Author Topic: Shopping carts at Aldi's....  (Read 3317 times)

MissRose

Shopping carts at Aldi's....
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »
I had to do one of my 2x a month grocery store runs for myself, and usually end up at Aldi's due to the low prices.  I make sure I have a quarter for the cart and you get it back after the cart is returned.  I also bring my own bags so I do not have to pay 10 cents a bag.  A woman was unloading her cart, then I offered a quarter and she took so she would not to walk the cart back.  On the way out as I didn't have a lot in my 2 bags, I saw someone fumbling for a quarter and offered my cart after removing items.  She didn't have the quarter and I let her have the cart anyway.  She said "you are too kind, not many out there, I insist you take this dollar instead for your kindness and i will not take no for answer." She gave me the dollar.   The dollar went into the collection plate the following Saturday evening with my normal offering at Mass.

Curious Cat

Re: Shopping carts at Aldi's....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
That was so sweet of her to give you a dollar for the cart!  How nice to be able to spread the wealth!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
Love that they recently opened an Aldi's near our house - hadn't seen one since we left Kentucky in 1998!  The local shoppers also walk up to other people with a quarter - or smaller change adding up to the same amount - to get their cart so they don't have to wrestle one out of the "stack" of chained carts at the front!

Ambrosia Hino had one open almost across from one of the other stores where we used to live (and she still does) after we left in 2005/2006. 

The only thing that I don't understand about Aldi's is all the people who walk in past the sign that they ONLY take cash and debit cards (to keep down prices) - no checks or credit cards.  And people will get to the front of the store with a FULL cart (prices really can be lower) and then pull out a credit card - because "they don't have that much cash on them" or they don't have a debit card (ATM card) with them...

Thirty-five years ago, when I was in college, their parents probably walked into fast food places and tried to order food with only a check or a credit card on them (before debit cards) - and fast food places took ONLY cash at the time.  I remember working at one in high school and another in college - they didn't take credit cards for YEARS!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:39:36 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

XRogue

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:10:42 AM »
Speaking as someone who has been a cashier at Walmart.....people just don't have follow through sometimes. As in, they know things work a certain way, but it doesn't process that hey, this means it applies to *me* too.

Like the time I had to explain to the nice lady that no, your food stamp card will *not* cover scented wax for your candle warmer. Because it isn't food. Without being allowed to use those words.  :o

And the lady at Aldi was awesome, and you are even more so, MissRose. :)

amylouky

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:07:47 AM »
I just spent $220 at Aldi's. That's actually kind of hard to do.  Love that place.

I had an opposite experience, after I put my groceries in the car, a guy came up to me and asked if I needed the cart.. I said no, he could have it, and he said Thanks, took it, and walked into the store. Didn't offer me a quarter.  >:(   I suppose I could have asked for it but hey, it's a quarter. Maybe it was his first time there.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »
I just spent $220 at Aldi's. That's actually kind of hard to do.  Love that place.

I had an opposite experience, after I put my groceries in the car, a guy came up to me and asked if I needed the cart.. I said no, he could have it, and he said Thanks, took it, and walked into the store. Didn't offer me a quarter.  >:(   I suppose I could have asked for it but hey, it's a quarter. Maybe it was his first time there.

Our closest Aldi is 150 miles away. We just so happened to be in that town a few weeks back. I said "tomatoes and chocolate and that's all." $135 later, we were loading the car up. It really is cheaper than anything I can get around here and the quality is just the same.

lilblu

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:16:14 PM »
I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread. There is an Aldi's in the neighboring city and my mom and I (me?) have been thinking about stopping in there to check it out. I had no idea until I read this thread that you have to pay for a cart and bags, and that they only take cash and debit cards. I'm not sure we would have noticed any signs about payment methods, but I guess that depends on how obvious they are. We don't carry much cash and neither one of us have a debit card. Since we both suffer from social anxiety, we find it so much easier to know these kinds of things before going someplace new. So this thread saved us from potential embarrassment.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »
I have found the prices to be about the same for equal quality, but there are a couple of things that keep me going back.  Their version of Velveeta is far superior to real Velveeta.  We call it Velveeta-ish on the grocery list.  They have these beer bratwurst's that are amazing.  DD is on a high-protein, high fat diet and those were a staple for awhile.  I still buy all they have when we infrequently go. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 02:08:34 PM »
You don't pay for the cart - you get the quarter back when you return it to the rack - but they want the carts returned to the rack, not blowing into the sides of vehicles or whatever.

If you let the kid return the cart (older kid) and keep the quarter - they seem to like "helping" more even when they don't get a quarter from the other grocery stores in town.

JoW

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »
Sorry to chime in so late, but Sophia needs to know -

To get a cart at Aldi it has to be a quarter.  2 dimes and a nickle won't work.  The quarter goes in a slot  on a lock box on the cart, releasing the chain holding it to the next cart in the line.  Your quarter stays in the lock box until the cart is put back and locked to the cart ahead of it. 

Aldi does that so they don't have to pay someone to go out in the parking lot to bring in the carts. 

The signs about payment are on the door as you enter the store. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »
They also don't have loose carts in the parking area because people take it back for the quarter.

Or hand the change to a person with an empty cart if they don't have a quarter - saves the person with the cart the trip back to the corral and the person with dimes & nickels from having to go in to GET a quarter from the cashier. 

If you have a kid old enough to take the cart back for you - they get to keep the quarter.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »
Aldi's is great. I like going there for produce.

katycoo

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »
I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread. There is an Aldi's in the neighboring city and my mom and I (me?) have been thinking about stopping in there to check it out. I had no idea until I read this thread that you have to pay for a cart and bags, and that they only take cash and debit cards. I'm not sure we would have noticed any signs about payment methods, but I guess that depends on how obvious they are. We don't carry much cash and neither one of us have a debit card. Since we both suffer from social anxiety, we find it so much easier to know these kinds of things before going someplace new. So this thread saved us from potential embarrassment.

How do you generally pay for things then?   The idea of people not having a debit card is quite foreign to me.  Everyone has them here.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »

How do you generally pay for things then?   The idea of people not having a debit card is quite foreign to me.  Everyone has them here.

I use credit cards almost exclusively.  I get points on both my cards that get me money off on purchases at a future date.  I rarely use cash or debit.  I don't carry a balance on my card - but I do get to keep the money in my account a little longer.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

katycoo

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »

I use credit cards almost exclusively.  I get points on both my cards that get me money off on purchases at a future date.  I rarely use cash or debit.  I don't carry a balance on my card - but I do get to keep the money in my account a little longer.

Sure - but you still HAVE a debit card, don't you?  The option is there, even if you prefer another method.