Author Topic: Conflicted about a job decision  (Read 2590 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

HorseFreak

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2752
Conflicted about a job decision
« on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »
BG: I used to work for Big Company (BC) where I was promised the world and promotions that never came through with the pay raise despite having the responsibilities of someone who made 2.5x what I did. Through networking I found a job at Tiny Company (TC) that paid OK wages (2x what BC paid), but still not quite enough to make the drama worth it.

I have been seriously considering returning to BC if they could make me an offer that would be worth it (at least 2.5x previous salary there). However, BC is fraught with some very serious problems with supplies, poor quality staff and safety of the area. I would have to commute 25+ minutes each way to work 5-7 days per week while I now commute 1 mile and live in a much more fun area. I got in touch with BC on the urging of my previous manager and got the ball rolling on a new contract. Things move at a snail's pace there and I honestly don't expect anything for months as there is some upheaval there in administration. I also do not know the salary I would be offered.

To complicate my life TC offered me a huge raise today, and I do mean huge. This would get me at least to the 2.5x figure if not more as I work on commission. They basically begged me to stay since I bring in 1/3 of their gross income and there is no one else to take over my duties. The problem with TC is I have serious issues with the way many things are done and a severe lack of communication. Today was the first time in a year my boss actually praised me to me face and in front of the other staff. This gives me more reason to stay, but I'm terribly conflicted.

Old manager is getting very upset as he thinks TC can just buy me off and desperately wants me back.  However, his pissy attitude is reminding me of what a moody jerk he can be. We are good friends outside of work, he is extremely experienced in our area and I can and have learned a ton from him, but he can be a real piece of work as well. He claims BC is trying really hard to get my application processed and make an offer that will not be made again if I decline.

I wonder if I'm considering jumping from the frying pan into the fire. There are a stack of things I hate about each place and a stack of benefits.

BC offers affordable health and dental insurance, lots of time off, reasonable hours, salary not commission, working my favorite area every day exclusively, no micro-management, learning a lot more and time to study for my certification exam. Cons include awful staff who can be lazy, petulant or just not show up without consequences, staff on power trips who control my necessary supplies and question my requests (a big no-no in this area), lack of basic supplies due to random reductions in funding, a dangerous environment (the city has a very high violent and non-violent crime rate and at least a couple people have been killed on site where there is minimal security), clients who are depressingly unable to pay for the basics, and the possibility of working ridiculous hours to take care of things my staff can't be trusted to deal with properly.

TC offers great salary + commission, a decent amount of scheduling freedom, pretty good clients who generally can afford quality product, a staff I love, nice area, and no problems with getting supplies I need in a timely manner. Cons include some questionable practices, a boss who doesn't always back me up, being on-call 50% of the time, limited time off and having to work 30% in an area I hate. In addition my favorite staff member is leaving in two months and we have no replacement. To be clear, these issues have been pretty serious and upsetting to me.

For those of you in a similar position, how much has money made a difference for you? It can't buy happiness, but it sure does help when you're up to six digits in student loans. I know it's a business decision, but I feel like I'm screwing over the company I don't pick and it's an awful feeling. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:50:26 PM by HorseFreak »

DavidH

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1665
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »
I think there are a number of issues.

Since TC offered you a raise, I don't see an issue in accepting it unless they are asking you to sign a new, longer term contract or something like that.  For the short term at least, you are there and why would you turn down the money.  It doesn't stop you leaving at a later date and may put you in a better bargaining position with BC.

For BC, assuming you are interested in the job, I'd say to manager, I'm interested, but I'd need to earn X, that way if they can't pay X you won't waste your time and theirs.  Assuming that X is in the range of what they can pay, then I'd say to him that until you have a contract in hand to sign, nothing is final.  As he must know having been in the industry for a while, things can change quickly and without a contract, nothing is guaranteed. 

If you are thinking of moving for a raise, it very much matters how much money.  Break the raise down into how much more per week or month and they ask yourself what that's worth to you. In my opinion, I'd rather earn a bit less and be happy than a bit more at a job I hate.  Another option is to sit down with your current boss and say that you appreciate the raise and enjoy working there overall, but would like to discuss some concerns.  For example, could you change your on call schedule somewhat, could boss provide more positive feedback when warranted, etc.

For me, working in a location where people have been killed would be a major minus.  I'd be hard pressed to think of how much more I'd have to earn to work where being murdered at my desk was a real concern. 

PastryGoddess

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4517
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:09:46 PM »
So maybe there is a third option.  Contact a recruiter and see if there are any other options available.  I don't know where you live or how the job market is in your area, but surely there are other places to work than these 2 companies.

If I were you, I'd take the money from TC and continue to look for a new job for the 2 months that favorite coworker is there.  Also, stop thinking about the company and think about yourself.  Both companies are doing what is in their best interests, not yours.  It seems you have real value to two companies.  This puts you in the drivers seat.  I'm not saying that you should abuse that power, but you are holding a lot of chips.

*inviteseller

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1821
  • I am Queen Mommy
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
If you were to sit down and list the pros and cons of each job I don't think you would have any pros.  You believe both jobs are hideously run, the people aren't competent, and although both seem to want you, you don't seem to really want them.  As far as the boss praising you, many don't, especially publicly.   I honestly don't expect an atta girl for my work, but that's just me.  TC is offering you the money you want (which is the ultimate goal if I am reading your post right).  Why not take it and try to sit down with your boss and discuss rationally what you feel are the issues relating to work (not anything that is personality based) and give him your ideas as to how things may be more effective.  The big question you need to ask yourself  is they both want you, you don't want either of them because you think very little of either company, but do you want the money your position is worth that they are both offering?    Do you want to work in TC where you may be able to make changes, do you want to go to BC, a company that has already been a problem for you, or should you go back out into the market and find a new place that maybe more comfortable for you?

JenJay

  • I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
  • ****
  • Posts: 5815
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 08:25:02 PM »
If TC is that motivated to keep you I'd use it as leverage to decrease the amount of time I was on call or get more time off to compensate for being on call.  There's almost no amount of money that would lure me into an area where being murdered was a legitimate concern, but I wouldn't let TC know that.

TootsNYC

  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • *****
  • Posts: 30461
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »
If TC is that motivated to keep you I'd use it as leverage to decrease the amount of time I was on call or get more time off to compensate for being on call.  There's almost no amount of money that would lure me into an area where being murdered was a legitimate concern, but I wouldn't let TC know that.

Yep, use that leverage.

And use it to get some of the stuff you dislike, rectified.

wolfie

  • I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
  • ****
  • Posts: 6747
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 10:40:22 PM »
First I am going to say "see if there is an option C". Look for other companies - especially if you are willing to relocate. In the meantime take the raise - until you have a written offer you have nothing from BC so why screw yourself at TC for something that might never come?

I understand where you are coming from - I just got divorced so my income dropped but my expenses didn't by much. I just finished refinancing everything into payments I can handle so I really understand when you say the money is an issue. Can you come up with a budget on each salary and see how long it would get you to pay off debt at each level? Seeing in black and white whether there is a significant difference between taking the jobs might help make a decision. If one has you paying it off in 4 years and the other in 7 then it seems like job 1 has a huge plus. If it is between 5 years and 5 years and 3 months then maybe not so much. Also think of future earnings. Will BC give you raises if you come back? Will TC give you ones if you stay? If your raise at TC gets you to the level you want at BC the lack of raises at BC vs probability of them at TC could change those statistics too.


gollymolly2

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2610
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 01:00:23 AM »
So maybe there is a third option.  Contact a recruiter and see if there are any other options available.  I don't know where you live or how the job market is in your area, but surely there are other places to work than these 2 companies.

If I were you, I'd take the money from TC and continue to look for a new job for the 2 months that favorite coworker is there.  Also, stop thinking about the company and think about yourself.  Both companies are doing what is in their best interests, not yours.  It seems you have real value to two companies.  This puts you in the drivers seat.  I'm not saying that you should abuse that power, but you are holding a lot of chips.

I was going to suggest the same, but you already said it so well. So I'll just park my pod here :)

cicero

  • Super Hero!
  • ****
  • Posts: 17379
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 04:32:43 AM »
So maybe there is a third option.  Contact a recruiter and see if there are any other options available.  I don't know where you live or how the job market is in your area, but surely there are other places to work than these 2 companies.

If I were you, I'd take the money from TC and continue to look for a new job for the 2 months that favorite coworker is there.  Also, stop thinking about the company and think about yourself.  Both companies are doing what is in their best interests, not yours.  It seems you have real value to two companies.  This puts you in the drivers seat.  I'm not saying that you should abuse that power, but you are holding a lot of chips.

I was going to suggest the same, but you already said it so well. So I'll just park my pod here :)
that's what i would do.

I don't see why you would want to go back to BC. My main concern (and not my ONLY concern) would be your safety. if they cannot ensure your safety or life, then you should not even consider it. and that is beyond the other - significant - issues that you raised.

TC- would depend what you mean by 'questionable practices' (annoying things or shady/illegal things?). I would, as PPs suggested, negotiate your on-call availability and other things as part of your renegotiating your salary.

but certainly if TC isn't a perfect match for you, then look elsewhere - not at BC.

            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Judah

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4769
  • California, U.S.A
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »
So maybe there is a third option.  Contact a recruiter and see if there are any other options available.  I don't know where you live or how the job market is in your area, but surely there are other places to work than these 2 companies.

If I were you, I'd take the money from TC and continue to look for a new job for the 2 months that favorite coworker is there.  Also, stop thinking about the company and think about yourself.  Both companies are doing what is in their best interests, not yours.  It seems you have real value to two companies.  This puts you in the drivers seat.  I'm not saying that you should abuse that power, but you are holding a lot of chips.

I was going to suggest the same, but you already said it so well. So I'll just park my pod here :)

Yup, me too. Unless these are the only two companies that do what you do, there are other options. While exploring those options, use your clout at TC to make changes.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Hmmmmm

  • Super Hero!
  • ****
  • Posts: 6254
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
So maybe there is a third option.  Contact a recruiter and see if there are any other options available.  I don't know where you live or how the job market is in your area, but surely there are other places to work than these 2 companies.

If I were you, I'd take the money from TC and continue to look for a new job for the 2 months that favorite coworker is there.  Also, stop thinking about the company and think about yourself.  Both companies are doing what is in their best interests, not yours.  It seems you have real value to two companies.  This puts you in the drivers seat.  I'm not saying that you should abuse that power, but you are holding a lot of chips.

I was going to suggest the same, but you already said it so well. So I'll just park my pod here :)

Yup, me too. Unless these are the only two companies that do what you do, there are other options. While exploring those options, use your clout at TC to make changes.

Unless these are the only two employers of your skill in your area, I ccompletely agree with this.

Also, it sounds like you might be oversharing with your Ex boss. I wouldn't discuss your salary or work conditions at TC with him.

HorseFreak

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 2752
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »
I appreciate everyone's comments. I had to change some details slightly. My ex-manager is not really a manager in the traditional sense and my job is not typical. Unfortunately, I work in an area hit hard by the recession and finding a new job almost always involves a relocation of hundreds of miles.

I don't think BC will come through with a comparable offer so I'm not going to worry about it too much. In the last day my current boss has made a huge effort to change some things I was unhappy with and the raise has made staying a lot more palatable.

zainabzks

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1667
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »
For me the chance of being murdered would be enough to keep me at bay.

I hope TC works very well for you. Good luck!

katycoo

  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 3732
Re: Conflicted about a job decision
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 05:41:16 AM »
Don't go back to BC.  Generally speaking, its not a good idea unless you're returning to a promoted postion, not just salary and the same old job.

Definitely use the fact that TC want to keep you to negotiate terms that work better for you. More leave, less on call, bigger voice to make internal changes.