Author Topic: ideas for quick and easy meals  (Read 786 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
ideas for quick and easy meals
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:49:34 PM »
this came up on a different thread so let's post ideas for quick and easy meals - not made dehydrated food and hot water....

here are some of my ideas:

tunisian tuna salad/sandwiches
========================
on a big platter or in small bowls (big platter means less clean up!) prepare tuna with mayo, olives, sliced vegetables, some hot sauce/spread, hard boiled egg slices, preserved lemons, capers. everyone takes a bit of eat - either just eat on  a plate or pile into a roll or baguette. (to make these true tunisian tuna sandwiches, you need to prepare your own rolls and then FRY THEM instaed of baking.... I have never done that)

humous and pita
============
to prepare the houmous you blend a can of cooked chickpeas with a little water till it forms a paste, add some lemon juice, garlic, tahini paste, salt.
eat with pita and salad. can dip pita triangles in it.

easy pita pizza
============
slice a pita into two rounds, spread with ketchup, sprinkle with vegetables and cheese and bake till it gets all gooey.

shak-shoo-ka
===========
tasty israeli dish. don't ask me what it means because i have no idea. you make a spicy tomato sauce base: in a large shallow pot with cover, or large frying pan, fry 1-2 chopped onions till golden. add 4-5 peeled and chopped tomatoes or one can of chopped plum tomatoes, garlic, salt, hot paprika and one tablespoon of tom. paste. let it cook down for a bout 15 minutes (you can make this in advance to this point and also you can double this and put half of the sauce in the freezer). now take 1-2 eggs per person and gently break them onto the sauce, cover the pan, lower flame and let it cook about 5 more minutes or until the whites are white and the yolks are set. serve hot with lots of bread for dipping.

grilled cheese
===========
it's worthwhile investing in one of those toaster press things. i forget what they're called. you keep sliced bread and grated cheese in the freezer at all times. then - voila. put some ketchup on the bread, add cheese, add slices of vegetables - onion, mushroom, tomatoe - put together a quick salad and you have a meal.

gotta go! hope other people can add on to this.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools