Author Topic: Remembrance Day rudeness?  (Read 4015 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Remembrance Day rudeness?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »
Wow, I'm Australian too, and have never heard of a supermarket requesting shoppers to stop/be silent at 11am on 11th November! And the four times thing definitely suggests to me that there was a glitch.

I think it was fine to keep going about your business. Even the first time, provided you were quiet, it wasn't rude to go on shopping. However, if I was going to check-out, I'd wait til the minute's silence was over before approaching the cashier, etc.

It is done all across Canada.  Almost everything, everywhere stops for those two minutes.  I have even seen cars pull over to the side of the road and people get out to do their observance.

It would be most definitely rude and disrespectful to continue to shop in Canada.  Remembrance Day is a very serious and solemn holiday there. 

Big shopping corporations, usually new companies opening up from the US, have gotten quite the lambasting from the public for even conducting big Remembrance Day sales in Canada.  They are very common in the US, but not in Canada. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »
I think one of the issues is as OP identified - people don't always hear, or process the information.

I recall one year I had been in court with a client. after coming out I popped into the supermarket to pick up a sandwich - I must have come in just as the announcement was made, and hadn't heard it.  I hadn't looked at my watch to check what time it was and I only 'twigged' after walking well into the shop and started to check the relevant shelves.  When I realised I stopped and waited for the remainder of the 2 minutes.

I think that because there tends to be a lot of background noise and announcement in big shops that it would be very easy to miss the announcement, if you're not making a conscious effort to listen, as you wouldn't necessarily process the fact that it is announcing a 2 minute silence as opposed to a sale, or special offer, or call for extra staff to the tills, or whatever.

I agree with this, and oftentimes when I'm grocery shopping or running errands, I have headphones in specifically to tune out all of the annoying in-store announcements, promotions, bad music, etc. I would likely not notice the remembrance announcement unless I happened to see everyone around me standing completely still and then I'd take out an earbud to see what's going on.

This actually seems like it could be an issue if they had to make an announcement related to a safety issue.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
FWIW, in the US Memorial Day and Veteran's Day are two different days.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »
It wouldn't be rude, IMO, to continue to shop as long as you don't interfere with other's observance of the moment of silence.

People may have a reason not to observe the moment of silence.  Maybe they are protesting the military in general, maybe they are protesting a particular war or peace keeping mission, maybe they aren't native to the country and don't observe the moment of silence because they don't know anyone involved in any of the major world conflicts.  And that is their right.

As long as they don't interfere with others, the way the father in the 'A Pittance of Time' video did, they're not rude.  It would mean that they would have to wait, quietly, in the checkout line if they just happened to get there at 11:00 when the observance of the two minutes of silence was announced, though.

In the OP's case, I think there was an obvious glitch with the system.  She did her observance the first time.  It may or may not have been right at 11:00 that she did it but she was fine to carry on when the PA system seemed to be glitching.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »
Wow, I'm Australian too, and have never heard of a supermarket requesting shoppers to stop/be silent at 11am on 11th November! And the four times thing definitely suggests to me that there was a glitch.

I think it was fine to keep going about your business. Even the first time, provided you were quiet, it wasn't rude to go on shopping. However, if I was going to check-out, I'd wait til the minute's silence was over before approaching the cashier, etc.

It is done all across Canada.  Almost everything, everywhere stops for those two minutes.  I have even seen cars pull over to the side of the road and people get out to do their observance.

It would be most definitely rude and disrespectful to continue to shop in Canada.  Remembrance Day is a very serious and solemn holiday there. 

Big shopping corporations, usually new companies opening up from the US, have gotten quite the lambasting from the public for even conducting big Remembrance Day sales in Canada.  They are very common in the US, but not in Canada.

That's very interesting. In Australia, the "stop, be silent, and remember" thing is not is not taken quite that far. Schools and workplaces usually announce a minute's silence at 11am, and everyone is expected to remain quiet. But I've never seen cars pull over before. Nor - until the OP's post - had I heard of supermarkets requesting that shoppers stop and remember.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »
I live in Canada, and I used to work in a store. They always made an announcement to observe the two minutes of silence, and stopped running the cash registers for that two minutes. I found it irritating in that, if they REALLY wanted to be respectful, they'd close the store for the day (as used to be the case for all stat holidays) to allow employees to go to the local cenotaph and pay their respects. Not that everyone would necessarily do that, but it's the purpose of the day, isn't it? Not to make money, but to remember. I thought it was pretty lame of them to keep the store open and then pretend to be observing Remembrance Day.

As for the OP, she's off the hook because it sounds very much like a glitch.

Ms Aspasia

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 07:40:54 AM »
I observed the silence at my desk, in an area that was not particularly quiet.  A supermarket is an awkward place to try to request or require an observance from all. Customers who want to observe can find a location to reflect.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
FWIW, in the US Memorial Day and Veteran's Day are two different days.

Right.  Veteran's Day used to be called Armistice Day and marks the end of WWI. Now, it's used to honor those who served in the Armed Forces.  It isn't a solemn observance.

Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day because it was a day to honor those who died in service to the USA and graves are decorated with flowers and flags.    That's the time when poppies are sold here.     

menley

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »
I think one of the issues is as OP identified - people don't always hear, or process the information.

I recall one year I had been in court with a client. after coming out I popped into the supermarket to pick up a sandwich - I must have come in just as the announcement was made, and hadn't heard it.  I hadn't looked at my watch to check what time it was and I only 'twigged' after walking well into the shop and started to check the relevant shelves.  When I realised I stopped and waited for the remainder of the 2 minutes.

I think that because there tends to be a lot of background noise and announcement in big shops that it would be very easy to miss the announcement, if you're not making a conscious effort to listen, as you wouldn't necessarily process the fact that it is announcing a 2 minute silence as opposed to a sale, or special offer, or call for extra staff to the tills, or whatever.

I agree with this, and oftentimes when I'm grocery shopping or running errands, I have headphones in specifically to tune out all of the annoying in-store announcements, promotions, bad music, etc. I would likely not notice the remembrance announcement unless I happened to see everyone around me standing completely still and then I'd take out an earbud to see what's going on.

This actually seems like it could be an issue if they had to make an announcement related to a safety issue.

Perhaps, but I've never yet encountered such a situation.

Rohanna

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 11:47:49 AM »
I would wonder if it was specifically a store announcement, or simply the radio station they were tuned to? Where I live (in Canada) the local radio stations do the announcement- so any car/house/store/clinic tuned to the local stations will hear the request.

It is considered an extremely solemn and important holiday where I live.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
I would wonder if it was specifically a store announcement, or simply the radio station they were tuned to? Where I live (in Canada) the local radio stations do the announcement- so any car/house/store/clinic tuned to the local stations will hear the request.

It is considered an extremely solemn and important holiday where I live.

I worked at a Grocery store in Alberta for many years and usually worked the holiday.  The manager or whomever was in charge usually did the announcement. Not once did I not see anyone follow the protocol.  Even today, I would be aghast to see someone continuing to shop. 

fountainof

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »
In my province most things cannot be open until 1pm so we don't have this issue really.  I guess maybe at McDonalds or something like that is open, in all my 40 years of life the only public place I will ever have been at 11am on 11/11 is my office.  I will say I think it is bit weird to have an observance in a store.  If one wants to be so observant that they have the moment of silence why would they go out in public that day at that time?  If the store owner is really into the observance (maybe it is a legal thing?) I would say just close for an hour or so.  I am not really not a public display of observance kind of person so I would stand there, probably all the multiple times but I would be so uncomfortable.  I would love to be a person that didn't observe just because someone tells me too but I am too much of a coward to just continue shopping and make a statement like that. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:23:32 PM by fountainof »

CakeEater

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
In Australia, we have Anzac Day in April that is probably our main day of respect. Remembrance day isn't a holiday here. Nothing closes, but generally the minute's silence is observed in schools etc. There was no radio playing in the shopping centre.

Shea

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »

I agree. At my workplace (a university library) we made an announcement asking students to observe the two minutes' silence, and as far as I could see, people were pretty good about it. Of course, it's a library, so students are inclined to be quiet anyway, but it would be viewed as very disrespectful if a student had, say, gone up to the desk and tried to check a book out during that time.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »
In Australia, we have Anzac Day in April that is probably our main day of respect. Remembrance day isn't a holiday here. Nothing closes, but generally the minute's silence is observed in schools etc. There was no radio playing in the shopping centre.
I wouldn't say that. Remembrance Day is more solemn. Anzac Day you also have two-up, and service people on leave in the capital cities.

I LOVE being in the CBD the night of Anzac Day. So many good looking guys in uniform...