Author Topic: I have literally nothing to do at work - please help.  (Read 5359 times)

Hillia

Re: I have literally nothing to do at work - please help.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
who remembers the old days, when you could download a utility that would pop up a dummy Excel spreadsheet at the press of a button?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

NestHolder

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
When I had nothing to do at work, I used to write letters - type them, I should say.  Mild theft of company notepaper, but at least it made me look productive.  Could you compose letters, and perhaps email them to your home address to print at home?  It's easily interruptable but at least you look busy!  And people love to receive real letters.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
Ugh. Jobs like these are the worst.

I agree with everybody else about training in some sort of computer program. Maybe ask your temp agency what type of skills you can improve on in order to receive a better assignment next time.

CakeBeret

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 06:41:15 PM »
To answer a few questions...

Why I have so little to do: They use a needly complex system and the previous temps have struggled to grasp it. I learned it fairly quickly. Combine that with the fact that I'm a pretty efficient gal, I get done in 2 hours what took previous temps 4-5 hours. Also I'm expected to handle the switchboard, so even if I don't have any active work I have to be there to answer the phones.

Helping other workers: I am tied to my desk, again because of the phones. So I am not free to hang out with coworkers to learn more or chat with them.

Improving skills: a good idea but I'm not sure where to start. I work in Excel all day and I've never run into a situation that's out of my depth there. I don't use powerpoint in my field.

My temp agency: They already know that it's not working out and are trying to find another assignment for me. This is a problem client who's been through 4 other temps already for this position. I haven't discussed the boredom issue with them because I wanted to focus on the most important issue and not make it seem like I'm whining about every little thing. Plus, since I/we are actively looking for other work for me, I'm afraid it might come across as whiny if I were to talk to them about this issue.

All in all, I really appreciate all the advice offered. I did start a personal writing project today and that definitely helped the time pass.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »
If you work in excel, maybe taking some access lessons would be a good idea.  Not sure how comfortable you are with databases, but it's a good skill to have. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »
If you work in excel, maybe taking some access lessons would be a good idea.  Not sure how comfortable you are with databases, but it's a good skill to have.

Agree, Access would be the next step and one many people don't take. Our business manager used to only use Excel, but after a course is a big fan of Access. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

z_squared82

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »
Start reading all the articles and/or blogs about this particular field of work. Not front-desk-help, but whatever the company does. I remember when I started at my law office, they had very little of me to do, so I spent hours reading an online legal dictionary. Boring as all get out, but at least I looked like I was improving myself.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 03:06:46 AM »
You have my sympathy. Being bored really takes it out of you. It's more exhausting when you get home than when you've been crazy busy.

Do they require that you "look busy"? That's even worse. I worked in a store that used to have maybe one or two customers during my shift. Horrible. But they didn't like it when I appeared idle. All shelves were fully stocked, and the countertops were squeaky clean. I would take merchandise off the shelves, wipe the shelves (already clean because the person on the last shift had already done that out of their own boredom), and then put the merchandise back. I cleaned off the phone. I studied the flyer. It was painful.

Sometimes I would write, and make to-do lists for when I got home. If a manager walked by, I'd straighten the already-straight shelves. I'm getting very tired just thinking about it. If only they'd just admitted there was nothing to do and allowed us to read magazines or something, that would have eased the pain somewhat.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »
You have my sympathy. Being bored really takes it out of you. It's more exhausting when you get home than when you've been crazy busy.

Do they require that you "look busy"? That's even worse. 

In my store the mantra is "there's always SOMETHING to do" well, sometiems there isn't. like in Jan/Feb when its deadly slow, we have no shipment, its been slow all day, so when I come in for my closing shift, EVERYTHING has been done. And it really irks me to have to take down, and refold a perfectly fine pile of something, simply to look busy. Thankfully, managers are pretty good about sending folks home if there are no customers, and nothing for us to do.

CakeBeret

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 09:18:25 AM »
Yes, they do require me to look busy. And you're right, it's **exhausting**. I think my brain cells are dying!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

ggreg7

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »
Yes, they do require me to look busy. And you're right, it's **exhausting**. I think my brain cells are dying!

I've been in your shoes.  My husband used to ask me what I did that day.  I'd tell him that I'd answered two questions, an email and took a phone call.  And that was an exciting and busy day!!!!  I was ACTIVELY looking but couldn't find the right fit so a paycheck was better than none.  In case you are wondering, yes, my boss knew I wasn't busy at all.

A position opened up that was similar to what I wanted to be doing.  I applied and got it.  They molded the new job around me because they knew me and knew that I was a loyal employee.  I LOVE my new job and couldn't be any happier!

Just wanted you to know that sometimes it can work out!

Jones

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
Start crafting Christmas decorations and hanging them about the office  ;D

I've been known to do that (an hour or less) at my current job. Wouldn't dream of it at any of my previous.

Ezeesee

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
I was in a very similar temp job for a few months, with absolutely nothing to do but had to stay by the main phone. I started hand-writing short stories just for something to do, which improved my creative writing skills and my handwriting!

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 02:31:17 AM »
And it really irks me to have to take down, and refold a perfectly fine pile of something, simply to look busy.

Oh, the memories are too painful. That is, I think, what made me realize their HAD to be a better use for my brain than this. So I went back to school. I don't necessarily think that's the answer for everyone, nor the ONLY way to get better use out of your brain, but it was definitely my motivator. The taking down of a perfectly good display, to wipe one speck of dust off it, and then re-build the display...I believe my brain cells were dying also.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »
And it really irks me to have to take down, and refold a perfectly fine pile of something, simply to look busy.

Oh, the memories are too painful. That is, I think, what made me realize their HAD to be a better use for my brain than this. So I went back to school. I don't necessarily think that's the answer for everyone, nor the ONLY way to get better use out of your brain, but it was definitely my motivator. The taking down of a perfectly good display, to wipe one speck of dust off it, and then re-build the display...I believe my brain cells were dying also.

Sadly, its my second job, and i need the $$. If I didin't, I wouldn't still be doing it. I've gotten good at coming out and telling them, hey, i'm bored, either send me home, or find me a project. 

Yeah, I have some CWs who are very meticulous, and will refold an entire pile, when maybe just the top couple need it, and the rest straightened. I'm hoping soon i can quit :)