A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Canadian actors playing US parts I

(1/9) > >>

Barney girl:
I've been reading something about the sic fi series Stargate SG1 and was surprised to realise how many of the actors are Canadian. It's notoriously difficult for the British to tell by someone's accent whether they are Canadian or American, so I was wondering if they are putting on American accents or using their own and also what happens normally in Canadian/US series. Or is that as so much is shot in Vancouver, which is near the border that there is no difference?

Outdoor Girl:
There are so many regional accents in Canada and the US.  Generally speaking, a typical Canadian accent sounds like a typical Mid West American accent.  Most of the actors probably try to even out their regional accents - like if they are from the East Coast.

There are a huge number of shows that are filmed in the Vancouver area that end up having a lot of Canadian cast and crew.  Off the top of my head:  all the Stargate ones, Supernatural, Smallville, Beauty and the Beast, Continuum, Sanctuary, Arrow (I think).  And that is just a few.

cwm:
Mostly, it's shot in Vancouver so it doesn't make a difference. Between Canadian English and American English, there's really very little difference. The stereotypical "Canadian" accent is really only on the East coast, Labrador and Newfoundland, if I'm remembering correctly. I mean, they do have a few words they pronounce slightly differently (sorry being one I can think of that's standard across the country), but for the most part it's the same.

Plus with the number of accents that exist across the United States itself, it's really easy to pass off as American on TV. Most people go for the accent of the midwest, it seems to be the most universally understood and the least accented, if that makes sense.

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: cwm on November 08, 2013, 03:15:45 PM ---Mostly, it's shot in Vancouver so it doesn't make a difference. Between Canadian English and American English, there's really very little difference. The stereotypical "Canadian" accent is really only on the East coast, Labrador and Newfoundland, if I'm remembering correctly. I mean, they do have a few words they pronounce slightly differently (sorry being one I can think of that's standard across the country), but for the most part it's the same.

Plus with the number of accents that exist across the United States itself, it's really easy to pass off as American on TV. Most people go for the accent of the midwest, it seems to be the most universally understood and the least accented, if that makes sense.

--- End quote ---

I talk with people in Calgary and Vancouver regularly and travel there every few years. I do think they have a distinct accent, or maybe I'm picking up on a lack of US accent, but I can tell pretty quickly when speaking with a Canadian versus an expat American. But I've never been to eastern Canada nor do I know of anyone from that area. So if that is the typical accent, I'm curious about what it is.

Outdoor Girl:
Small town vs big city raised makes a difference, too.  I'm a small town girl and a bit of a hick.  Plus, my parents were raised in the Ottawa Valley, which also tends to have its own unique accent.  My Dad was raised in the city so it was quite mild.  My mother, raised in a small town about an hour outside Ottawa?  Not so mild.  Her sister's accent was even more pronounced.  When I visited a friend in California, the mother of one of their friends was just tickled with my 'accent'.  I thought she had an accent!

East coasters tend to have quite a lilt to their speaking, especially Cape Bretoners.  And Newfoundlanders are something else again.  Sometimes, when they get going, I start wondering if we are speaking the same language.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version