Author Topic: How long do you plan on working here? (Promotion question) UPDATE #24  (Read 4839 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
DD#1 has been working part time at a take-out-only location for a popular chain restaurant for 5+ years. While she's been away at college she was able to pick up hours every holiday and over the summer.

This year, her Sr year at college, due to high recommendations from her Boss she was able to transfer to a sit-down restaurant (SDR) close to her apartment doing the same things (handling take-out orders) that she was doing at home-town restaurant, getting the same pay (a bit above minimum wage.)

DD#1 has been at SDR since late-August and after her first month, received a 50cent/hour raise.

DD#1 would really like to start training as a waitress (more money, big tips! Very popular place) She told them that this was her goal when she first interviewed.

A couple of weeks ago she asked her manager about training for a waitstaff position. He point-blank asked her "How long do you plan on working here?"

DD#1 said "At least until I'm out of school next May. My apartment lease goes until August. I really like this area, so I plan on working here until I find a job in my field."

Manager's response was "Hmpf. Maybe I'll talk to the waitstaff manager."

Right now DD#1 doesn't feel hopeful about ever getting promoted to waitstaff. She's wondering if giving the honest answer was the right thing to do.

Since it's already been two weeks, she's also wondering when she could/should bring the subject up again with her manager? Or should she go straight to the waitstaff manager and ask her about a position?

How does one actively push for a promotion without being rude?

Any advice I could pass on to DD#1?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:01:59 PM by jpcher »

Girly

Re: How long do you plan on working here? (Promotion question)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »
My husband once interviewed for a job when he was in college and we first started dating.

He lived in Erie, PA and I lived in Cleveland, OH. He went into an office supply store that was not hiring, and walked out with a job on the weekends.

His approach? He asked to speak to the sales manager, and told him what he could do for the store, and how he could help their sales - he didn't ask what the store could do for him. Quite a feat for a nerdy, shy college kid!!

Curious Cat

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
She  did the right thing in being honest if she lied they probably wouldn't be willing to give her a reference.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:50:53 PM by Curious Cat »

Goosey

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
Your daughter should talk to the career counseling service at her college.

That being said, managers are unlikely to want to train and invest in a person who isn't planning on staying very long.

Good luck

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 09:40:10 PM »
Giving the honest answer was absolutely the correct thing. If they trained her now and she leaves they know it was a possibility.  If she had fudged any future work recommendation could have been damaged. 

She could offer to train so that when they need a back up she will be ready.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
I'd ask the waitstaff manager if her manager had spoken to them yet.  It may be that her manager doesn't want to let a good worker go and is hoping that she'll get tired of waiting and drop it.

Another option is to see if any local catering companies are hiring.  They are always looking for waitstaff and if she's good, she can work her way up to captain. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 02:24:51 AM »

Right now DD#1 doesn't feel hopeful about ever getting promoted to waitstaff. She's wondering if giving the honest answer was the right thing to do.

Since it's already been two weeks, she's also wondering when she could/should bring the subject up again with her manager? Or should she go straight to the waitstaff manager and ask her about a position?

How does one actively push for a promotion without being rude?

Any advice I could pass on to DD#1?
Personally, in life, I think that being honest is the best way to go. She may or may not lose this job/promotion but her reputation will follow her in life and it's better not to be known as the "sneaky witch who lies"

In her shoes, I would be proactive and approach the wait staff manager.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 04:22:48 AM »

"6 months, then I'm out."
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »
I think that this is somewhat of a stupid question from the manager. Unless DD is going to waitress school, of course she will be looking for work in her own field after graduation!!! I can understand asking the question to ensure that she's not leaving in three weeks, but if anything, her schooling helps ensure that she plans to be there for a few months. If that is no long enough for the restaurant, then fine, but why would they think that she would guarantee anything beyond that??? If they are looking for someone to be extremely long term, then college students are not a good source to pull from.

I agree, be honest. Any lies will come back to bite you.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »
I don't think it's a stupid question. I wouldn't expect the boss to know the graduation schedule of all the part-time staff.  It's perfectly reasonable for him to ask how committed she is to his business.  Why should he spend time and money training someone who may plan to leave in the near future.  And in this case she is planning to leave in the near future. I think she was a bit cheeky to ask for training in a job she knows she won't be committed to for much more than six months, including the training period.

DavidH

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »
I don't see any reason not to go to the other manager and express interest.  Phrased as I heard you may have some openings from my manager and would be very interested in applying is on the right side of proactive without being pushy.  She may as well say that she graduates in May, but her lease will run until August, so she can commit to being at the job until XX date.  I'd be up front and say that she will start looking for work in her field and will let them know as soon as she knows anything so that they can plan ahead.

I guess some questions are when does she expect to find a job in her field.  It is likely to be right after graduation or take a lot longer.  If she hasn't found a job by August, would she stay there waiting tables, or move home?  Would she be interested in moving up in the restaurant industry, manager, maybe a job in corporate etc. 

It is reasonable to ask how long she is thinking of staying, since why would you invest in someone you know is leaving soon. 

At this point, if I were asked how long did I intend to stay in an interview, I'd say my intention is to make a career at new company, but none of us know how the future will shape up, so I cannot give a specific time frame any more than they could guarantee how the job will evolve over time.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »
I think that this is somewhat of a stupid question from the manager. Unless DD is going to waitress school, of course she will be looking for work in her own field after graduation!!! I can understand asking the question to ensure that she's not leaving in three weeks, but if anything, her schooling helps ensure that she plans to be there for a few months. If that is no long enough for the restaurant, then fine, but why would they think that she would guarantee anything beyond that??? If they are looking for someone to be extremely long term, then college students are not a good source to pull from.

I agree, be honest. Any lies will come back to bite you.
I think honesty was the best way to go , this reference may make the difference for her getting that first job in her chosen career.   

A college student could answer anywhere between 8 weeks(at this time of year) and 7 years, so I don't think it was a silly question.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
I don't think it's a stupid question. I wouldn't expect the boss to know the graduation schedule of all the part-time staff.  It's perfectly reasonable for him to ask how committed she is to his business.  Why should he spend time and money training someone who may plan to leave in the near future.  And in this case she is planning to leave in the near future. I think she was a bit cheeky to ask for training in a job she knows she won't be committed to for much more than six months, including the training period.
POD, not stupid at all. DD1 is a newish employee at this location and even if mgr knew she was to graduate in a few months, she might be planning doing post graduate work. As a manager I would wonder why a person would ask me to put them through a training program if they were only planning to work there another 6 months.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »
Thanks for your responses so far. Please keep them coming.

I think she was a bit cheeky to ask for training in a job she knows she won't be committed to for much more than six months, including the training period.

Really? (serious, not snarky) a bit cheeky to look for advancement with a company (granted, different venue) that she's been with for 5+ years? Especially now that the opportunity exists.

I would think that a commitment of at least six months would be enough to train a long time company employee for promotion.

Just for the record . . . DD#1 does not have any experience serving tables. But she knows the menu inside-n-out and has a good rapport with the kitchen staff, so she does have a 1-sided foot up in training (as opposed to a trained server walking in off the street who doesn't know the menu) . . . does that make a difference?

I guess some questions are when does she expect to find a job in her field.  It is likely to be right after graduation or take a lot longer.  If she hasn't found a job by August, would she stay there waiting tables, or move home?  Would she be interested in moving up in the restaurant industry, manager, maybe a job in corporate etc.

Good questions. If she hasn't found a job by the time she graduates, she would stay there waiting tables and ask for full time while she's looking/interviewing. When her lease is up, I'm betting that she will renew. She likes her independence and doesn't want to move back home. Plus she really likes the area. She's also decided to take a year off before going on for her masters, but would really like a job in her field during that off year.

So everything is up in the air right now.

Given the above, what would be good words for DD#1 to say in an interview as to how long she plans on staying there?

There are 2 positions opening up. One mid-December, an early graduate, already gave his notice. And another taking leave due to pregnancy (don't know when she's leaving.)

As far as being honest . . . I already told DD#1 that she did the right thing. ;)  I asked her "What would you have said if you didn't tell the truth?" She didn't have an answer.

cheyne

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
Honesty is always the best policy.  Your DD did the right thing.  I would talk to the waitstaff manager if it were me.

As for the training question, waitstaff at restaurants come and go.  The service industry has the highest turnover of any in the US.  Especially eateries.  A solid employee with 5 years at the business could be trained to wait tables in a couple of days-we're not talking about weeks of training here.  (Says the former waitress/bartender at many establishments).