Author Topic: Time for a misheard lyric thread!  (Read 11099 times)

Bethczar

Re: Time for a misheard lyric thread!
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2014, 11:35:16 AM »

In my case, it was definitely misheard. I was 6, and I knew quite well what lard was (it's what Grandma fries her donuts in!), but had never heard the word laud.

That brings up such a cute little image in my mind of a teeny baby Jesus lying in his manger all smiling and happy thinking "Oh boy!  Oh boy!  Grandma's sending doughnuts!!"
Grandma's donuts were so good, they were worthy of the baby Jesus!  ;D

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
Not misheard but just a naive kid - when I was little, at least 10 and younger, anytime the word Baby was in a song, I took it at face value and figured they meant a baby.

Specific example that made me think of this is Ace of Base's 'All That She Wants' (is another baby...) I felt so bad for 'she'... Where's her little baby go??
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Cricket

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 03:32:21 AM »
And to add to the massacre of religious songs, I offer up this prayer:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
Howard be thy name ...

I seriously hope the dear Lord has a sense of humor :D

And from my hubby: In Australian schools during the 1950s and 60s it was common to sing the national anthem at least once a week at assembly, but usually daily. At that time, our anthem was God Save the Queen.

Real Line: Send her victorious, happy and glorious
DH sang: Santa's victorious, happy and glorious

and tells me he always wondered why he never questioned why Santa was mentioned in the national anthem.

In the song Ol' Time Rock'n'Roll, I thought the line said, Call me a rabbit, call me what you will and I'd think Ok, you're a rabbit and then I'd wonder if it was really insulting in America to call someone a rabbit. How about we try, Call me a rebel, call me what you will.  ::)

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »
Oh, I thought it was 'Call me a relic, call me what you will.'
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

XRogue

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »
In my case, I was 2 or so, and it was a Creedence Clearwater Revival song, Door to Door. What it said was,
"This stuff will take the stain out if you use it loosely wadded."

What I sang along was, "This stuff will take the stain out if you gooseta-gooseta-whaddit."

Cricket

« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
Oh, I thought it was 'Call me a relic, call me what you will.'

You're right, it is. I've had the song, "He's a Rebel" stuck in my head since I heard it on New Year's Eve and I didn't even notice the mistake (read what I thought I'd written, not what I actually had written)  ::)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
Today I realized that the song that I have thought was saying "Medieval Woman" was saying "E  e e vil woman" (Evil Woman).  Changed the whole song for me.

Bethczar

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2014, 06:00:58 PM »
Today I realized that the song that I have thought was saying "Medieval Woman" was saying "E  e e vil woman" (Evil Woman).  Changed the whole song for me.
I thought that for the longest time, too. My husband still makes fun of me.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2014, 06:53:48 PM »
I thought that for the longest time, too. My husband still makes fun of me.

I always heard "medieval woman" too, though I realized that could not possibly be right.  I kept thinking that it made no sense, but I couldn't figure out what it really was.  Apparently he's just singing "evil" in a strange way.  Glad I wasn't alone!

On a similar note, I have been reading misheard lyrics sites for a while now, and a very popular one is in the song "Blinded by the Light".  The line is "Revved up like a deuce" but everybody always hears "wrapped up like a douche".

Just a few days ago, I actually heard the song for the first time, and...no wonder! The singer is putting a "sh" sound in "deuce" for some completely unknown reason and that's the word it ends up sounding like.  I seriously don't know how anybody could hear that as the correct lyric who hadn't read about it online first.

And to jump back to the misheard lyrics in religious songs, up until a few years ago I thought that "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands" was "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lambs".   As a kid, I was going with the "Jesus as sheep herder" thing and so I imagined that the "joyful noise" in question was all the lambs baaing.  I actually think I like it better that way, though-oh well.    :)

daen

« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2014, 02:11:40 PM »

<snip>

And to jump back to the misheard lyrics in religious songs, up until a few years ago I thought that "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands" was "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lambs".   As a kid, I was going with the "Jesus as sheep herder" thing and so I imagined that the "joyful noise" in question was all the lambs baaing.  I actually think I like it better that way, though-oh well.    :)

Well, we had a song in Sunday School with the words "Have no fear, little flock," - the Jesus as sheep-herder thing coming into play. At least one of my compatriots heard it as "Have no fear, little fox." Her mother couldn't figure out why we were singing about foxes in Sunday School.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2014, 06:59:47 PM »
When my brother and I first heard "Bringing in the Sheaves" sung in The Simpsons, we both misheard it as "Bringing in the Sheep".

Hey, it makes sense, given all the shepherds and sheep in religious imagery.
I have pet mice!

blueyzca01

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »
Def Leppard’s song Animal

What I hear:  I gotta feel it in my blood whoa oh
I need your touch on me down low

What they sing:  I gotta feel it in my blood whoa oh
I need your touch don't need your love whoa oh

I mean, it's not completely crazy...it could make sense.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
In "Always" by Bon Jovi:

I misheard one line as "it's nothing but some peanuts"

instead of

"it's nothing but some feelings"

I could tell from the beginning that those lyrics made no sense and thus could not be right. But I had to look up the lyrics in order to figure out the true ones!!!
I have pet mice!

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
One of Peter Kay's sets focussed on this - I can't listen to Sister Sledge's 'We are Family' without thinking that when they sing 'Just let me state for the record' they are actually saying 'just let me staple the vicar' now.

Also, I always, for some reason, hear the words 'Anna Friel' (a british actress) when Madonna sings 'And I feel' in Ray of Light.

Both of them ruined for me, ruined I tell you! ;)

Melle

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
When my brother and I first heard "Bringing in the Sheaves" sung in The Simpsons, we both misheard it as "Bringing in the Sheep".

Hey, it makes sense, given all the shepherds and sheep in religious imagery.

Oh dear... up until right now, that was still what I thought the lyrics actually were...

Mine's not quite as innocent, though in my defense, I misheard this way back when I was a child and had no idea what it might imply.

Listening to Tina Turner, I was sure she sang:
"What's love but a second hand in motion?"