Author Topic: How do you make hamburgers?  (Read 2160 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
How do you make hamburgers?
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »
I usually just do the ground sirloin beef (if it's not too expensive) or a mix of that with ground chuck, depending on how many I'm making. I'll form the patties using a certain tupperware lid that I have (so that they're all the same size) and either fry or charcoal grill (today it's raining, so it's the fry pan) and add salt & pepper on each side while they are cooking.

I've done the Lipton's onion soup mix burgers that I really like, but I couldn't find the soup mix at the store today, so I'm thinking of adding A-1 steak sauce and a bit of garlic and chopped onion to my beef mix before forming the patties, just to kick it up a notch.

I fry on high heat, flipping the burgers after about 5 minutes, then after another 5 minutes, I'll add a splash of water and swirl the pan to liquify the cooked juices. I'll top with cheese and cover until the cheese is melted.

Just curious . . . how do you make hamburgers? What sort of spices do you mix with the meat (if any) and do you have any techniques that you use for cooking the burgers?

Katana_Geldar

Re: How do you make hamburgers?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
We buy patties, it's just easier that way and the ones we get are pretty tasty. I lithe my burger with everything. Lettuce, tomato, cheese, onions, egg, bacon, beetroot, patties and barbecue sauce. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »
My DH doesn't cook often but he decided to become our burger master. This is his method.

Half ground sirloin
Half ground chuck
One egg
finely diced jalepenos or green chilis depending on who he is feeding
Garlic powder, salt pepper, smoked paprika, Worchetshire sauce.

Loosely hand form into 1/3 pound patties. Let's sit for 1/2 an hour in fridge while heating outside grill.

But's flat grill pan on grill and heats to searing hot. Sears for about 3 min on each side to get a charred crust.

Covers with a pan but sprays a little water underneath to steam till done.

Tops with everyone's preferred cheese to melt before serving.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »
I've added a little barbecue sauce and some Montreal steak seasoning. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »
This is my recipe:

One pound of hamburger (you can use chuck, sirloin, whatever you want)
One onion minced fine
paprika (About a tablespoon maybe?)
garlic powder (tablespoon of this too)
Onion powder (a tsp)
salt and pepper (1/2 tsp of each)

Mix and form into patties and cook to desired doneness. I just use a skillet. You can put cheese on it or whatever you like. I like making a black n blue burger and put blue cheese on mine, and put lettuce on top and a bunch of mayonnaise. Messiest thing ever.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 11:32:20 PM »
For beef burgers:

1lb lean ground beef
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs or oatmeal
1 onion, diced fine
salt and pepper
~1 tsp dried oregano

I make 1/4 pound burgers, grill them on the outdoor grill with barbecue sauce, maybe a little Montreal steak spice.  Serve with lettuce, sliced dills, tomatoes, onion, mustard, ketchup or barbecue sauce.

For turkey burgers:
1 lb ground turkey
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs or oatmeal
1 onion, diced fine
salt and pepper
2 to 3 fresh sage leaves, diced fine
the leaves from a good sized sprig of summer savoury, diced fine
~1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped rough or fine, your choice

I grill these on my indoor grill, mainly because of the lack of fat and I'm worried about them sticking on the outdoor grill.  I serve these on the flat buns with mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, baby spinach, sliced tomatoes and onion and sweet pickles.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:42:34 PM »
I use the ground beef mix from the supermarket ( not sure what's in it). for each kilo /two pounds I add 
black pepper, cinnamon or baharat ( spice mixture), hot paprika a few glugs of ketchup and  half cup of seltzer or water plus a pinch baking soda. let the mixture sit in the fridge for about 30+ minutes then take out, shape and grill or roll in panko and bake. I just bought one of those burger shapers; not sure if it's worth the bother..

( I use koshered meat so it's salty and I don't add extra salt. these come out like kebabs. freeze well.)

I also make chicken burgers which are more Asian style if you want: for each one kilo/two lbs ground chicken breast:
I add one egg, d soy sauce, chili sauce ( or honey and chili flakes), grated onion, garlic powder, ground ginger, lemon zest and juice and seltzer or water + baking soda, abiut half cup of bread crumbs oir pankox, let sit then shape and grill or rol in panko and bake

a tip I learned- when using ground beef, miux very lightly and when using chicken mix very vigorously.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cwm

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
BF gets rib rub from a co-worker (it's amazing, but I don't think it's sold commercially and I'd have no idea how to reproduce it), and he kneds the rib rub into a big bowl of ground beef before making patties. Usually he grills them outside, but I've made them in the oven or on the stovetop before.

Personally I like garlic chunks mixed in, as well as celery seed (I put it in almost everything), some red pepper or chili powder, and then whatever else is in the cabinet that would work. I've also made some before when it got kind of dry, I added a bit of soy sauce and they were the juciest things I've ever had.

I'll have to try some of these other variations, they all look delicious.

Chip2

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
Sliders!

I sautee about a 1/4 cup of finely diced onion and a teaspoon of finely diced garlic with a good pinch of salt then let the mix cool. (You can also use dried onion and garlic flakes.)

I mix equal amounts of bison and lamb with salt (1/2 tsp/pound of meat), a half portion of pepper, the onion and garlic, and maybe a few herbs. I roll out 2-ounce balls then pat them to 1/2 inch thick and sear them in a skillet or on a griddle. I cut dinner rolls in half, butter them lightly, and grill them until nicely browned, and serve the burgers on them.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »
In the food processor!

Basic recipe I always use - 500g / 1lb low-fat mince, teaspoon of salt, 1 onion, 4-5 mushrooms, 1 egg, some garlic.  Process it till smooth, make patties, fry in a little olive oil till cooked.

The last couple of batches I've done have sort of turned into vege patties with a bit of meat...  I've added carrots, potato and sweet potato, processed it all smooth, breadcrumbed and fried.  They're very tasty, but I still prefer the basic.  I've also tried the basic with added bacon.  Mmmm!

I started doing this because of a fussy child - "hated" onions (but loved onion rings from Hungry Jacks  ::) ) so I did this to hide them in the patties.  I also find the food processor tends to remove some of the hidden fat - the blades and bowl always collect some.

(and my dogs sometimes get a special onion-free batch too.  No, they're not spoilt, why do you ask?   ;D)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 07:13:05 PM »
I'm really liking the different recipes that are coming up here.

Especially Hmmmmm's use of finely diced jalepenos (YUM! must do next time!)

Chip2's recipe with sauteing the onions and garlic before adding to the meat mixture is a great thought. Plus the idea of sliders, instead of full out burgers is a wonderful idea (except I've never seen bison available at my local grocery.)

I just bought one of those burger shapers; not sure if it's worth the bother..

What I use isn't a burger shaper per se, it's just a lid from one of my round plastic bowls that is perfect sized for shaping burgers. ;) I put down a sheet of wax paper on top of the lid, then press the meat by hand until it fills the lid. I prefer using this as opposed to shaping by hand because all the burgers are uniform in size so they cook in the same amount of time.

Question: Do your burgers puff up? Mine shrink down in width, but they puff up to about twice the thickness. Which isn't bad, they are still tasty, but maybe I should make thinner but larger patties?

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
We use about a pound and a half to two pounds of ground beef (it MUST be 80/20 mix). 

We take one package of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix, a 1/2 of a small diced onion (cooked), 1 egg, beaten, maybe a 1/4 cup (?) of bread crumbs, a splash of milk, and a T of Worchestire sauce.  Combine all that stuff until it makes a binder then mix in the ground beef.  Husband forms the patties into 1/3 to 1/2 pound burgers (he uses a piece of 4" PVC pipe he had around - it makes them the perfect size if you form the patties inside the pipe then push them out) and grills them on the BBQ outside.  He doesn't like cheese on his but I do - so for mine, he puts one slice of cheese on the bun, then when he brings the burgers in from the grill, puts another slice on top then the top of the bun.  They melt together perfectly.

And now I know what I want for dinner sometime this weekend. :D

Chip2

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »
Chip2's recipe with sauteing the onions and garlic before adding to the meat mixture is a great thought. Plus the idea of sliders, instead of full out burgers is a wonderful idea (except I've never seen bison available at my local grocery.)

You can use beef instead of bison, or even turkey. Or you could go with 100% lamb burgers and top them with tzatziki and olives for a Greek flair.

Kaypeep

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 05:45:56 PM »
I don't have a precise recipe so I'd say just use proportions based on your taste. 
2 pounds of ground chuck (80/20 mix)
Kosher salt and pepper
Blue cheese

Add salt and pepper to beef and mix.  Then add crumbled blue cheese and form into patties. (You want them thick, probably 1/3 a pound each.

Grill and serve on a toasted bun with (KEY INGREDENT HERE) Peter Luger's Steak Sauce, Lettuce, Tomato and pickles.

Onions are optional.

MOM21SON

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »
This is my recipe:

One pound of hamburger (you can use chuck, sirloin, whatever you want)
One onion minced fine
paprika (About a tablespoon maybe?)
garlic powder (tablespoon of this too)
Onion powder (a tsp)
salt and pepper (1/2 tsp of each)

Mix and form into patties and cook to desired doneness. I just use a skillet. You can put cheese on it or whatever you like. I like making a black n blue burger and put blue cheese on mine, and put lettuce on top and a bunch of mayonnaise. Messiest thing ever.

Pretty much as I do except I mix the blue cheese crumbles in with the meat mixture.