  Would you like to take it round later"
LG: "Yes please.  I think he might need a hug too".

I *soooo* wish I could afford to shop at Waitrose all the time. 

*I wanted a small amount of grana padano to put on a risotto.  I usually shop at Morrisons, which doesn't stock it, but knew that Waitrose would

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »
This thread is a great idea because it helps us become aware of the kindness and good behavior of others that we might not ordinarily notice. 

Reader

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »
My new guy and I had to run to the store on Christmas Day.  While I ran in, he waited in the car and was busy filling up his zippo lighter.  When I got back to his truck, he was walking up to it.  When I looked at him questionally, he let me know he had given the man standing at the edge of the parking lot his old zippo lighter that he had in his glove box.  D said he looked like he could use cheering up.  D got a big kiss, and his favorite pie later after dinner.