Author Topic: This kid was raised right  (Read 994 times)

The Wild One, Forever

This kid was raised right
« on: June 27, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »
It has been a difficult couple of years for my son.  Many things have happened beyond his control, and he has also made some poor life choices.  Since spring, he seems to be improving by challenging himself and shining his light, but he has terrible social anxiety, so sometimes, this is hard for him.  Because of this, I was delighted when he decided to join the cross country team at school, because he needs a sport on his record for his college applications, but mainly because he was putting himself out there to try something new.

Monday was the first day of conditioning, and he was nervous that he would be the slowest or weakest person on the team.  (He has been running every night, and pushing himself, but years of inactivity can't be erased all at once.)  Sure enough, he ran with the pack for a mile or so, then began to fall behind.  Well, when his friend Dan, who is a star on the team, realized what was happening, he fell back and ran with my son, to keep him company and encourage him.  For a long time, I have known that Dan was a really nice kid, but wow...that is really some compassion and good friendship, not to mention the sign of a being a great teammate. 

Dan's act of kindness means more than he will probably ever know.  Both to the boy he helped to spur on, and to that boy's mother.  The two boys have been hanging out quite a bit this summer, and I want to encourage that.   Also, one of these days I want to tell his parents what a fantastic kid they raised.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: This kid was raised right
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »
He does sound like a good one. I think you should tell his parents! That will make them happy, and who doesn't want to spread happiness around, right?

:)

And I am glad that your son is getting a little out of his comfort zone. I can relate to the anxiety issues. The fact that he's getting out there and doing it is huge! Good for him!  :)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »
He does sound like a good one. I think you should tell his parents! That will make them happy, and who doesn't want to spread happiness around, right?

:)

And I am glad that your son is getting a little out of his comfort zone. I can relate to the anxiety issues. The fact that he's getting out there and doing it is huge! Good for him!  :)

;D ;D ;D  Thanks and I agree!  The best times in my life have been when I have forced myself out of my comfort zone and done something positive and different.  The kid is getting this, slowly but surely.    ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Coralreef

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
As a parent, I can agree that being told your kid is doing something good/awesome/generous is very rewarding.  It's proof positive that we're doing something right, even if we goof from time to time.  I would call the parents and let them know.

And kuddos to your son on expanding his horizons and gaining a new skill. 

[/right

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »
What a kind-hearted friend your son has.  His parents must be very proud.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

imrowr

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »
Wild One,

I love hearing stories like this!  I had something similar happen to me a little over a year ago and, as one who has been on the receiving end of such kindness, I am quite aware how much that tiny gesture means to both you and your son. 

My story goes like this:  I had just started Crossfit after doing, literally, nothing all my life.  My endurance, as expected, was no good.  I hadn't even started trying to exercise before joining Crossfit.  I couldn't even run 200 meters in one go without having to stop and walk.  During one of the workouts, we had to run a half a mile (approximately 800 m) and I was taking forever because I kept having to stop and walk.  One of the better athletes (who now coaches at a different Crossfit gym) slowed down (mind you, this is all timed) and ran with me, encouraging me and giving me pointers on how I could make my running form better. And, without fail, I got better.  At my peak, I was able to run 5 or so miles non-stop with a 9 minute or so mile/minute pace.  I credit all of that to the guy who slowed down and ran with me that one time.  I try to "pay it forward" by encouraging others as much or more than this guy encouraged me.

I'm so glad to hear that your son is pushing outside of his comfort zone and that he has lovely friends that'll support him as he does so.  Thanks so much for sharing! :)

peach2play

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »
Go Dan! That is an awesome kid!