Author Topic: Time for a misheard lyric thread!  (Read 10629 times)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Re: Time for a misheard lyric thread!
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »
"Sore, would you just get the door?
I'm a loser baby
So why don't you cure me"

This one I have no good excuse to mishear since, well, Spanish is my first language.

"Monday morning, mean mean stride, today's Tom Sawyer, mean mean ride"
"No worries, no worries, love and life are deep, maybe as his skies are wide"

I did not find out the right lyrics until I attended the Time Machine concert!
I have pet mice!

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
My sister, piping up from the back seat of the VW when she was about five, after listening to Walking in a Winter Wonderland-

"What color is Parson Brown?"

("in the meadow we can build a snowman, and pretend that he is Parson Brown...")

I...don't get it?  Could you explain?

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
My sister, piping up from the back seat of the VW when she was about five, after listening to Walking in a Winter Wonderland-

("in the meadow we can build a snowman, and pretend that he is Parson Brown...")

"Parson" is another name for "minister" or "priest" or "chaplain".  They would build a snowman, pretend it's the minister who's last name is Brown, the snowman will ask "are you married" and they'll say "no man, but you can do the job when you're in town." Like he can marry them next time.

The little girl figured that "parson" was a shade of brown because she hadn't heard the old-timey word "parson" before.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
You know that song "Venus" sung by Bananarama (I think at least one other band sung it too, I'm not sure who did it first), with the line, "I'm your Venus, I'm your fire at your desire"?

Yeah...My grandfather, the first time he heard that song (he and my dad were driving in my dad's van, going on a hunting trip, I believe), sort of squinted in confusion and asked my father, "Did they say 'I'm your penis'?"

I don't know how my dad was able to keep a straight face.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »
For years I thought it was "I'm your Venus, I'm your bundle of joy, yes I am."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2013, 03:12:13 PM »
I thought it was "I'm your penis, I'm your fire, your desire," for a very long time.  I was so shocked it got radio play with lyrics like that.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2013, 04:53:38 PM »

"Parson" is another name for "minister" or "priest" or "chaplain".  They would build a snowman, pretend it's the minister who's last name is Brown, the snowman will ask "are you married" and they'll say "no man, but you can do the job when you're in town." Like he can marry them next time.

The little girl figured that "parson" was a shade of brown because she hadn't heard the old-timey word "parson" before.

I never knew that! Honestly, I always thought Parson Brown was someone famous way back when and they were talking about "marital duties" aka Scrabble. So no we aren't married, but when you're in town we'll *wink wink nudge nudge* and pretend we are married to you. Which I always thought was a bit dirty for a Christmas song but just went with it.

tinkytinky

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
I'm a little embarrassed with this one: (I was about 4)

Away in a Manger:

Real lyrics: the little Lord Jesus lay down His sweet head

My lyrics: the little orgy us......

ummm....yeah. When i asked what an orgy was, I can remember my parents laughing and I couldn't figure out what was so funny, this was a somber, sweet Christmas song, dang it! don't make fun of me!  ;D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

merryns

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
A nice song about Modegreens (called Lady Mondegren) ... https://play.spotify.com/album/7zV4S2t5cAP4FribQ6yXA5

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2013, 01:45:23 AM »
You know that song "Venus" sung by Bananarama (I think at least one other band sung it too, I'm not sure who did it first), with the line, "I'm your Venus, I'm your fire at your desire"?

Shocking Blue did it first.

My misheard lyric for this week ...

I came on like Oregano (something something) you rated me (something something) I used the force.

My only defense is it was noisy and I had never heard "Wrecking Ball" before.

edit:  You only need to know that "Shocking Blue did it first" once.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:47:51 AM by zyrs »

Bethczar

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »
And the other night, I had the oldies station on the radio (apparently Dad's taste in music has rubbed off  :o  ) and heard the song "Secret Agent Man."  I could've sworn he was singing "Secret ASIAN Man."
A friend of mine says it's about him, because he IS a "secret Asian man."  His mother is Chinese, his father white.  He has no Asian features at all.
DaVinci's Notebook does a song called Secret Asian Man. At a concert we went to, their singer was talking about how he felt like a secret Asian because no one could tell if he was Japanese, Chinese, of Korean.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2013, 07:59:21 PM »
Y'all are giving me a much needed laugh!

"I really, really, really wanna sing you this song!"

Hey, it makes much more sense than "zigazigah"!!!

I have pet mice!

mathchick

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2013, 03:03:20 PM »
"And little boys were drinking whiskey and rye...."

This was supposed to be, "Them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye..." from American Pie.  I need to enunciate more clearly when I sing to the children.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2013, 03:09:46 PM »
From "Africa" by Toto...
I thought it was "Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like an empress above the Serengetti"
Real Lyrics: "Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengetti"

I thought it was "rises like a leopardess above the Serengeti"

Until.... About 45 seconds ago.

You know, the thing is that Kilimanjaro is about twice the height of Olympus, so it's a bad comparison.

I think the above lines are *much* better. Toto, take note.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »
My youngest daughter, while listening intently to a record of famous people singing Christmas songs, got a very puzzled expression on her face.

5 year old daughter:  "Mommy, why is Candice standing in the window and why is Carol eating all the spinach?"

??? ??? ???

Real words to the song:  "For we need a little Christmas
                                         right this very minute
                                         Candles in the window
                                         Carols at the spinet  ...  "