Author Topic: S/O ghost story- Lost book help  (Read 2711 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: S/O ghost story- Lost book help
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 06:02:56 AM »
Chiming in with a few of my own mysteries for the wise ehellions to solve!

This first one had a lot of short stories. They told about a womans grandmother when she was little. One of them I remember she had diptheria, and another story was when the young girl got up early (this was back when everyone used woodstoves) she placed her clothes on the oven as her mother did to warm them, and then jumped in bed. Well, she missed the direction "On" and instead placed them "in" the oven. They all awoke to smoke and when the mother opened the oven it was to find her daughters clothes-- charred. Oooh just remembered a third story... the little girl made a cake for her mothers birthday, but instead of using sugar as the recipe intended, she added a bunch of salt accidentally. The childs mother ate every bite of her piece of cake, while everyone else spat theirs out.

I have a lot of details for the second one so i am going to try searching for it on my own first.

Could that be part of the "Grandma's Attic" series? I remember reading those when I was little. Charming little childhood misadventure stories.

Yes! That's it... wait... series?! There's more than one?! *goes to devour books*

Also... didn't find the other book I was looking for. Boo.

So, I give it to the wise ehellions to solve!

so the main character is named Lucinda.She has an older sister Cherry who is a nanny ( i think) and who has already moved out. A bit into the book her older brother also leaves, though is loathe to leave her with their mother who isn't a particularly good one. At one point in the story, they have barely any food, and no bread, so Lucinda eats a peanut butter sandwich on a lettuce leaf. Her mother tells her one day that she is going to visit a friend (or something) and explains to Lucinda that she will leave money for food for her. Her mother tells her she'll be gone a week at most (i think). Lucinda accepts this, and one day when she is returning home with groceries (?) she sees a bunch of people on her porch. Scared she slips into the local cemetery that is right across the way. She enters a house on the grounds and its run down and what not, but safe enough for her to stay. She ends up staying there, and there is a broken statue in the house of a boy, named Benjamin. There are aliens or something in the statue and so it communicates with her. She figures out eventually that they are visitors and that the statue isn't actually Benjamin, though she calls them "Benjamin" for ease of communication. The visitors for their part, try to take care of her as best they can, talking to her and comforting her.

Anyone have any idea what book i am talking about?

Jocelyn

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »
Do you have a Kindle?

http://manybooks.net/authors/brownra.html
DON'T CLICK THAT LINK! IT WILL INSTALL JUNK PROGRAMS ON YOUR COMPUTER!!!!
And so far, I can't get 'remove programs' to remove them.
MALWARE SITE!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »
Do you have a Kindle?

[link deleted]
DON'T CLICK THAT LINK! IT WILL INSTALL JUNK PROGRAMS ON YOUR COMPUTER!!!!
And so far, I can't get 'remove programs' to remove them.
MALWARE SITE!

It's not a malware site (although it's possible to get malware through ads on a clean website) - but it does promote pirating of ebooks, which I do have a big problem with being promoted here.  There are plenty of free books out there without having to steal from the already-underpaid authors who just want to be paid for their work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:47:48 AM by Slartibartfast »

Jocelyn

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »
Well, I ended up with 35 pieces of malware from that site- and I didn't click on an ad. It's all downloaded when I clicked 'download' for the book. Which had a copyright date of 1915, which should make it public domain, and not piracy. At any rate, it's a malicious site.

BarensMom

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
Well, I ended up with 35 pieces of malware from that site- and I didn't click on an ad. It's all downloaded when I clicked 'download' for the book. Which had a copyright date of 1915, which should make it public domain, and not piracy. At any rate, it's a malicious site.

Please tell me it wasn't Project Gutenberg.

random numbers

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 08:47:38 PM »
I'm sorry; I didn't download, only read a few online. They all seemed public domain. I deleted the link from my post.

Edited: I downloaded an HTML version of a story; no issues with my computer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:01:22 PM by random numbers »

Library Dragon

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »

The site linked to wasn't PG. PG doesn't have ads, so 3rd party malware would be very hard to feed through the site.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Jocelyn

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »

It was not. :) and eventually I was able to get the programs off my  computer. I hope. :)

purpleperil

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 06:53:39 AM »

so the main character is named Lucinda.She has an older sister Cherry who is a nanny ( i think) and who has already moved out. A bit into the book her older brother also leaves, though is loathe to leave her with their mother who isn't a particularly good one. At one point in the story, they have barely any food, and no bread, so Lucinda eats a peanut butter sandwich on a lettuce leaf. Her mother tells her one day that she is going to visit a friend (or something) and explains to Lucinda that she will leave money for food for her. Her mother tells her she'll be gone a week at most (i think). Lucinda accepts this, and one day when she is returning home with groceries (?) she sees a bunch of people on her porch. Scared she slips into the local cemetery that is right across the way. She enters a house on the grounds and its run down and what not, but safe enough for her to stay. She ends up staying there, and there is a broken statue in the house of a boy, named Benjamin. There are aliens or something in the statue and so it communicates with her. She figures out eventually that they are visitors and that the statue isn't actually Benjamin, though she calls them "Benjamin" for ease of communication. The visitors for their part, try to take care of her as best they can, talking to her and comforting her.

It's "Beloved Benjamin is Waiting" by Jean Karl

It was one of the books I checked out the most often when I was a kid from the local library. Sadly it has been pulled from their shelves at some point.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »

It's "Beloved Benjamin is Waiting" by Jean Karl

It was one of the books I checked out the most often when I was a kid from the local library. Sadly it has been pulled from their shelves at some point.

Yes! That's it! Thank you!

TOLady

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
I have one that I either made up in my head or does exist and I can't find it no matter who I ask - including my grade school librarian!

A little witch who lived with a cat, had a carpet that would fly when she poured some water on a spot on the carpet and she had a mermaid friend who lived in a crystal mountain. The little witch went to school as well.

I MUST have made this one up.

cwm

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
I have one that I've never been able to find, despite searching multiple LJ communities similar to the link in the other thread and several librarians. And I know I didn't make it up, because I had to look up the song that was in it, the one the groundskeeper kept whistling, and it became one of my favorite songs. I remember that much, at least...

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
I have one that I either made up in my head or does exist and I can't find it no matter who I ask - including my grade school librarian!

A little witch who lived with a cat, had a carpet that would fly when she poured some water on a spot on the carpet and she had a mermaid friend who lived in a crystal mountain. The little witch went to school as well.

I MUST have made this one up.

There is a "Little Witch" series which spans several early reader books - I don't know any of them well enough to say for sure, but this sounds like it's about that level . . .

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »
Okay, another middle grade fantasy I read once upon a time (late 80's) and haven't been able to find since :)  I thought the title was something about a crystal shard, or a dark crystal, but no luck.  It's your standard fantasy adventure, in which the main characters have to find a tower with a crystal in it which is letting evil loose.  The crystal got chipped (hence letting some of the evil out) and the shard was inside the staff belonging to the wizard who was with the party (as a mentor character, I believe?).  The big fight scene was when they got up to the tower and there was creepy ooze coming out of the crystal and they had to be careful not to let it touch them and it gave me the willies for quite a while.

Ring any bells?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
Okay, another middle grade fantasy I read once upon a time (late 80's) and haven't been able to find since :)  I thought the title was something about a crystal shard, or a dark crystal, but no luck.  It's your standard fantasy adventure, in which the main characters have to find a tower with a crystal in it which is letting evil loose.  The crystal got chipped (hence letting some of the evil out) and the shard was inside the staff belonging to the wizard who was with the party (as a mentor character, I believe?).  The big fight scene was when they got up to the tower and there was creepy ooze coming out of the crystal and they had to be careful not to let it touch them and it gave me the willies for quite a while.

Ring any bells?

no but now i wanna read it

ETA: here is a library for you folks. I just read that other book I wanted to find (Beloved Benjamin is Waiting) on there. https://openlibrary.org/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:18:48 PM by Nikko-chan »