Author Topic: Remembrance Day - November 11th  (Read 1535 times)

cwm

Re: Remembrance Day - November 11th
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »
My grandpa served in WWII, and I've had a few other family members serve.

I wish I had time to go out to his gravestone today. I miss you, grandpa. Thank you for your service, I'll never forget.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 11:27:48 AM »
My paternal grandfather was in the medical corps in WWI.  He was in the first gas attack at Ypres.  He died when I was a toddler so I have very few memories of him.  My Dad always said that he wouldn't talk very much about what happened in the war.  We only heard a few stories.

He brought back quite a few things with him, most of which we donated to the Legion.  Most of those items disappeared, likely into private collections, unfortunately.

One story I do remember, told to me by my Dad, was when there was an order to retreat and they were unable to bring their wounded with them, in their haste.  The wounded were left lying in a mostly swampy area.  When they managed to retake the same ground a few days later, they found many of the wounded up and walking around and except for being a little hungry, mostly in good shape.  You see, that swampy area was full of leeches which somehow helped with their wounds and preventing lead poisoning from the bullets.  No idea whether or not it was true but I still like the story.

I'm watching the service from Ottawa right now.  I am always so impressed with how many members of the public come to watch the proceedings in person; they aren't officially involved in the ceremony but they line the streets and pay their respects to the veterans as they march away from the cenotaph, the able bodied pushing their wheelchair bound comrades in arms.

And, as is typical for Remembrance Day, it is snowing.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Jones

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »
My grandfather's older brother served in WWII shortly after eloping with his love. I wish I knew where he was buried. My mom's very good friend died of complications after Desert Storm... Paul was my little girl crush and I often remember how he touched our lives.

Now I have my inlaws, who are a proud military family and have people who served in every generation. I am grateful to them as I've seen how the sacrifices have affected them. Grandpa is dead now, he was overseas while Grandma built sights for guns during WWII. He was allowed to fly home to arrange her funeral when they thought she would die giving birth...she pulled through and he went back to the front, with a photo of his new daughter. He came home after and they had 5 more kids. FIL is disabled from his time in the Navy, Uncle J has ongoing health issues, Cousin J has 4 kids and has served 3 times in the Middle East. My brother did a tour in Afghanistan last year.

I will never forget.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 11:55:07 AM »
I'm thinking today of my friend Sgt George Miok, who was killed in Kandahar by an IED.  I miss you, man.

I'm also thinking of my paternal grandfather, still alive, who was a ww2 pilot and somehow survived his squadron's attack on a Japanese warship.  Out of ammunition, he deliberately crashed his plane into the ship's deck.  And lived to tell the tale.  He was given a medal for bravery and the flag from the captured ship.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

glinda

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
My mother had an uncle whom she never met.

He, along with his three brothers enlisted in the early days of WWII.  Each of them went into a different branch of the service, the other three returned but Daniel was killed by sniper fire in the Netherlands in January of 1945.  He is buried there and it is my hope to one day put flowers on his grave.

On my way home tonight I shall pass the cemetery where my grandfather is buried and place my poppy at his grave in honour of his service in the signal corps in WWII.  He too, would never speak of his service.

I wear my poppy not only for them, and for my friend who was been to Afghanistan twice,  but for everyone whose life has been touched by war.

I will never forget.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
Other than my grandfather, I don't have military connections - family or friends.  But I live near a Canadian Forces Base.  There has been a campaign for years about wearing red on Fridays to support our troops.  I wear a red shirt every Friday.  A couple of people at work have commented but other than that, I doubt anyone notices.  But I still do it.  Makes me feel like I'm doing something, however small it may seem.

I don't think much of Don Cherry, generally, but I do admire his support of the troops.  He would do a segment on Hockey Night In Canada whenever there were soldiers killed.  This big, gruff, most politically incorrect of men would be moved to tears.  Not to mention his trips overseas to visit the troops.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
Both my grandfathers served (one in the Navy Air Corps, the other served in postwar Germany), as did a great-uncle (Merchant Marine), a distant cousin (Spanish-American War) and an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War. I will always remember.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
My father served as a medical corpsman in the US Navy in WWII.

Both of my grandfathers served in both WWI and WWII, on opposite sides. In his defense, my paternal grandfather served in the German army in WWII very reluctantly, in order to protect his Jewish wife and daughter. They survived the war, he didn't.

I have ancestors who served in the US Civil War and the American Revolution.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Coralreef

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »
My mother's three cousins died at Dieppe in 1942.  DD and I found the grave of one when we went to France, but not the others.  Many of the gravestones said "Known unto God" with only a maple leaf or other insigna indicating which country the soldier was from.  When we came back from the military cemetary, we saw poppies growing between fenceposts.

We always wear poppies this time of year.  Unfortunately, I could not attend the cérémonies this year. 

My son is a lieutenant in the Canadian Armed Forces. 

[/right

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »
Other than my grandfather, I don't have military connections - family or friends.  But I live near a Canadian Forces Base.  There has been a campaign for years about wearing red on Fridays to support our troops.  I wear a red shirt every Friday.  A couple of people at work have commented but other than that, I doubt anyone notices.  But I still do it.  Makes me feel like I'm doing something, however small it may seem.

I don't think much of Don Cherry, generally, but I do admire his support of the troops.  He would do a segment on Hockey Night In Canada whenever there were soldiers killed.  This big, gruff, most politically incorrect of men would be moved to tears.  Not to mention his trips overseas to visit the troops.

I love Don Cherry.  Under that gruff exterior, I think, is a very kind man.  He is also vehement in his advocation for Canadian Hockey for young boys.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »
I went to my local Legion yesterday wearing my poppy.  I live in the US, but observe Remembrance Day instead of Veteran's Day since the holidays are a bit different.  My dad loved the Legion and was a member of the Royal Canadian Legion until the day he died three years ago.  I always go to the Legion on RD to honour him.

True to form, my dad was with me b/c I won the meat draw with my first ticket.  No matter what, whenever I enter the meat draw, I always win the first time.  There was one time he made me wait.... but then I won twice in a row. 

My husband is a US Veteran and was out hunting.  We went out for dinner last night after he got back.