Author Topic: S/O ghost story- Lost book help  (Read 2456 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: S/O ghost story- Lost book help
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
Chiming in with a few of my own mysteries for the wise ehellions to solve!

This first one had a lot of short stories. They told about a womans grandmother when she was little. One of them I remember she had diptheria, and another story was when the young girl got up early (this was back when everyone used woodstoves) she placed her clothes on the oven as her mother did to warm them, and then jumped in bed. Well, she missed the direction "On" and instead placed them "in" the oven. They all awoke to smoke and when the mother opened the oven it was to find her daughters clothes-- charred. Oooh just remembered a third story... the little girl made a cake for her mothers birthday, but instead of using sugar as the recipe intended, she added a bunch of salt accidentally. The childs mother ate every bite of her piece of cake, while everyone else spat theirs out.

I have a lot of details for the second one so i am going to try searching for it on my own first.

Could that be part of the "Grandma's Attic" series? I remember reading those when I was little. Charming little childhood misadventure stories.

Yes, it's definitely the first "Grandma's Attic" book.  There are 4 main ones in the series.  I've run into at least one other book (Christmas-themed), but I don't know if that book had unique stories or if it was a compilation of Christmas stories pulled from the other books.  I *think* the stories in it were unique, but I'm not sure.  These books are so great!  We ran into the first one because it was in our homeschool program, and we liked it so much we had to get all the others.  I've given the first one as a gift twice.  :)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 09:01:17 PM »
Chiming in with a few of my own mysteries for the wise ehellions to solve!

This first one had a lot of short stories. They told about a womans grandmother when she was little. One of them I remember she had diptheria, and another story was when the young girl got up early (this was back when everyone used woodstoves) she placed her clothes on the oven as her mother did to warm them, and then jumped in bed. Well, she missed the direction "On" and instead placed them "in" the oven. They all awoke to smoke and when the mother opened the oven it was to find her daughters clothes-- charred. Oooh just remembered a third story... the little girl made a cake for her mothers birthday, but instead of using sugar as the recipe intended, she added a bunch of salt accidentally. The childs mother ate every bite of her piece of cake, while everyone else spat theirs out.

I have a lot of details for the second one so i am going to try searching for it on my own first.

Could that be part of the "Grandma's Attic" series? I remember reading those when I was little. Charming little childhood misadventure stories.

Yes, it's definitely the first "Grandma's Attic" book.  There are 4 main ones in the series.  I've run into at least one other book (Christmas-themed), but I don't know if that book had unique stories or if it was a compilation of Christmas stories pulled from the other books.  I *think* the stories in it were unique, but I'm not sure.  These books are so great!  We ran into the first one because it was in our homeschool program, and we liked it so much we had to get all the others.  I've given the first one as a gift twice.  :)

Actually, there are at least ten in the series!  It follows the main character well into adulthood, and I have them all.  I loved them as a kid, almost as much as the Little House on the Prairie series.  :)

Here's a list of the books, if anyone is interested.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 05:24:58 AM »
I have one that I either made up in my head or does exist and I can't find it no matter who I ask - including my grade school librarian!

A little witch who lived with a cat, had a carpet that would fly when she poured some water on a spot on the carpet and she had a mermaid friend who lived in a crystal mountain. The little witch went to school as well.

I MUST have made this one up.

You did not. Eleanor Estes's The Witch Family .

Slartibartfast yours is Patricia Wrede's Caught in Crystal .

Redsoil

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 07:20:52 AM »
Just had a look on Amazon - "Caught in Crystal" is the fourth book in the Lyra series.  The entire series is available in one Kindle book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Lyra-Novels-Daughter-Witches-ebook/dp/B0092G1BOC/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Curious Cat

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 08:45:44 AM »
I have two if anyone wants to take a go at them.

The first one was probably from the 60s/70s and takes place either in upstate NY or Canada.  There is a lake involved and a missing will that ends up being taped onto the wallpaper in the living room.  there was also something about mining rights to an asbestos mine. 

The second one is also probably from the 60s/70s and maybe takes place in NY?  A bunch of kids decide their parents are overbearing and decide to form a commune.  Things go well for awhile till one of the kids gets hurt/sick and they realize they do need grownups.

Thanks!

squeakers

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »
One from me:

from the 60s or 70s (doubtful it was any older than that because this was a newer school back then), a children's book about a hermit crab, I think.  What I vaguely recall was it had beautiful watercolor illustrations.  It's not the one by Eric Carle (simply because that book was published when I was in high school ;) ).  And I don't think it was by Bill Peet because I don't think it had a rhyming story. 

I think it followed the crab's story from the time he was just floating and eating plankton, then he was big enough to need a shell and the various squabbling over shells as he got even bigger.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 09:56:40 AM »
I have one that I either made up in my head or does exist and I can't find it no matter who I ask - including my grade school librarian!

A little witch who lived with a cat, had a carpet that would fly when she poured some water on a spot on the carpet and she had a mermaid friend who lived in a crystal mountain. The little witch went to school as well.

I MUST have made this one up.

Slartibartfast yours is Patricia Wrede's Caught in Crystal .

OHMIGODTHISISTOTALLYIT.  The Amazon description doesn't have the parts about the crystal but the other details sound familiar.  (It has been more than twenty years . . .)  And it makes sense that it was by Patricia Wrede, considering I love everything else by her . . .

(I bought the entire set from Redsoil's link.)

TOLady

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 10:19:36 AM »

Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy!

I'm not insane!!!!

That is it!

I adore you!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

<goes off to buy some books!>  :D

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
Years ago, on the advice of a librarian, I read a couple of books that were paranormal/romance.  There would be a female paranormal investigator who, in the course of her investigation, would fall for the homeowner or something like that.   Not paranormal heavy and not quite bodice ripping romantic.   Anyone have any ideas on an author or title? I'm at a loss.  If nothing else I'm going to go back to that library and I try to explain myself.   :-[
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

cwm

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
Okay, I'll add my own.

This boy, Danny, ends up somewhere by the coast on holiday. The groundskeeper is always whistling Danny Boy, which is how I know that's what his name is. Danny makes a friend with one of the locals, and there's some sort of hidden treasure and a triangle, I think? Maybe a celtic knot triangle? Anyway, I remember a part where they're in a river in low tide and have to hurry up to get something finished because the tide's going to come in, but the groundskeeper wants the treasure. Something about a church, maybe?

It's stumped everyone so far.

There was another one that I'm wishing I could remember what it was. Girl visits coast town with a bay. Ghost ship appears in the bay. Girl and friend try to figure out why ghost ship is there, it's drained all water out of the bay. Girl's family bought a tavern, I think, and behind the wall is lots of money for girl's family that they now get to keep, they bought the tavern. It was behind a mermaid in the wall, I believe.

I need to start writing down all the books I read, ever. Really.