Author Topic: S/O ghost story- Lost book help  (Read 2295 times)

A.P. Wulfric

S/O ghost story- Lost book help
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »
I know we have had topics like this before, but searching isn't working.

I have two books in my head that I can remember bit plot points, but nothing concrete.

One is a generic young adult book, perhaps along the lines of Judy Blume. Some girls are going to middle school, and start drifting a part. One of the girl's is named Rebecca, as there is a part about how she hates the name Becky until she gets to the school, and all the cool girls start with a B.  There is also a part on how the eccentric father and the brother have a race to see which way of eating corn (circular or like a type-writer) is faster.  Anyone?

The second is much more adult, and is very odd. I only remember bits and pieces-  a kid goes to college and wants to join this very select major-I think it's Ancient Greek.  The few students who are in it, plus the professor, are a weird sort of clique.  They finally accept him, and the students end up killing someone I think, all the basis of an experiment or a reliving a historical event or something.  Vague, but driving me nuts.

Psychopoesie

Re: S/O ghost story- Lost book help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
Is the second one Donna Tartt's The Secret History?

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:01:14 PM »
That was fast-yes, that's the one. I just re-read the summary, and it's just as odd as I recall. I also have no further desire to re-read it.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:12:50 PM »
Read it decades ago, probably when it was a new release. It was an unsettling book and left a lasting impression on me.

Can understand why it's not on your reread list.  :)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »
The Secret History's one of my favorites.  It *is* bizarre, though ...

Redwing

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »
Since you started the topic...

Several years ago I read a book about a woman who people would seek out to tell them why a certain song was running through their head.  You know, an ear worm.  They would come to her and tell her the song and she would analyze what was going on in their life that made the song stuck in their head.  It wasn't a great book, but I did like it.  Darned if I can remember the name.  Anyone?

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »
I really doubt that anyone will have read this book, because it was old when I read it back in the '60s. 

Book is set sometime before WWI (and I think was written then as well).  Family of girls. The oldest girl was Gail, and then after she was born, minister grandpa moved in with the family, and the next 4 girls all had "Virtues" as names: Faith, Hope, Charity, and Peace.  Grandpa died, and the lucky last girl had a "normal" name: Allyson.  The book starts after the death of both parents, and Gail is trying to hold the family together.

Peace is the main character, and she was a hoot.  Ten years old, and the kind of child that means well, but is impulsive and does harebrained things without thinking.  One part, she accidentally mixed rat poison in with the chicken feed.  Once she realized that she had killed half the flock, she sells the dead chickens to neighbors to make some money to buy new chickens.  All the girls have to run around getting the chickens back before anyone eats them so they won't be poisoned as well.

It was a great book, and I remember so much of it except the title and the author.  It really was aimed at a younger audience (kinda the YA market of 1915), and those books are hard to research. 

But just in case anyone remembers it.........
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

dawbs

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »
I really doubt that anyone will have read this book, because it was old when I read it back in the '60s. 

Book is set sometime before WWI (and I think was written then as well).  Family of girls. The oldest girl was Gail, and then after she was born, minister grandpa moved in with the family, and the next 4 girls all had "Virtues" as names: Faith, Hope, Charity, and Peace.  Grandpa died, and the lucky last girl had a "normal" name: Allyson.  The book starts after the death of both parents, and Gail is trying to hold the family together.

Peace is the main character, and she was a hoot.  Ten years old, and the kind of child that means well, but is impulsive and does harebrained things without thinking.  One part, she accidentally mixed rat poison in with the chicken feed.  Once she realized that she had killed half the flock, she sells the dead chickens to neighbors to make some money to buy new chickens.  All the girls have to run around getting the chickens back before anyone eats them so they won't be poisoned as well.

It was a great book, and I remember so much of it except the title and the author.  It really was aimed at a younger audience (kinda the YA market of 1915), and those books are hard to research. 

Longshot--I don't know if I read all of it, but it sounded familiar from one of the 'readers' I inherited as a child...
is this it?
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Brown-House-Ruth-Alberta/dp/B003YMMP4U

Nikko-chan

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
Chiming in with a few of my own mysteries for the wise ehellions to solve!

This first one had a lot of short stories. They told about a womans grandmother when she was little. One of them I remember she had diptheria, and another story was when the young girl got up early (this was back when everyone used woodstoves) she placed her clothes on the oven as her mother did to warm them, and then jumped in bed. Well, she missed the direction "On" and instead placed them "in" the oven. They all awoke to smoke and when the mother opened the oven it was to find her daughters clothes-- charred. Oooh just remembered a third story... the little girl made a cake for her mothers birthday, but instead of using sugar as the recipe intended, she added a bunch of salt accidentally. The childs mother ate every bite of her piece of cake, while everyone else spat theirs out.

I have a lot of details for the second one so i am going to try searching for it on my own first.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »

Longshot--I don't know if I read all of it, but it sounded familiar from one of the 'readers' I inherited as a child...
is this it?
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Brown-House-Ruth-Alberta/dp/B003YMMP4U

You are my hero!  When I saw the title, a literal chill ran through me.  That was it.  And now I'm off to regain my childhood.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

random numbers

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »
Deleted link as it was causing problems.  Sorry, folks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:46:21 PM by random numbers »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »
One I read when I was working at a small bookstore, so I know where on the shelf it was and that it was a trade-paper-sized hardback series with different earth tone colors for each book, but not what the titles or authors were  :P  I think the titles were one-word girls' names . . .

The book I picked up was about a girl who was raised in a religiously isolated appalachian community.  There is an accident involving her and another child (listening to the radio which was forbidden, maybe?) and the other child falls through the frozen lake and drowns.  The girl is put through some sort of ritual and kicked out of her community.  She walks until she runs into civilization and eventually ends up homeless, then in a foster home.  I remember one particular scene where she goes into a grocery store and buys a single banana and an old lady comments about how she always wanted to do that but was never brave enough to buy just one.

I think it was the first book in a series, but our bookstore didn't have the second book so I never got to read it.  I'd kinda like to go back and see how close the book was to how I remember it . . .

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
Ashes of Eden, maybe?

Beverly Lewis does a lot of Amish/Christian novels and short stories, but hers are usually set in Pennsylvania. There have been ones that involve tragedy and ostracizing and such though.

Amethyst

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »
Chiming in with a few of my own mysteries for the wise ehellions to solve!

This first one had a lot of short stories. They told about a womans grandmother when she was little. One of them I remember she had diptheria, and another story was when the young girl got up early (this was back when everyone used woodstoves) she placed her clothes on the oven as her mother did to warm them, and then jumped in bed. Well, she missed the direction "On" and instead placed them "in" the oven. They all awoke to smoke and when the mother opened the oven it was to find her daughters clothes-- charred. Oooh just remembered a third story... the little girl made a cake for her mothers birthday, but instead of using sugar as the recipe intended, she added a bunch of salt accidentally. The childs mother ate every bite of her piece of cake, while everyone else spat theirs out.

I have a lot of details for the second one so i am going to try searching for it on my own first.

Could that be part of the "Grandma's Attic" series? I remember reading those when I was little. Charming little childhood misadventure stories.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 01:31:41 AM »
The Secret History's one of my favorites.  It *is* bizarre, though ...

"The Secret History" is a favourite of mine too. But when I encouraged my mum to read it, she gave up halfway, claiming it was "too creepy" for her.