Author Topic: Shopping carts at Aldi's....  (Read 5270 times)

MrTango

Re: Shopping carts at Aldi's....
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »
You can choose at the register how you want to use the card, there are buttons on the machine or on-screen choices for 'Debit' and 'Credit' . There can be a limit imposed by the bank on how much you can process in a single transaction as a debit (I suppose to limit losses if it's stolen).

Edited for clarity.

Yes, I understand that - but how can one card operate presumably two accounts? Are both account details loaded onto the card somehow? How do the mechanics work?

A debit card here debits money from your current account.

A credit card adds the cost of the item onto a running balance which you then pay off at the end of the month (or whenever).

They're totally separate things.

Are they not, over there? Are they something different?

I have a "check card" from my bank that can be used as either a debit or credit (Visa) transaction.

When I choose to have it run as a debit card, I have to enter my PIN, and I'm usually given the option of requesting cash back.  The transaction shows up in my account statement and is labeled as a debit transaction.

When I choose to have it run as a Credit transaction, then from the store's perspective, it's as if I was using a Visa credit card.  If the amount of the transaction is above whatever threshhold is set by the store (and possibly part of their merchant agreement with Visa) I have to sign a receipt.  The transaction appears on my account statement and is labeled as a Visa transaction.

The advantage for me is that I can use the same card at any place that accepts Visa, and at any place that accepts debit cards (even if it doesn't accept Visa).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:42:35 PM by MrTango »

perpetua

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 04:45:22 PM »
You can choose at the register how you want to use the card, there are buttons on the machine or on-screen choices for 'Debit' and 'Credit' . There can be a limit imposed by the bank on how much you can process in a single transaction as a debit (I suppose to limit losses if it's stolen).

Edited for clarity.

Yes, I understand that - but how can one card operate presumably two accounts? Are both account details loaded onto the card somehow? How do the mechanics work?

A debit card here debits money from your current account.

A credit card adds the cost of the item onto a running balance which you then pay off at the end of the month (or whenever).

They're totally separate things.

Are they not, over there? Are they something different?

I have a "check card" from my bank that can be used as either a debit or credit (Visa) transaction.

When I choose to have it run as a debit card, I have to enter my PIN, and I'm usually given the option of requesting cash back.  The transaction shows up in my account statement and is labeled as a debit transaction.

When I choose to have it run as a Credit transaction, then from the store's perspective, it's as if I was using a Visa credit card.  If the amount of the transaction is above whatever threshhold is set by the store (and possibly part of their merchant agreement with Visa) I have to sign a receipt.  The transaction appears on my account statement and is labeled as a Visa transaction.

The advantage for me is that I can use the same card at any place that accepts Visa, and at any place that accepts debit cards (even if it doesn't accept Visa).

Right, yes, I see now. It's more about which channel the store uses to process the card rather than "are you paying for this now or putting it on your credit card".

A credit transaction isn't the same thing as 'putting something on your credit card', it seems!

MrTango

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »
A credit transaction isn't the same thing as 'putting something on your credit card', it seems!

That's it exactly. Sometimes, I'll say "go ahead and put it on my credit card" when I use my check card.  The merchant, who is simply running a transaction through Visa, has no way of knowing the difference between my check card and an actual credit card.  This is especially true for online transactions.

perpetua

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »

That's it exactly. Sometimes, I'll say "go ahead and put it on my credit card" when I use my check card.  The merchant, who is simply running a transaction through Visa, has no way of knowing the difference between my check card and an actual credit card.  This is especially true for online transactions.

Right, but that's just a figure of speech, yes? Because you're not actually 'putting it on your credit card', ie, adding the cost of that item to the balance on your credit card account? Because that would seem impossible using a debit card from your current account, hence my confusion. I mean, the account numbers are different and everything, yes?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 05:09:29 PM »

Right, but that's just a figure of speech, yes? Because you're not actually 'putting it on your credit card', ie, adding the cost of that item to the balance on your credit card account? Because that would seem impossible using a debit card from your current account, hence my confusion. I mean, the account numbers are different and everything, yes?

I have PayPal linked to my debit card/ATM card.  I also have it set up as a credit card on PayPal (as well as a couple of REAL credit cards).  The card is the same one that I can use at the ATM, at the counter with the teller, or at a store - it is just handled slightly differently (debit means I need to enter the PIN to authorize the payment and using it as a credit card means that I sign).  The money is out of my account without a monthly invoice from the banking institution - it is on my monthly statement.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MrTango

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »

Right.  Sometimes, putting something on the credit card literally means using a credit account to complete the transaction.  Other times, it just means to process a debit card as if it was a credit card (i.e. run my bank card through their computer as if it was a Visa card).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:22:37 PM by MrTango »

Wintergreen

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
I have a dual credit/debit card (living in Europe). It is basically two different cards in one plastic, up to the point that actually they have different card numbers, even if it is only one physical card. Credit side works as credit cards most often work: It will add the purchased sum to the credit account which is then billed from me afterwards. Debit side takes the money from the account which the card is tied to. Paying method is same for both, as it is chip card it will require the pin code for both sides (or if the merchant is having only outdated equipment, it can be done by swiping the magnetic stripe and signing).

What I would like most is "online" debit card but they are sometimes so durned slow to use that I just use debit. But I get irritated as the transaction does not show immediately on my account and then it's hassle to memorize/hunt receipts to check if all transactions are showing and how much I really have money left.

As around here all places have cart system like your Aldi's have, there are also market for key fobs which have removable coin-sized disc you can use to obtain shopping cart. They are life savers for those who rarely carry coins/cash on them! Flat washers may also work if they are right size, so you can make your own if they do not sell these there.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 10:15:08 AM »
I have a debit card, but I'm not sure I know my PIN.  So I wouldn't be able to use it unless I could figure out what my PIN is.  I use either credit or cash for most things, and I wouldn't necessarily have enough cash on me for a grocery trip unless I knew I needed it.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »
Early on, debit cards and credit cards were entirely separate things. Debit cards debited an account with existing money and credit cards were essentially a loan. And they still exist in those separate forms. But because they were logoed and processed by the same organizations (Visa and MasterCard), they started to mash them together. So a Visa-logoed debit card can be used in a pin transaction, or it can be used in a signature transaction. In both cases, the protections are less than they are if you use a true credit card, although Visa recently announced some changes in that way.

So, you really have three kinds of transaction:

Debit (with a debit card and pin)
Debit-as-credit (with a debit card and signature)
Credit (with a credit card and signature)

It's going to get even more interesting in the US as we switch our cards to chip-and-pin and away from signature.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain